OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my HOB filter on tonight. :) Hopefully I can start reducing nitrates/phosphates now that uneaten food and crud will be filtered out...they're a little high for my liking.

The anthias are now taking new life spectrum pellets, which eases my mind a little; I always worry whether my fish are getting the appropriate nutrition. I'll keep feeding the frozens but the pellets are terrific and hopefully they'll help cover any dietary mistakes on my part. :) I am beyond in love with these two.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These black friday/cyber monday live sales are killing me XD I want to participate but I can't.

Oh, well. Everything in its time. I need to save up for a skimmer first.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! That was some read/story all 15 pages....lol

Looks like your on track now to becoming a "Happy Reefer" I'm a big fan of Anthias and Tangs in my Reeftanks have four and five respectively and would not have it any other way. I might suggest getting some Peppermint Shrimp to start Aiptasia control before they reach plague level. Berghia Nudibranch would be best but pricey and not nearly as much fun as you rarely see them. A HOB Skimmer will be a huge benefit for your system in removing nutrients that the Aiptasia thrive on also. Following along and looking forward to its progression.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! That was some read/story all 15 pages....lol

Looks like your on track now to becoming a "Happy Reefer" I'm a big fan of Anthias and Tangs in my Reeftanks have four and five respectively and would not have it any other way. I might suggest getting some Peppermint Shrimp to start Aiptasia control before they reach plague level. Berghia Nudibranch would be best but pricey and not nearly as much fun as you rarely see them. A HOB Skimmer will be a huge benefit for your system in removing nutrients that the Aiptasia thrive on also. Following along and looking forward to its progression.

Cheers, Todd

Too late...the aiptasia are everywhere...T.T and too big for the shrimp.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To bad, well then your only real chance at ridding your system of them is with the Berghia Nudibranchs all they eat and live for.... I know Reef Pest Solutions up here in Seattle are breed and sell through LFS's. With the amount of Aiptasia that's in your tank they will breed quickly and you can recoup all your money and then some selling to local Reefers in need.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To bad, well then your only real chance at ridding your system of them is with the Berghia Nudibranchs all they eat and live for.... I know Reef Pest Solutions up here in Seattle are breed and sell through LFS's. With the amount of Aiptasia that's in your tank they will breed quickly and you can recoup all your money and then some selling to local Reefers in need.

Cheers, Todd

I'm in a bit of a bind there...we had to fix the car and I had to buy fish food, so it looks like I'm out of luck for this month too unless I can get a filefish. My LFS says their supplier is too expensive as far as berghia go.

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many Peppermints do you have Again? And how big are the aptasia? If you can get aptasia x it works great for the big ones and my shrimps once they found them (took then a while) they destroyed it. I wouldn't go with a nudi only because after they eat it all, you have to re home them, which I think is easier said then done. I had it pretty bad you can get through this

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many Peppermints do you have Again? And how big are the aptasia? If you can get aptasia x it works great for the big ones and my shrimps once they found them (took then a while) they destroyed it. I wouldn't go with a nudi only because after they eat it all, you have to re home them, which I think is easier said then done. I had it pretty bad you can get through this

I don't...so far every peppermint I've had has died for unknown reasons...

I haven't measured the aiptasia, lol, but the biggest one has a head about the size of a nickel.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do I acclimate the Peppermints for?

Same as the fish, a couple hours...but they die too late for acclimation shock, I think. It's at least two weeks later. One or two may have been killed by my scarlet cleaner because he used to chase them into hiding, but no clue what happened to the two I got since the scarlet died (I believe he was murdered by the clowns I had at the time - found him in a hiding place missing two legs one morning...)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, depending in a few different things that have to change first, my ex and I may be getting back together. ♡

Aaaaand I was surprised to find that he has put down a deposit on a brand new 125g acrylic tank for me.... o.o

Somebody really wants me back XD

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really funny - the gramma seems to have been "adopted" by the anthias. They're treating her like a school member. Bottom of the pecking order, but still a member. XD

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know...my tank has problems. No overflow, no sump, no skimmer, no refugium. Any macro I've attempted to add to the display has been eaten. I am my own topoff system. Aiptasia everywhere.

The amazing part? I love it anyway. I enjoy it every day. ♡♡♡

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 46 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back