Ecotech radion g5 knock off found!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured it wasn’t as easy… lol
I can have fairly ok listening and speaking comprehension. reading and writing is on whole other ball game, which I am absolutely illiterate. Chinese people at the restaurants always make fun of me since I can speak the language, but when I order food I say it in english...

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the components in all these fixtures are fairly standard and cheap. The actual LEDs in all the fixtures are from like 2 or 3 companies and there is not a premium led source for the most expensive fixtures. What you are buying when you pay $1000 for ~$200 worth of diodes is essentially software and somebody to blame if your house burns down.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo you want to drop $600 (with bracket) for a light sold by a trading company that has been in business for a year and has service like this:
Processing Time is the timeline for an order to be manufactured, packed, and and delivered to the shipping carrier. After payment is complete, your order will ship within 10 days.
and really no real warranty...
OK...

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I was referring to V3 noop.. they are a sponsor here so you can get some support and such and 2 year warranty. I assume as long as they remain a sponsor, they would honor it.

I am a frugal reefer but I see better value in a V3 noop then the knockoff G5. It is cheaper and has support here and probably a legit warranty.

ALSO the reef uno 2.0 PRO right now is $360 - I have seen some nice tanks under this brand. I would also consider this a better value. It has support and a 3 year warranty. Price is pretty much identical to the offbrand G5. G5 with shipping is $417 and Uno 2.0 PRO is $360 + $55 mount + $15 shipping for mount so $430

As a frugal reefer I am always 'shopping around' and waiting for deals to drop.

Buying a brand new G6 is out of budget for me. It won't keep me from putting food on the table but I just can't justify it. So I get it... luckily there is always used equiptment available to buy or a large array of other lights that all still grow coral for different budgets.
I use the ledzeal.com mirage x200 with my superblue layout.
4 fixtures running at a peak of 35% per channel gives me 300 par across the entire bottom of my 8x3x2 400g.

Those 4 wifi controlled lights cost less then 3 xr15 g5.

I like these knockoffs as a possible option for my frag tanks ect, or for others looking for the aesthetics of the g5. I've got this 400g and an 8x30x2 300g on the other side of the wall behind this 400g. If I were to try and light these with the real g5 I'd be looking at around 14 fixtures. That's 14x900.00 = over 13k with taxes. Not financially smart to spend that on lighting alone.

Attachments

• 20220131_141657.jpg
    20220131_141657.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 63

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo you want to drop $600 (with bracket) for a light sold by a trading company that has been in business for a year and has service like this:

and really no real warranty...
OK...
I dont know where your coming from, but your doing the same thing you do on every mh post. Miss information mixed info ect.
The light is 377.00 WITH TANK MOUNT BRACKET. at aquarium low cost.
They have been around longer then 1 year. I purchased a number of things from them before brs carried the product. Example my kamoer x1 pro t dosers. I bought them from aquarium low cost 2 years ago, now this year brs carries them.

Guess what. If you need help with the kamoer pump brs tells you to contact coralvue as that's the USA distributor.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know where your coming from, but your doing the same thing you do on every mh post. Miss information mixed info ect.
The light is 377.00 WITH TANK MOUNT BRACKET. at aquarium low cost.
They have been around longer then 1 year. I purchased a number of things from them before brs carried the product. Example my kamoer x1 pro t dosers. I bought them from aquarium low cost 2 years ago, now this year brs carries them.

Guess what. If you need help with the kamoer pump brs tells you to contact coralvue as that's the USA distributor.
I picked a supplier..not finding "G5 knockoffs" here
Ok missed it..

It is a "common" price on Alibaba...
alibaba.JPG

I will bet it is nothing like a g5, from the circuit boards to the fans to the diodes....

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked a supplier..not finding "G5 knockoffs" here
Ok missed it..

It is a "common" price on Alibaba...
alibaba.JPG

I will bet it is nothing like a g5, from the circuit boards to the fans to the diodes....
Well im planning to get 1 to compare. Obviously the controller chip won't be the same but there's a high likelihood that the rest of it is the same. After all the g5 is NOT made in the USA. I had posted multiple links so it wasn't hard to find the light on their site.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ledzeal.com mirage x200 with my superblue layout.
4 fixtures running at a peak of 35% per channel gives me 300 par across the entire bottom of my 8x3x2 400g.

