OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a pearlscale and I want it so bad! but the internets say it's nor reef safe.
As far as I know they aren’t this they’re in my FOWLR.
68E66367-548F-4DF5-B041-A42B181CDA61.jpeg
43A169E9-F477-4B11-87AA-774DD6E1DDE7.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a pretty fish. You are right. How many corals would you sacrifice though?

IMG_2547.jpeg IMG_2544.jpeg IMG_2543.jpeg
When it comes to coral sacrificing… you’re talking to someone who has 5-6 RSWC fish, one of which is a CBB.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to coral sacrificing… you’re talking to someone who has 5-6 RSWC fish, one of which is a CBB.

A tang, an angel, a fox, and a butterfly. Who am I missing? The green wrasse? That only counts as an invert eater though right?

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tang, an angel, a fox, and a butterfly. Who am I missing? The green wrasse? That I my counts as an invert eater though right?
I have;
- Ctenochaetus binotatus (many see these as reef safe but actually many tangs play with coral and quite a few even eat it when after the microalgae).
- Chelmon rostratum (This is an obvious one to many but actually I’ve found more reef safe ones than I have non-reef safe ones but I don’t have Zoa’s or fleshy LPS in that tank)
- Pygoplites diacanthus (again, these are pretty much the same as the Rostratum)
- Siganus magnificus (again, many see these as reef safe however there are a few that can be a risk to zoanthids which most of us don’t see as a bad thing)
- Escenius lineatus (This is a genus of blenny many see as reef safe but actually their wild diet can include SPS corals for the micro algae)
- Halichoeres chloropterus (This isn’t a coral muncher but has taken out a couple of my CUC, although my Sally Lightfoot and shrimp don’t seem to be in his diet)
- Halichoeres iridis (Again, this isn’t a coral muncher but is a risk to CUC, in fact my Iridis is worse than my Chloropterus with CUC and he takes out more of them than the chloropterus will).

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do find shrimp and crab easters being classed as not reef safe a little confusing but maybe that's just me? I get the wrasse that literally flip rocks but then engineer and diamond gobies are listed as "reef safe".

Anyway look at these beauties (or one beauty and one creep (The Beauty and the Creep??)):

Attachments

• IMG_5555.jpeg
    IMG_5555.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 28

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be easier. Saying that this one is yet to show interest in food I've added. It is eating off the rocks though and I seem to have fewer aiptasia.
Whenever I have a new butterfly that doesn't want to eat, I rubberband a piece of Nori to a rock. That usually gets them started. You can also buy frozen clams on the half shell from your LFS.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I have a new butterfly that doesn't want to eat, I rubberband a piece of Nori to a rock. That usually gets them started. You can also buy frozen clams on the half shell from your LFS.
I'll try that. Will need to put it somewhere the foxface won't go for it. He eats like 2 sheets a day right now and would eat more if I let it I'm sure. The butterfly is really enjoying something on the rocks though.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try that. Will need to put it somewhere the foxface won't go for it. He eats like 2 sheets a day right now and would eat more if I let it I'm sure. The butterfly is really enjoying something on the rocks though.
Keep in mind that butterflies are constant grazers. If fed only once or twice a day, they tend to decline. Mine get fed 4 or 5 times a day.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out the tape measure and with some rounding:

26" - Banded snake eel - Myrichthys colubrinus
23" - Goldspotted snake eel - Myrichthys ocellatus
10" - Snowflake eel - Echidna Nebulosa
10" - Engineer goby - Pholidichthys leucotaenia
7" - Magnificent foxface - Siganus Magnificus
3" - Melanarus wrasse - Halichoeres melanarus
3" - Falco hawkfish - Cirrhitichthys falco
3" - Maroon Clownfish - Premnas biaculeatus
3" - Pearlscale butterflyfish - Chaetodon xanthurus
2" - Red coris(nebula) wrasse - Coris gaimard

For those who need that's 100" of fish!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that butterflies are constant grazers. If fed only once or twice a day, they tend to decline. Mine get fed 4 or 5 times a day.
I feed several times a day and refill nori at least 3 times but I'm yet to see it go after anything I add. It's eating off the rocks and seems to be eating the sacrificial zoas I added (or at least from that rock). It's from Dr. Reef so it was definitely eating before and it looks really healthy so I'm not that worried yet.

Edit: For extra I added about 2' of live caulerpa so it can eat that too.

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took out the tape measure and with some rounding:

26" - Banded snake eel - Myrichthys colubrinus
23" - Goldspotted snake eel - Myrichthys ocellatus
10" - Snowflake eel - Echidna Nebulosa
7" - Magnificent foxface - Siganus Magnificus
3" - Melanarus wrasse - Halichoeres melanarus
3" - Falco hawkfish - Cirrhitichthys falco
3" - Maroon Clownfish - Premnas biaculeatus
3" - Pearlscale butterflyfish - Chaetodon xanthurus
2" - Red coris(nebula) wrasse - Coris gaimard

For those who need that's 100" of fish!!
that's a long fish list.

edit: thanks for the common names, now I don't have to goggle them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m honest, it’s not how often they’re fed but how much they’re fed in terms of nutrients.
Put it this way, I have 12 fish, many of those are said to need feeding 2-3x a day. I only feed 1x every day however here’s what I do;
First off I feed a heavily varied diet. But I also constantly replenish microfauna on a weekly basis. I also have mother sponges in my sump (yes, I use a sump for filter feeding microfauna and not just equipment) which let of offspring into the DT where my Regal Angel, TSB Tang, Magnificent Foxface, wrasses and Copperband butterfly can all graze off of. I also have smaller algae growing on my wave maker and rocks.
Most of my fish aside from my Regal Angel are now 3 years old. Yes I know this isn’t recommended for everyone however I’m just putting what I’ve experienced out there :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back