Eel compatibility

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is gymonthorax enigmatus fish safe?
Like? I know the naokos a target but aquamarinus?
If it's a fangtooth species (which I believe almost all Gymnothorax are) and get's over a foot long, it can eat fish, and surprisingly large ones at that. Especially if it's torpedo-shaped like most wrasses.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a fangtooth species (which I believe almost all Gymnothorax are) and get's over a foot long, it can eat fish, and surprisingly large ones at that. Especially if it's torpedo-shaped like most wrasses.
So a snowflake and a enigmatic eel do good together? Most of my fish get 6"+ except the radiant wrasse and silver belly

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Would the yellow tail tamarin, yellow coris, harlequin tusk leopard wrasse be ok
I think ill do an enigmatic eel or a snowflake or a snake eel and a blue ribbon eel
I mean all of those wrasses except the tusk and possibly a large yellow tail tamarin has a chance of being eaten at some point, and getting a tusk means a lot of your inverts will likely get eaten. The snake eel would be safer with fish than any Gymnothorax, but they also have a high chance of eating crabs and shrimp while large ones can also eat urchins. The point being, after all this repeating myself, that no matter what eel you get you'll likely have to make concessions in your stocking. It really depends on which you'd rather have.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
redid my stocking
Boxfish
foxface
chelmon rostratum
bannerfish trio
Gymnothorax enigmaticus
macropharyngodon meleagris
Cirrhirablus aquamarinus
yellow tail tamarin
leopard toby
regal angelfish
zebra? eel or ribbon eel
bellus angelfish
Harlequin tuskfish
PBT or scopas tang.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from ur build thread you have a 4 foot 75 gallon the ribbon eel will get the same size as the tank incase you didn't
know

didn't read whole thread just seen the redone list now

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder blue tanks are hit and miss most of them die within 6 months i have 1 in a 4 foot tank but i guess i got lucky with mine

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Would the yellow tail tamarin, yellow coris, harlequin tusk leopard wrasse be ok
The only one of those that will be safe is the Tusk, the others will be food. And with your other wrasses, an aquamarinus is just as fair game as a naokoae. The other issue is Tamarins and Leopards don’t do well with stress. In a high activity reef with a tusk and two fairies that risk being aggressive they’ll likely

A scopas will wreck a Copperband (Chelmon marginalis) any day. And I have no doubts a Powder Blue in a 4’ tank will do the same, I have seen their aggression and heard many horror stories.

Be warned, Boxfish can nuke a tank. When they’re small they’re less likely to nuke a tank and only bother certain corals but remember;
Those small 2-4” Boxfish you see can and definitely will get 10-12” at least. This guy needs a 6’ tank at the minimum.

A banner fish trio will outgrow and likely become aggressive in a 4’ tank. Also not all of the species are actually communal. The true Schooling Bannerfish is communal but the other 2-3 species that look almost identical aren’t great in groups and also risk destroying corals.

Both the Bellus and Regal Angels risk nipping eels. Specifically they’re likely to go at your Ribbon Eel (Which in itself will outgrow the tank because they get to 4’ themselves). In fact, none of the eels you want are good candidates as they will either outgrow the tank (Either getting longer or as long as the tank) or they will eat your wanted wrasses.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only one of those that will be safe is the Tusk, the others will be food. And with your other wrasses, an aquamarinus is just as fair game as a naokoae. The other issue is Tamarins and Leopards don’t do well with stress. In a high activity reef with a tusk and two fairies that risk being aggressive they’ll likely

A scopas will wreck a Copperband (Chelmon marginalis) any day. And I have no doubts a Powder Blue in a 4’ tank will do the same, I have seen their aggression and heard many horror stories.

Be warned, Boxfish can nuke a tank. When they’re small they’re less likely to nuke a tank and only bother certain corals but remember;
Those small 2-4” Boxfish you see can and definitely will get 10-12” at least. This guy needs a 6’ tank at the minimum.

A banner fish trio will outgrow and likely become aggressive in a 4’ tank. Also not all of the species are actually communal. The true Schooling Bannerfish is communal but the other 2-3 species that look almost identical aren’t great in groups and also risk destroying corals.

Both the Bellus and Regal Angels risk nipping eels. Specifically they’re likely to go at your Ribbon Eel (Which in itself will outgrow the tank because they get to 4’ themselves). In fact, none of the eels you want are good candidates as they will either outgrow the tank (Either getting longer or as long as the tank) or they will eat your wanted wrasses.
Did i just get extremely lucky with my PBT cause EVERY 1 says they are aggressive mine is aggressive to new comers but i put a mirror up attacks itself for a few hours i take it down goes back to swimming around

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did i just get extremely lucky with my PBT cause EVERY 1 says they are aggressive mine is aggressive to new comers but i put a mirror up attacks itself for a few hours i take it down goes back to swimming around
You got incredibly lucky… I’ve seen some nasty powder blues out there.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank is 6'. its roughly 17 inches wide.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @i cant think , I have basically accepted the fact i cant keep wrasses anymore. A harlequin tusk it is. No scopas. Got it. No ribbon eel. Okay. Are red sea bannerfish true schooling bannerfish? Any fish that would be a good fish to replace all the wrasses?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @i cant think , I have basically accepted the fact i cant keep wrasses anymore. A harlequin tusk it is. No scopas. Got it. No ribbon eel. Okay. Are red sea bannerfish true schooling bannerfish? Any fish that would be a good fish to replace all the wrasses?
I’m assuming that is Heniochus intermidius in which case, no. The true schooling banner is I believe Heniochus diphreutes is the true schooling bannerfish.

Not many fish can easily replace wrasses, I assume you really want an eel? If you don’t want an eel, go for a proper wrasse gang and avoid the tusk.

Also, do you have a photo of your setup?
Ideally a photo like this (an FTS);
532EBDF0-BC62-4C81-B839-A1CDF07EAB84.jpeg

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming that is Heniochus intermidius in which case, no. The true schooling banner is I believe Heniochus diphreutes is the true schooling bannerfish.

Not many fish can easily replace wrasses, I assume you really want an eel? If you don’t want an eel, go for a proper wrasse gang and avoid the tusk.

No I don't. I'm not home rn so yea

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, zebras pose no threat to fish at all.

OP
OP
L0L_Z

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boxfish
foxface
chelmon rostratum
bannerfish trio (Heniochus diphreutes)
macropharyngodon meleagris
Cirrhirablus aquamarinus
Halichoeres Iridis
yellow tail tamarin
leopard toby
pygoplites diacanthus
zebra eel
blue ribbon eel (reportedly never eats fish unless hungry and not fed)
bellus angelfish
PBT

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back