Ecosystems Miracle Mud

Miracle Mud - Do You OR Have You Used It?

• Total voters

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to try this stuff for awhile now, since I pulled the skimmer from my Reefer 250 last week and I am relying on the @SantaMonica RAIN2 as my primary filtration I now have room to implement the mud!

I grabbed 5lbs from @MarineDepot and dumped into a critter cage, added 2 cups of tank water to the mud and let it sit over night. This morning I put the mud into my sump. Sump was cloudy for a minute or so and cleared up, the cloudiness moved to the display. Tank should be cleared up when I get home this afternoon. I actually may add another 5lbs to the system in the coming weeks.

Have you used Mircale Mud, what are your thoughts?

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do think the miracle mud is an effective method my gut feel is that the macro algae and in your case the algae turf scrubber is the most important part of the system.
And similar effects can be had with much less expensive materials.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to try this stuff for awhile now, since I pulled the skimmer from my Reefer 250 last week and I am relying on the @SantaMonica RAIN2 as my primary filtration I now have room to implement the mud!

I grabbed 5lbs from @MarineDepot and dumped into a critter cage, added 2 cups of tank water to the mud and let it sit over night. This morning I put the mud into my sump. Sump was cloudy for a minute or so and cleared up, the cloudiness moved to the display. Tank should be cleared up when I get home this afternoon. I actually may add another 5lbs to the system in the coming weeks.

Have you used Mircale Mud, what are your thoughts?

IMG_3344.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3359.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG
I haven't tried it, but I like the concept behind it. The only reason I went with Walt Smith's Fiji Mud is because the Miracle Mud is dried out as part of the process. That has the positive effect of killing any dangerous hitchhikers and providing a cleaner product. I wanted the increased biodiversity so wanted something that had oceanic bacteria.

Had I started with true live rock instead of dry rock I would likely have gone the MM route.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying a bit of the WS fiji mud for the reason mentioned by Brew....I started with dry rock and wanted to the oceanic biodiversity.

On a side note, what did you replace your filter socks with?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it. I wish I put it in a tub like yours now I have to scrape it out when changing. I think it works.. Its like taking a vitamin, you really will never know.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do think the miracle mud is an effective method my gut feel is that the macro algae and in your case the algae turf scrubber is the most important part of the system.
And similar effects can be had with much less expensive materials.

I agree with you 100% - I've wanted to try this "mud" out for awhile and with limited space now is the time to give it a try. I've heard both ways that people are happy with it and others state they saw nothing positive nor negative.

I haven't tried it, but I like the concept behind it. The only reason I went with Walt Smith's Fiji Mud is because the Miracle Mud is dried out as part of the process. That has the positive effect of killing any dangerous hitchhikers and providing a cleaner product. I wanted the increased biodiversity so wanted something that had oceanic bacteria.

Had I started with true live rock instead of dry rock I would likely have gone the MM route.

Hmmm Maybe I'll give that a try after I let the MM run its course! I'm not in the know on the Walt Smith Fiji Mud so I am going to look that up now! Thanks!

I'm trying a bit of the WS fiji mud for the reason mentioned by Brew....I started with dry rock and wanted to the oceanic biodiversity.

On a side note, what did you replace your filter socks with?

I'm going to look up the Fiji mud right now and read up on it! I am using acrylic containers made by Anything Acrylic (They are pricey because they came from Australia). @MarineDepot offers a similar product if you search for "filter cup". I don't believe MarineDepot offered these when I got mine, and I prefer the clear over the colors personally.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it. I wish I put it in a tub like yours now I have to scrape it out when changing. I think it works.. Its like taking a vitamin, you really will never know.

Its like taking a vitamin, you really will never know. This is VERY true! I am working with an acrylic guy who made my ATO to make a container to better fit my sump. For the time being this container works, if I decide to add my skimmer back to the tank the current container won't work so well for me. The struggles of a small sump, never again!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no actual org Inc natural mud in the miracle mud. It’s a substrate. Man made. The ecosystem method was a combination of DSB and macroalge refugium. It’s meant to be used with a rooting Calurpa.

That said, a lot of folks use it the way the op is with good sucess.

If google weren’t to terrible now a days, you could find the old analysis of it. Old Reefing scandal. Its mostly play sand.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the lead on the filter cups....I've cut the bottoms out of a few socks just so I can keep some nutrient levels up, so this looks like a good alternative so I can just swap in socks when needed.

OP
OP
pelphrey

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no actual org Inc natural mud in the miracle mud. It’s a substrate. Man made. The ecosystem method was a combination of DSB and macroalge refugium. It’s meant to be used with a rooting Calurpa.

That said, a lot of folks use it the way the op is with good sucess.

If google weren’t to terrible now a days, you could find the old analysis of it. Old Reefing scandal. Its mostly play sand.

Thanks for your input! I have no expectations on what will or will not change. Just an experiment I wanted to try and now is the time since I am not running my skimmer. I just want to see what all of the fuss about!

Thanks for the lead on the filter cups....I've cut the bottoms out of a few socks just so I can keep some nutrient levels up, so this looks like a good alternative so I can just swap in socks when needed.

My pleasure! I really like them and I never remove them, I do run mechanical filtration on top of the pond matrix from time to time!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back