Efflorescence

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does efflorescence happen with our aquariums? Is this where all the salt creep comes from in 3 foot radius of aquarium? Surely the water cannot be splashing that much right?

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same thought. Only way i figure it is popping bubbles getting trace amounts that build up over time.
I leave the lid off half the time and salt creep is everywhere. All over electronics that are atleast 6 feet away, inside them too and all over my plants around the aquarium. There ain't no way that's just from splashing water.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does efflorescence happen with our aquariums? Is this where all the salt creep comes from in 3 foot radius of aquarium? Surely the water cannot be splashing that much right?
Possibly effervescent vs efflorescence. Small bubbles potentially becoming airborne. That could explain some salt creep. Capillary action of liquid “wicking” could explain others. I have no idea on how it could travel multiple feet unless a fan is in play.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave the lid off half the time and salt creep is everywhere. All over electronics that are atleast 6 feet away, inside them too and all over my plants around the aquarium. There ain't no way that's just from splashing water.
Lol, that kinda sucks. I know how much my electronics love saltwater. 6 feet? You sure you don't have any spitting fish?
fish splashing GIF

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running air stones ?

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly effervescent vs efflorescence. Small bubbles potentially becoming airborne. That could explain some salt creep. Capillary action of liquid “wicking” could explain others. I have no idea on how it could travel multiple feet unless a fan is in play.
My husband needs a fan on high in every room,so makes sense. Thank you for input.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tanks, 180g in living room, 65g dining room, and a 40g in bedroom, and a 125g sump in basement all open top and I don't have any salt creep anywhere except stuff that is touching the tank so I'm not sure what is going on at your place. Maybe way to much surface agitation?

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tanks, 180g in living room, 65g dining room, and a 40g in bedroom, and a 125g sump in basement all open top and I don't have any salt creep anywhere except stuff that is touching the tank so I'm not sure what is going on at your place. Maybe way to much surface agitation?
I had 5 at once all with the same issue. What salt brand do you use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are several main ways that we get solids outside the aquarium.

1. Popping bubbles launch tiny droplets of water into the air. This is a well established phenomenon, and my adult daughter even worked in a lab where they studied it for the natural launching of microplastics in ocean water into the atmosphere. These droplets (small ones) can travel thousands of miles in nature. When those droplets land around the tank, they dry and leave a residue of everything in the seawater.

2. Anywhere that the liquid water touches a "dry" object, like the sides of the tank, some water will creep up the sides and or by pushed onto it by occasional ripples, and some of that water dries and leaves a residue. This can creep out an inch or two, but rarely more.

3. Water spilled down the sides of a tank can get into the plastic bands surrounding aquaria, and slowly dry out to leave a residue on the plastic and nearby glass. It soemtoems fools people into thinking they have a leak.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we know that they don't use niter in the salt though? If they used that as an added mineral it would create saltpeter, no?

Because they say they do not add nitrate. The whole nitrate discussion is a red herring. Nitrate is a very minor component of seawater and potassium nitrate is not even what would precipitate from drying seawater that containing nitrate.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back