Eelysium

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll have to accept your word for it. I’ve only known one Israeli woman and she was better than the JAPS I have known.

Speaking of Israel, are you familiar with a series called Shtisel? It was in a number of years ago and my lady and I really lived it. I recommend it off you can find it.
Haha love that word. I am familiar with it but have not watched it. I strongly suggest Fauda though!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha love that word. I am familiar with it but have not watched it. I strongly suggest Fauda though!
We’ve been watching it and like it!

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well changing topics....

The tank seems to have had a hair algae outbreak while I was gone. So I guess I need to up the urchins and mexican turbos.

@i cant think do you have some suggestions for complimenting corals with the GSP? I'm thinking fast growing softies but they'll have to be able to handle my potentially coral eating fish. So far my only thoughts are some large clove polyps.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well changing topics....

The tank seems to have had a hair algae outbreak while I was gone. So I guess I need to up the urchins and mexican turbos.

@i cant think do you have some suggestions for complimenting corals with the GSP? I'm thinking fast growing softies but they'll have to be able to handle my potentially coral eating fish. So far my only thoughts are some large clove polyps.
Corals that complement GSP…
Most soft corals are ignored by coral eaters, the less fleshy and more skeleton type LPS are also often ignored (things like Duncan’s and Frogspawn/Torches).

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals that complement GSP…
Most soft corals are ignored by coral eaters, the less fleshy and more skeleton type LPS are also often ignored (things like Duncan’s and Frogspawn/Torches).
Thanks. When I say compliment I mean different color but similar growth rate and glow I guess. So I’m thinking blue clove polyps and orange mushrooms maybe

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. When I say compliment I mean different color but similar growth rate and glow I guess. So I’m thinking blue clove polyps and orange mushrooms maybe
Clove polyps are the perfect complement to GSP, same with Xenia.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mission succeeded at great expense. A new frontline of CUC to battle the algae outbreak; 5 Mexicans, 2 short spines, and another tuxedo.
IMG_6063.jpeg

Then some new cycled rock in the hopes the engineers will love these new rocks and build a new home here.
IMG_6064.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like this

1679195706964.png

Those are actually blue sympodium, even though I know better, I still get them mixed up, as do many others. The neat thing about these is that grow close on the rocks and do not grow over corals, but they spread via spores and will spread aggressively all over the tank. Gsp on the other hand will grow right over everything, with gsp it spreads by touching.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp on the other hand will grow right over everything, with gsp it spreads by touching.
Unfortunately I don’t get to experience GSP in that way… every time I’ve tried it it has died and I have never found out why until my recent colony died. I believe my Aquilonastra stars have been munching through GSP and happily eating it, I have had a spike in aquilonastra stars recently.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are actually blue sympodium, even though I know better, I still get them mixed up, as do many others. The neat thing about these is that grow close on the rocks and do not grow over corals, but they spread via spores and will spread aggressively all over the tank. Gsp on the other hand will grow right over everything, with gsp it spreads by touching.
I was meaning the larger blue polyps like “firecrackers”. I accidentally did buy those though. During a rush to get a good “Black Friday” deal at TG I bought a bunch of corals. Most of which I’m happy with. However when I bought “blue clove polyps” I was not at all expecting to get what you have there. I admit I was pretty disappointed. Though I guess they are a cool and unique coral based on what you just said.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t get to experience GSP in that way… every time I’ve tried it it has died and I have never found out why until my recent colony died. I believe my Aquilonastra stars have been munching through GSP and happily eating it, I have had a spike in aquilonastra stars recently.
Can you loan out a harlequin shrimp?
Those asterinas don't look like the coral eating type...
Sorry. At least you can grow SPS unlike me.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king How would you say an eels behavior changes in the long term?

At this moment only the goldspot comes out regularly while the others hide until feeding time which is now just once a week.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king How would you say an eels behavior changes in the long term?

At this moment only the goldspot comes out regularly while the others hide until feeding time which is now just once a week.

The dilemma of "true" predatory" fish in captivity. I say "true" because other predatory fish say like triggers, can be somewhat domesticated. If you remember me mentioning this dilemma in some of my writings in regards to feeding live food. A natural instinctive predator will start to tuck away and just wait to be delivered food as their natural hunting instinct dies. Yes managing feeding can help but the real challenge is to create some kind of enrichment in their environment. I am still trying in regards to eels. Yours may benefit from occasional live feedings, as they could eat ghost shrimp or fiddler crabs, I suggest these as they are less expensive than a saltwater choice of crabs or shrimp, and unless it is an eel species tank, feeding live fish to fang tooth eels is a big risk in a community tank. The goldspotted may be still getting stimulated because some of your fish may be enticing him. Having dither fish in eel tanks sometimes help, as they try and catch and eat them. I'm in the same dilemma with my tessa and am considering a couple of triggers for him to wrestle with; my last fang tooth, a jeweled, was always out and about, because he had a niger as his nemesis, and they were always wrestling. I am also considering some dither fish like mollies or maybe some damsels, but damsels aren't as cheap as they used to be.

Was it you I was talking to about working with wild land animals, we used to hide food and suspend it in trees and such for them to "hunt" for it. We would give some of cats pumpkins to chase around and batter into pieces. Some of our cats would bond with humans so we enriched them with human interaction. The tigers loved to swim and even though not water cats; we had a male lion that also loved to swim. A dirty secret of keeping wild animals in captivity, as they lose their natural instincts, it lessens their lifespan.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back