Those 4 wifi controlled lights cost less then 3 xr15 g5.

I like these knockoffs as a possible option for my frag tanks ect, or for others looking for the aesthetics of the g5. I've got this 400g and an 8x30x2 300g on the other side of the wall behind this 400g. If I were to try and light these with the real g5 I'd be looking at around 14 fixtures. That's 14x900.00 = over 13k with taxes. Not financially smart to spend that on lighting alone.

Idk what special esthetics they have?

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously the controller chip won't be the same but there's a high likelihood that the rest of it is the same.
Agree to disagree.. ;)
Shell and possibly lenses.. Hope you are correct but still betting on myself.. ;)

Actually the controller chip may be the thing that IS the same. Many seem to be using the Chinese ESP32..

The diode efficiency is going to be "the" thing though..
$400 isn't bad for 200Watts.. like the output of 2 black boxes with the advantage of channel control.

Last edited:

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all of the parts for the top reef LEDs are produced in the US? Right.
Nope that is why we are discussing the theft of intellectual property by the company selling the knock off out the back door of the factory that makes the parts for the G5 and G6.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how people are here knocking them for being crap, without any experience. Same people frying to talk people out of trying them, asking why anyone would try them. Those same people are the ones who hype the capabilities of leds and radions in particular.

Jake adams did an article about the xr15 g5 versions as well as the guy on the youtube channel reef dork. They talked about how close of a copy they really are and the app.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jake adams did an article about the xr15 g5 versions as well as the guy on the youtube channel reef dork. They talked about how close of a copy they really are and the app.
Link? The only thing I found was about a different light which looks similar but is not the counterfeit in this thread.

Still waiting to see the teardown that has been promised in this thread.

Also waiting for the links to prove Ecotech changed their processes. Up to now they source components from various global companies, but key parts and assembly is done in PA.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Link? The only thing I found was about a different light which looks similar but is not the counterfeit in this thread.

Also waiting for the links to prove Ecotech changed their processes. Up to now they source components from various global companies, but key parts and assembly is done in PA.
Yea seem to be discussing a knockoff of a knockoff . :)...... Sort of .

Screenshot_20220520-201446.png

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is the xr15 copy. Exactly what I said it was. Yeah still waiting for the tear down vid as well.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That is the xr15 copy. Exactly what I said it was. Yeah still waiting for the tear down vid as well.
It is not made by the company as your counterfeit. This one is also no where near the same design. It is a black square… but the heat sink, array and screws are different. This software is also completely different…. And the price is similar to Ecotech pricing.

The light you keep talking about is junk, just like the a360x counterfeit that someone gave their first hand experience with.

Ecotech manufactures their boards (control, led, communication) in Pa.
The case, lens, fan and power supply are made by a third party per their design. Although the parts are made somewhere else, the design, material requirement and manufacturing specs come from R&D in Pa. Fasteners, chips and thermal paste come from suppliers after being ordered by Heatsink and cables… I have not seen or heard about those so they could be made in house or brought in. They have many CNC machines for building metal parts as they showed them in one of the Versa videos. Product is done in Pa.

Could the company where they have the case molded be selling them on the side? Sure. Probably not though as Ecotech would likely cancel future business with them and find another injection molder.

This is how things are made in today’s market. Many suppliers are used so no single one controls the product. They likely have multiple sources for many parts so they are not stuck in a sole source crunch.

This counterfeit is no different than a fake Rolex or Louis Vuitton. The Chinese govt does not respect patents or trademarks. They allow people to copy designs and distribute globally with no recourse other than the occasional bust to maintain appearances.

We are all waiting for you to plunk your $400 down and show us how this light has Ecotech insides.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not made by the company as your counterfeit. This one is also no where near the same design. It is a black square… but the heat sink, array and screws are different. This software is also completely different…. And the price is similar to Ecotech pricing.

