Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a long fish list.

edit: thanks for the common names, now I don't have to goggle them.
I would never! Who do you think I am? I cant think? ;)
Divers Den sent me an email last night that they will have a banded snake eel in stock soon.
I saw that. I hope someone responsible goes for it. It is in my limited experience almost reef safe. I'd put it on par with a small halichoeres species. It's mouth is too small to eat anything but the smaller shrimp and I highly doubt will eat fish unless they're tiny and very slow/stupid.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m honest, it’s not how often they’re fed but how much they’re fed in terms of nutrients.
Put it this way, I have 12 fish, many of those are said to need feeding 2-3x a day. I only feed 1x every day however here’s what I do;
First off I feed a heavily varied diet. But I also constantly replenish microfauna on a weekly basis. I also have mother sponges in my sump (yes, I use a sump for filter feeding microfauna and not just equipment) which let of offspring into the DT where my Regal Angel, TSB Tang, Magnificent Foxface, wrasses and Copperband butterfly can all graze off of. I also have smaller algae growing on my wave maker and rocks.
Most of my fish aside from my Regal Angel are now 3 years old. Yes I know this isn’t recommended for everyone however I’m just putting what I’ve experienced out there :)
So should I not worry about it. It is regularly picking at the rocks. I'd say once every 3-5 seconds. Is it getting all the food it needs from the rocks?

Towards the end you'll see the pecking:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I not worry about it. It is regularly picking at the rocks. I'd say once every 3-5 seconds. Is it getting all the food it needs from the rocks?

I personally wouldn’t as long as it’s getting Atleast one nutrient heavy feeding a day and you keep ontop of your microfauna Atleast every 2-3 weeks if you can’t do weekly.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you get a video of feeding time? A new fish like your butterfly may be intimidated by the more aggressive feeders in the tank. Pecking at the rock may not supply enough nourishment. If he was pecking in a full blown reef, then no problem. Your rock doesn't really show too much life as compared to a reef.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a video of feeding time? A new fish like your butterfly may be intimidated by the more aggressive feeders in the tank. Pecking at the rock may not supply enough nourishment. If he was pecking in a full blown reef, then no problem. Your rock doesn't really show too much life as compared to a reef.
Maybe it ate? It's hard to tell. You may want to skip the first half of the video.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! It got at least three. That is a good first step. I like the way that it came back after the foxface gave it grief. Still, feed it several times a day. You see how it pecks at the rocks. That is what most butterflies do in nature. Mine get mysis, brine shrimp, Nori, clams on the half shell, angel and butterfly frozen, Tetra Min flake, emerald entree and large plankton. Yesterday, they got a treat of caulerpa. Mix different kinds of frozen and pellets together and put the mix in a clam shell, then freeze it. Drop the shell in the tank and watch the feeding frenzy. Good luck!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! It got at least three. That is a good first step. I like the way that it came back after the foxface gave it grief. Still, feed it several times a day. You see how it pecks at the rocks. That is what most butterflies do in nature. Mine get mysis, brine shrimp, Nori, clams on the half shell, angel and butterfly frozen, Tetra Min flake, emerald entree and large plankton. Yesterday, they got a treat of caulerpa. Mix different kinds of frozen and pellets together and put the mix in a clam shell, then freeze it. Drop the shell in the tank and watch the feeding frenzy. Good luck!
IME, Clams are hit or miss for butterflies although I can be unlucky. I also find that butterflies aren’t constantly pecking at the rocks. Yes they scour the rock most of the day but a lot of their time is swimming. I will admit my CBB is one of my most aggressive fish so he is an outlier of most of them.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thanks. I already feed mysis, nori, large plankton, algae flakes, marine cuisine, and a mixed pellet that the foxface goes crazy for. Also I was planning a trip to the LFS to get angel/butterfly/herbivore frozen.

Also yeah that's one reason why I've been so confident with it is that it deals with the small aggressions really well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on! The answer is right infront of you ;)

There’s even a misbar one there too!
Sorry but I have enough stress right now and these have only just arrived and aren't eating yet. As usual his prices were unbeatable but I have to wait till I can give it my full attention.

I almost did it though...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but I have enough stress right now and these have only just arrived and aren't eating yet. As usual his prices were unbeatable but I have to wait till I can give it my full attention.

I almost did it though...
that’s a shame but definitely understandable!

Hopefully once they start eating you aren’t under as much stress. They’re worth every penny and the perfect fish once established :)

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've done my weekly filter clean early in preparation for the sump (just waiting for the pic cement to cure). Thought I'd share how much more effective filter floss is to filter sponge in terms of mechanical. I think sponge is useless?
Water goes through the sponge first then the floss:
IMG_5585.jpeg
IMG_5584.jpeg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share my "budget sump" costs because it is still very expensive:
($ - denotes good deal, $$$ - denotes overpriced bs IMO)
  • 44 gallon brute can with lid - 50$
  • Since Syncra Pro 800GPH - 120$$
  • Braided vinyl tubing - 30$$
  • PVC piping and fittings - 20$
  • Critter Container - 10$$ (used to house pump and prevent clogging in refugium)
  • Marine pure ceramic media - 100$$$ (ridiculous)
  • TopFin ceramic media - 10$
  • Ton of filter floss - 10$
  • Shark pro 80 - 80$$
  • Eshopps 1000 - 140$$
  • Plumbing cement - 10$
  • GE Ultra bright LED bulb - 15$
  • Lamp fixture - 5$ (yep, my refugium light cost a total of 20$)
  • Eheim heater 300W - 35$$
Total of $625

Sounds like a lot but then a sump and just the sump of the same size would cost you $800-$2500 so....

Back