Ecotech joins BRS as a sister company..

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not good... :( For pricing and innovation. Maybe good for interoperability but I'd love to see GHL become legitimate market competition for the Apex (I run all Apex now but would like options).
I think this sentiment is thrown around a lot without much thought about it. I find it difficult to believe that something as complex as one company buying another could just be a binary "good" or "bad", and by what metric exactly? There are for sure pros and cons, but I think it would be very difficult to assess with any objectivity that something like this is "bad" especially when the news literally just broke now. At the very least if this *is* true, and *if* BRS decides to make ecotech work with Apex, then that wouldn't just be a "bad" thing considering at least one good thing came out of it, right?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...i spent some time thinking about how to say that.
Interesting

You see, I reevaluate who I do business with every single time a make a purchase. I am not rooting for a sports team.
I am not brand loyal. I don't buy at BRS because BRS.
But I buy a lot of stuff at BRS because it is the best place to get it.
Ecotech - I have my Vortechs but nothing else they make. Neptune - nothing.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry you don't understand this. As a business owner myself it is hard to properly articulate this in a way that does not sound hypocritical. I am not jumping ship just because they got bigger or they had to merge with other companies to survive. That is part of the way things are done. And I get the fact that you push work down to the little guy so you can do the bigger work...although I could go on about the sub sub contracting relationship concerns and why not just contract directly with the little guy. My bigger issue here is when you have the capital disconnected with the business operations. As business owners that run the shop you have different incentives than people who invest money and expect a return. Yes owner / operators want to make money too but it is more than just the money to most people..at least it is for me. And when it becomes JUST about the money, that is when i want to get off the train and find another ride. When venture capital get involved...more likely than not..it is about an inefficient market whereas the investors can get outsized returns on investment. Hopefully that clarifies my stance. i am not anti business, I am not anti successful business, I am not anti big business. I just want to see a reasonable balance and in my opinion, the moves made by BRS in such a short period of time make me say its time to re-evaluate with whom i do business.
Agree, well-said.

And FWIW, these are being referred to as add-on acquisitions under the BRS investment. And there are more interests, so I would think more to come…

Attachments

• 75939123-66FC-4B49-BCAD-07B940A5CCCA.png
    75939123-66FC-4B49-BCAD-07B940A5CCCA.png
    575.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 27721C5E-9ED7-44E6-8A07-4F1A4A15A07D.png
    27721C5E-9ED7-44E6-8A07-4F1A4A15A07D.png
    305.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 5B754C7B-0292-41C1-AB78-F8AE7071B99D.png
    5B754C7B-0292-41C1-AB78-F8AE7071B99D.png
    200.3 KB · Views: 91

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Did anyone notice new prices on equipment at BRS, go check.

I guess 'tis the season.

OP
OP
m.kristoff

m.kristoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
when I talked to the BRS rep, yesterday, he did say that the companies would operate within their current structure. Bertram owns all of them and is about making money. That is what capitalist groups do! I hope for the best. Now that Neptune and Eoctech are under the same umbrella, I really hope that they (Neptune and Ecotech) innovate and ingrate their products to work together again. I would Hope that BRS being the middle man can express to both what the community is looking for as far as product innovation and controllability

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone notice new prices on equipment at BRS, go check.

I guess 'tis the season.
This gets posted over and over but no one notices the new prices at the grocery.
Did you buy a turkey this year? They now cost what a standing rib roast cost 2 years ago.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This gets posted over and over but no one notices the new prices at the grocery.
Did you buy a turkey this year? They now cost what a standing rib roast cost 2 years ago.

Hence and I quote "I guess 'tis the season"

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But really. I'm happy for ecotech and neptune and BRS they have more money to use for better equipment and getting things out sooner to aquarist that need them. I hope this grows the hobby

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bertram owns all of them and is about making money. That is what capitalist groups do!

Unless you're Ark Capital...

I'm still rocking that 16 cent dividend from last year.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back