The light you keep talking about is junk, just like the a360x counterfeit that someone gave their first hand experience with.

Ecotech manufactures their boards (control, led, communication) in Pa.
The case, lens, fan and power supply are made by a third party per their design. Although the parts are made somewhere else, the design, material requirement and manufacturing specs come from R&D in Pa. Fasteners, chips and thermal paste come from suppliers after being ordered by Heatsink and cables… I have not seen or heard about those so they could be made in house or brought in. They have many CNC machines for building metal parts as they showed them in one of the Versa videos. Product is done in Pa.

Could the company where they have the case molded be selling them on the side? Sure. Probably not though as Ecotech would likely cancel future business with them and find another injection molder.

This is how things are made in today’s market. Many suppliers are used so no single one controls the product. They likely have multiple sources for many parts so they are not stuck in a sole source crunch.

This counterfeit is no different than a fake Rolex or Louis Vuitton. The Chinese govt does not respect patents or trademarks. They allow people to copy designs and distribute globally with no recourse other than the occasional bust to maintain appearances.

We are all waiting for you to plunk your $400 down and show us how this light has Ecotech insides.
Do you have one? Did you tear one down? Video proof of your claims? Or just speculation ? Your making definitive statements with zero evidence to back those up. I'm sure everyone else, just like me would love to see your video data.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it seems to me that we look at this from wrong angle...

We all talk original vs copy, but....

Lets start from beginning.... When manufactured, any led light, no matter where is produced, by who, is 50$ product. (don't quote me on exact value/cost, this is for illustrative purpose)...

So, 50$.... where in hell they find 500+$ value?

Simple..... As soon as this product is put into some fancy box, and on it someone print label "radion", "philips", "ati", "whocareswhat".... all of sudden, it's 200$ product.

In that difference, you pay a) name, b)warranty c)marketing. Another 100$ goes to software, aka app to run that unit.

So, here we are at 300$.... add taxes, add profit for someone who sells it in retail, and voila 500+$ light.

You pay for name, you pay for any possible future problems, warranty, replacements, no matter will u ever need it or not, someone will, companies don't replace units because they are good in heart, that replacement cost is already calculated in cost that end user pay.

One thing is also calculated - marketing, promotion, free samples to reefers, youtubers, celebrity, who will, then, spread the word around world, preaching gospel about "some company some product" superiority.

Chinese, or any other company simply don't do that..... They are requesting leap of faith from buyers, to cash out some more or less serious money, and try for themselves that product.

Is the product good? Is it better than "some company some product"? Is it total garbage? Nobody knows, there is no serious amount of happy or unhappy customers, no trustworthy source to tell the world about this or that product.

Even if it's a copy, rip off, it still can be better 10 times, cheaper 10 times than "some company some product". Why not? Really, there is no reason.

But again, who would trust me, or some random internet dude, who claims that this is superior and cheap product?

On the other hand, all u need is one "reputable" person, who newer seen or use such product to say "hey, its Chinese copy".... and, public opinion in second swings to "garbage" end of scale....

If some Chinese company, or any other small manufactures goes this route, and give 10,20,50,100 units to some random people on forums, YouTube, to do honest review, test, and when reports of these people are available, then we will know, at some degree of certainty is this product good, bad, or just ugly ;)

One, two or three people who take leap of faith and purchase some product simply don't have credibility versus army of "some company some product" fans/users.... for waste majority of reefers, that is...

Of course, some random manufacturer will not take this route, they goal isn't to sell gazillions of units, or even produce that number, they are happy with 10,20, 50 units that they advertise on ebay, alibaba, or some similar site... when, and if all of them is sold, they will make another 10,20,50 units, and they are happy....

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well im planning to get 1 to compare. Obviously the controller chip won't be the same but there's a high likelihood that the rest of it is the same.
I have the A360X knockoff from that brand (A+).
The only thing that is the same is the shape of the housing. All the rest, leds/lens/electronics, even the function of the knobs on top, is totally different.

So don't think A+ built their lights with original parts coming from the backdoor of the manufacturer of Ecotech parts. These scumbags just replicate the look to get money out of your pockets, everything else is different.

Back