• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

eggcrate overflow is cracked. .. looking for a 3d printed overflow

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... i have a large custom tank made 15 years ago.. each side overflow the total width of each side of the tank.. I will post a pic.. the overflow is two squares (rows) of egg crate that sites on top of the side of the tank.. its cracked and time to replace.. thinking I could do some type of 3d printed overflow... maybe do a few of them so i could remove, clean and replace as they get encrusted with Coraline algae ..

Tank 11 9 18.jpg MVC-089S.JPG

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot me a PM and I might be able to help you with the 3D Printing. Unfortunately most 3D printers have a pretty small bed so the largest I personally can print is 8.5". There as soon other printers out there that can go larger then that but you will have to hunt those guys down! Just a couple things to think about as you move forward.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ll reach out to later in week. Ii think I have s plan on two or three pieces linked together. Might work Thanks.

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could also help you if you're still looking for someone :)
My printer is 12x12x16 (lxwxh) and i can get longer pieces if they fit diagonally and if it does't fit in one piece I could do an interlocking dealio that could be glued together later. Out of curiosity, how long is your tank?

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... I am for sure looking for help and will get exact dim's and pics up. the tank is basically 96 long by 31 by 31. the overflow on the side are about 6 inches each.. so viewing area is 86 from the front. Tank is drywalled in.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the video of the new Tidal Gardens?
Their overflows are similar & have been made removable for cleaning.
Essentially a weir on top of a U channel. Perhaps 2 pieces a side?
And a spare set for exchange @ cleaning time?

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their overflows are similar & have been made removable for cleaning.
Essentially a weir on top of a U channel. Perhaps 2 pieces a side?
I don't know how the OP's tank it setup under/behind the overflow, but I did something similar with my dorky little pvc weirs, where I printed a lip inside and outside the pvc, so they just pressure-fit on top and i can take them off if i ever need to. It is super convenient :p
I am also curious in the Tidal Gardens link as well :D It's always interesting to see what 'legit' people are doing (and by 'legit' I mean my tanks are absurdly jerry rigged and I envy you all with your nice setups XD)

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently 3d printed a smaller overflow box out of ABS and used ABS solvent to weld it together. It works great, but on a project this long I think you might be better served by someone CNC cutting out some acrylic to make the removable weir.

Hockey Stick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... i have a large custom tank made 15 years ago.. each side overflow the total width of each side of the tank.. I will post a pic.. the overflow is two squares (rows) of egg crate that sites on top of the side of the tank.. its cracked and time to replace.. thinking I could do some type of 3d printed overflow... maybe do a few of them so i could remove, clean and replace as they get encrusted with Coraline algae ..

I have a pretty large bed 16"x16"+ let me know if you're still looking for someone.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back