Ecotech Controller?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SmockKnives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so a little info first. I originally posted this on another forum and got lots of insults and reasons why this will not work. Personally I thought most if not all the reasons were weak. Now if you are happy with your current controller and don't like my idea, that is totally fine. But please be respectful and a simple, "I love my system and it works great as is" works just fine. No reason to call me stupid. I'm a product designer and have designed thousands of products and I'm listed as inventor on 7 patents. So I'm not stupid. I may be wrong and that is perfectly ok. No one system will fit everyone but when I sit back and look at my current options is just makes sense. So please give me your input. I'm mostly looking for reasons on how to improve the idea.

Ok I've been out of the hobby for a while and just got back into it. My last controller was a ReefKeeper 2. So now that I'm back the first thing I needed to do was decide if my old equipment was worth keeping and if not, what do I replace it with? Most of today's components have their own internal or remote controls. Just a couple of examples AI Hydra, Radion, Vortech pumps, auto top off units, and dosing pumps. You almost don't need a controller at all. I've had my new system hooked up to a DJ light bar for over a month and everything worked just fine. My only problem is I didn't know my PH and I couldn't have back up controls for my heater. Plus I wanted to add extra float valves for backups and control of my BRS dosing pumps. I hate plug in timers. But in reality everything could have been done without a controller. This would have been crazy 5+ years ago. Nothing had internal controls. So my point is, that if you want to sell controllers you need to step up the game. From what I can tell, Digital Aquatics are asleep at the wheel and I guess they will be gone in the near future. Nothing new coming from them in a while. Now Neptune.. yes they are innovating and probably at the top of the food chain right now. I bought one. And after 12 hours and 3 hours with tech support, I'm still not up and running. Not to mention having to send them $150 for them to send me a replacement part. Yep their fault and I've spent $680 and still not working. I'm suppose to get the $150 back once I return the old unit but in the mean time I'm out $150. Not cool. I've read a ton of comments on people having problems with updates and not connecting. I love the idea of being able to get online to monitor and control everything but if software updates crash your system can you really trust it? The customer support staff was nice but it took 3 hours of trying the same thing 30 times to figure out it's a bad unit. This process should have taken 5 minutes. Just saying.. Meanwhile I got one of the new Vortech MP40 quiet drives and it arrived not so quiet. Like a boat motor. Called Ecotech and in 5 minutes I was giving my address for a new wet side. They sent it out with a return shipping label and a free gift for my time. Fast and no hassle. Granted it wasn't as expensive of a part but I've had several calls into Ecotech or Aqua Illuminations and those guys are customer service at it's best.
Yes yes so what is my point? I would really like to see another controller product on the market, and yes from Ecotech/AI. You guys might be like, "so what"? Well I'm a product designer and I know companies do listen to feedback. Well at least they should. Sometimes it takes someone to say, "Hey Ecotech build it and they will come". Now will anyone from there read this? I have no clue but it makes me feel better by posting this and at least it's not another, "which skimmer is best". Got to give me credit for originality.
And if we are going to ask them to make it, what do we want it to be? Me personally I want a system that is designed to WORK, not designed to make me buy more stuff. I would have swore but can't remember if I'm aloud. lol Buy a module here, buy a module there... why didn't you think of putting it in the main unit in the first place? Oh ya to get me to spend more money. And I'm sorry but at $530 for a simple brain no smarter than a MP3 player and a $15 power bar, that is just a rip off. I can buy a HP laptop for $530. Input in - display, power outlet on/off. Rocket science. So if I'm going to pay $530 I want enough outlets to run a typical system; not just short so I have to buy another power block, and all the input outlets we would need for that system. I can totally see a Nano, Reef, and Pro systems. I'll focus on the Reef or midsize system as an example. The typical system most would need and I'm ok with around a $500 price tag for this system. Ok how many outlets do we need? Typical system; ATO, return, powerheads, skimmer, 2 dosing pumps, heater, light, reactor, and sump light. So right off the bat all systems that only give 8 outlets are not enough. Say 10-12 total on a base system. You know all of you have a simple power block under your stand. Nano could have less because you usually don't have a sump or dosing pumps so you could get away with 6. Pro system maybe two 10-12 outlet blocks. But 8 just isn't enough and they know it.
Next is monitoring. Reef or middle level system. What would you like to see on it? Personally; PH, ORP, Salinity, Temp, float/switch inputs, leak detection.. you might have others. But they should all have BUILT IN PORTS! Totally understandable that you might have to buy the actual probes or switches but the unit should have them built in. No buying another module to control something that a $530 controller should have already. Ridiculous. If I want to add salinity probe to my system I should just have to buy the probe and plug it in. Not run more wires and mount another module. More money and more possible areas for problems.
Now... wireless. Built it in! And one of the reasons I recommend Ecotech for this project. Beside excellent customer support, built in the USA, they already have wireless control of Vortech pumps, and two of the most popular LED lights out there. No more Director or more modules. Have the controller with built in wireless that can automatically connect to any Vortech, Hydra, or Radion. Imagine all the wires and clutter you could eliminate! Wow! Now to take it up a notch, come out with wireless feeders, webcams, and dosing pumps. A controller with built in wireless has endless possibilities for new products. Just plug in the power to the controller and connect.
Display.. do we really need one? Now this can be an add on. But again build a port for it on the main unit. No module. I like to see what my tank is doing via the display but if the unit is wireless, I would just use my phone or computer. I believe both Reefkeeper and Apex you can do online or phone control but connecting and updating seem to be a huge issue. This I don't have a lot of advise other than make it simple and make it work. Personally I would like to buy an iPad Mini and mount it right beside my tank just for tank control and calendar for scheduling maintenance. Something I've been wanting since day one.
Now I'm sure I'll get some nasty grams for this post but my honest intent is to push the market to come out with something done right instead of done to cheat us into spending more money. If you want me to spend more money, come out with a skimmer that wirelessly tells my wireless controller that the cup is full. Or a product that eliminates all the clutter of modules and wires. Trust me Neptune and Digital Aquatics we know when we are being ripped off. Unfortunately we can't do anything about it at the moment. Hopefully someone... Ecotech, will step up and do the right thing. Because honestly systems today do not 'NEED' a controller. So it has to be really compelling benefit to buy one.

And anyone that wants to step up to the plate, let me know, I'll sign a waver and give you all my ideas I have to help. I've designed thousands of products and know I could help. Just my two cents. Let me know your thoughts. And if you are going to give reasons why not this will work, please add how it can be changed to work. The goal is better products to help this wonderful hobby. And if you are like me and what them to make something, let them know. Sometimes the only way to get new products is to ask for them.

OP
OP
S

SmockKnives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to add to that idea. I would like to see the sensor ports and power block be one unit. Less clutter, less wires, and less places for something to go wrong. Same as before, but if modularity is so important to some people, could you make the input section changeable? I just did an Hydra upgrade to my old Sol and I like how the unit was designed so the end user could upgrade it. So with that, make the board inside the controller have input ports that you can attach anything to. So if a user wanted PH, Salinity, Temp, and 4 float valve ports, they could just buy those input ports and connect them to the board. Kinda like the wireless module on the Vortech pumps. You want to add ORP? Just add this port to your controller. Now all the haters would say, "Isn't that the same as modules". No, it's still all in one unit, less wires, less cost because you don't have to pay for plastic housing-bus cable-packaging, less connection points to go wrong, and people don't have to pay for what they don't want. I would still include wireless built in and control of your own brand products built in. Same increased outlets but just make the input area changeable. Hmm again just a thought.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise to not come across like I am attacking you or calling you stupid, even though I saw little of that in your thread on RC. Since you've brought this thread over here I will add my thoughts here as well. I think you have a good idea. Good, but in my opinion, not great. I like the way the Digital Aquatics and then shortly thereafter Neptune, have chosen to take a modular approach to their systems. It adds to making a system neat and organized as well as cutting down on the amount of features that I have to pay for but do not want or need. I also feel that it is not financially feasible to pull off for the price point that you want. You talk about the "thousands of products" that you have designed, have any of them been small consumer appliances with a very limited market that is also highly competitive? I have been beta testing for Digital Aquatics for over 8 years now and I can tell you from first hand knowledge that bringing a controller like the RKE, RKL, Archon or Apex is incredibly expensive. Component design as well as software development is ongoing and pricey. If there is a company out there that can do it, that would be interesting. Look at Puratek and ReefAI and what they are or will be charging for their controllers. They are brand new to this market. To say that Neptune and DA are merely charging a lot for a handicapped or dumbed down product just to lure us in to buy more of their products is just plain wrong. I am honestly not 100% certain that many people will even pay $500 for it if it did what you are asking. I probably wouldn't now that I think about it because of the corners that they will have to cut to keep the costs down.

Just my opinion. It will be interesting to see if the responses here will be the same as elsewhere.

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great topic! Thanks for sharing!

As this is just a concept/idea, I imagine the price point discussion is pretty far down the road.

But this will be an interesting discussion indeed! Keep the feedback coming!

OP
OP
S

SmockKnives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise to not come across like I am attacking you or calling you stupid, even though I saw little of that in your thread on RC. Since you've brought this thread over here I will add my thoughts here as well. I think you have a good idea. Good, but in my opinion, not great. I like the way the Digital Aquatics and then shortly thereafter Neptune, have chosen to take a modular approach to their systems. It adds to making a system neat and organized as well as cutting down on the amount of features that I have to pay for but do not want or need. I also feel that it is not financially feasible to pull off for the price point that you want. You talk about the "thousands of products" that you have designed, have any of them been small consumer appliances with a very limited market that is also highly competitive? I have been beta testing for Digital Aquatics for over 8 years now and I can tell you from first hand knowledge that bringing a controller like the RKE, RKL, Archon or Apex is incredibly expensive. Component design as well as software development is ongoing and pricey. If there is a company out there that can do it, that would be interesting. Look at Puratek and ReefAI and what they are or will be charging for their controllers. They are brand new to this market. To say that Neptune and DA are merely charging a lot for a handicapped or dumbed down product just to lure us in to buy more of their products is just plain wrong. I am honestly not 100% certain that many people will even pay $500 for it if it did what you are asking. I probably wouldn't now that I think about it because of the corners that they will have to cut to keep the costs down.

Just my opinion. It will be interesting to see if the responses here will be the same as elsewhere.

Again it's not for everyone. I totally see people liking the modular system. Personally I would rather buy one unit and have it all built in. That's just me. I also added for the possibility for modular inputs. That should help you points. I would think that if a salinity module would cost $130, a salinity add on port to the main board would be a fraction of that, say $40? I never said the idea was perfect and the whole reason to post it was to get others to help make it better. I completely understand the viewpoint of someone that like their Apex and the modular system. But that isn't what this thread is about. It's about do you want an all in one controller from Ecotech and if so, what do you want it to be? That is the question.

OP
OP
S

SmockKnives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great topic! Thanks for sharing!

As this is just a concept/idea, I imagine the price point discussion is pretty far down the road.

But this will be an interesting discussion indeed! Keep the feedback coming!

Yes price want just a 'like to see'. Everyone keeps getting stuck on it like it's a make or break topic. I'm sure I'll be paying $400 for an Apple Watch. Before it came out I would have asked for it at $250... did that happen? No. Such is life. If the product is compelling, people will pay for it.

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that EcoTech could expand on their current technologies to make this more feasible? The ReefLink can already control the main essentials of a reef (light and flow). How hard would it be to do the same with new products?

Check out some of the EcoTech wish list products in my stickied thread "Something to think about for the weekend..."

Could these be added to ReefLink based system?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SmockKnives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that EcoTech could expand on their current technologies to make this more feasible? The ReefLink can already control the main essentials of a reef (light and flow). How hard would it be to do the same with new products?

Check out some of the EcoTech wish list products in our stickied thread "Something to think about for the weekend..."

Could these be added to ReefLink based system?

That would be ideal. The more products they can make to communicate easily with a controller the more overall products they would sell. I'll bet the ReefLink already has most of the software needed for the project. For instance.. say I need to buy a new skimmer. And I have a Ecotech controller that wirelessly controls their branded product. I have a choice of brand x or an Ecotech skimmer that has a built in wireless float switch that tells me when the cup is full and shuts the skimmer off if it is? Hmm I'm buying the Ecotech skimmer. Some will say, "wireless float switch that is witchcraft". Actually I worked on a home lighting project that used remote switches that were wireless and didn't need a battery. The physical motion of the switch activating created enough energy to send a signal to the controller. And these switches are cheap because they are simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would this controller, as you are presenting it here, only talk to Ecotech products? What about if a company already making controllers was to integrate a software solution that could talk to the Reeflink? Wouldn't that be another way to incorporate direct control over a company's products without having that company (Ecotech for example) launch into the whole process of making a new controller altogether?

OP
OP
S

SmockKnives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would this controller, as you are presenting it here, only talk to Ecotech products? What about if a company already making controllers was to integrate a software solution that could talk to the Reeflink? Wouldn't that be another way to incorporate direct control over a company's products without having that company (Ecotech for example) launch into the whole process of making a new controller altogether?

Sure, if it was built in and I didn't have to buy a module.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems to me that there is enough competitive pressure already in the marketplace to ensure that we are getting the best bang for the buck. There are at least three big players, Profilux, Neptune and Digital Aquatics, a couple of smaller upstarts and a pretty robust DIY arduino solution. If there is an untapped market for a one size fits all solution that can be brought in at a price competitive to the base plus module systems already out there, I would be surprised since we haven;t seen it yet. That doesn't mean it wont happen, but I'm not seeing the utility/benefit. The goal is to build a better mousetrap, right? Not a different or worse one.

For me, and price issues aside (I, like most people, would love everything to be dirt cheap) I think the base plus module systems work best: (a) you only pay for what you use and (b) you can place the modules where they work best and are not limited to the location of the base unit. My tank is in one room and my sump in another, I have modules and outlets spread out all over the place controlling and monitoring many outlets, switches and parameters. A single box simply wouldn't work for me.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, have you looked into the GHL Profilux yet?
It's the closest to what you are looking for and it's the best controller you can get right now.

OP
OP
S

SmockKnives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, have you looked into the GHL Profilux yet?
It's the closest to what you are looking for and it's the best controller you can get right now.

Actually no. I never heard of them until I started these threads. I looked at the website and it looks Euro based. I haven't seen it at any of my normal online retailers. So I was wondering who sold them in the US and how they were working out for US based customers.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually no. I never heard of them until I started these threads. I looked at the website and it looks Euro based. I haven't seen it at any of my normal online retailers. So I was wondering who sold them in the US and how they were working out for US based customers.
There are plenty of places to buy it here in the USA online and we even have some local stores in Houston that sell them.
Probably the biggest online source is Premium Aquatics and AquaCave.
They are a German based company but the USA presence is ever expanding and there is now a Florida based GHL USA, LLC.

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting stuff! I'll have to check GHL out as well. I'm very interested in the differences between them and current controllers!

Thanks d2mini !

nwkermit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brand new system their top of the line retail for $1600 for sale for $900 plus shipping. Even have the business card of the CEO and wife to ask question directly.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw Tim Marks, ecotech's president, give a talk at MACNA last year and he said they have always intended on the reef link becoming a full system controller. I too wish they would hurry up with it as I have experienced many frustrations with the apex as well. If you're a computer guy maybe all of the trouble it takes to hook up, even with no problems with the controller, and get online are no problem, but for someone like me it was very difficult and took a lot of time. I would gladly sell off my apex stuff for a controller that is USER FRIENDLY. Thats right, I said it USER FRIENDLY. It should be plug and play. We've become spoiled with Apple products that work right out of the box and that is what the consumer wants.

OP
OP
S

SmockKnives

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw Tim Marks, ecotech's president, give a talk at MACNA last year and he said they have always intended on the reef link becoming a full system controller. I too wish they would hurry up with it as I have experienced many frustrations with the apex as well. If you're a computer guy maybe all of the trouble it takes to hook up, even with no problems with the controller, and get online are no problem, but for someone like me it was very difficult and took a lot of time. I would gladly sell off my apex stuff for a controller that is USER FRIENDLY. Thats right, I said it USER FRIENDLY. It should be plug and play. We've become spoiled with Apple products that work right out of the box and that is what the consumer wants.

Totally agree. After having to go through the setup and update process of the Apex... I'm left feeling it should be easier. I got rid of my PC long ago and have Apple everything now. Granted, Neptune is no Apple. They don't have the resources Apple does... Obviously. But I do feel things should be plug and play. Wishful thinking, probably.

fagundespavinp3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apple Reef Controller!!! LOL. I have been hoping for such a product that could incorporate all primary functions into one easy to use plug and play system.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 185 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back