OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear, this reef is gonna kill me before anything else has a chance. Loves to just about give me a heart attack >.<

I got to go to my favorite fish store today (Deep Sea Creations) for a special Christmas present and lo and behold, they were just getting in a new shipment. After looking around a bit, I was peering into the bags of new fish and saw first a chalk basslet. Hey, I'll get that, I thought. Then I spied pink and yellow. Ohhh, my gosh. I asked about it and lo and behold - a Bartlett's anthias. $50. I WANT. Then I find out they got in a trio. Okay, I was informed by the Holder of The Money that we couldn't do three. Okay. A pair, then. I could always find a new home for one if they weren't getting along, right?

So by the time we got to checkout I was shaking. Literally shaking, I was so excited. Got them home, slapped together a second QT (the first having been taken by the gramma) and started acclimating. Then the fun started. I put my hand near them and they freaked. Both vaulted about 2.5 feet straight up in the air out of the bucket (no joke) and landed on the tile. Cue anxiety attack. Not only might they have both been hurt, but suddenly my QT tank isn't an option. My lid is not good enough. It's too late to get a new lid and the car's in bad shape anyway. At the rate they were going, they were going to kill themselves. Wish someone had warned me! Jumpers and Evil-Knieval-style suicide leapers are two completely different things.

So into the DT they went. No choice - praying nothing bad happens. Just after release I suddenly could not find the female. Anxiety turned into near panic and I searched the floor and tank thoroughly at least three times and for about twenty terrifying minutes before she popped out of hiding, unhappy but apparently unhurt.

Holy cow. I should have gotten into a hobby that's easier on my nerves. Like juggling knives, perhaps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, I know I'm up a serious creek if the new guys brought any bugs in. -_-;;; I'm losing my mind worrying about it.

Last edited:

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friendly advice, never buy a fish when they get it in. Let them settle in at the pet store first, they could be sick and die or have ich. Become friends with the fish store and ask them to hold them for you. I learned the hard way and lost fish. Second never impulse buy( learned the hard way again) always do your homework before you buy. Best of luck though

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friendly advice, never buy a fish when they get it in. Let them settle in at the pet store first, they could be sick and die or have ich. Become friends with the fish store and ask them to hold them for you. I learned the hard way and lost fish. Second never impulse buy( learned the hard way again) always do your homework before you buy. Best of luck though

I did research them...but nothing told me they were Olympic athlete pole vaulters XD just jumpers. As far as impulse buys, it really wasn't. It was more of an 'I want it BADLY but I'll have to save up for who-knows-how-long' kind of thing. I suddenly had the chance and there they were, so I jumped on it.

Here's hoping they come out for breakfast this morning...you are right about the wait and see at the store, and normally I would, but in this case I really didn't have the option; I can't get to the store most times and my gifter was not going to 'come back another day.'

It certainly hasn't gone the way I intended so far...hopefully things go okay from here. I'll certainly be praying and watching like a hawk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a better note, the scooter is still visibly putting on weight - really starting to look good. The clowns are in great shape. The gramma in QT seems to be well, and all inverts are safe and sound. Corals are showing zero damage/stress from the move. No minicycle. Other than the aiptasia and this latest worried-sick feeling about the anthias, all is well.

The female did come out of hiding for a short time this morning (and she's the most fearful of the two,) and I caught a glimpse of the male. I think - though I honestly don't know - that they may have taken a little food.

ShippD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no pole vaulters sounds like they need to be entered in the fish Olympics lol...Hope they do well pics are needed of course when possible. :nod:

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no pole vaulters sounds like they need to be entered in the fish Olympics lol...Hope they do well pics are needed of course when possible. :nod:

Soon as I can get close enough without sending them diving for cover, you'll get the photos...or possibly a video, given how fast they are.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's chowing now ♡ I think he's going to be just fine.

I am a bit worried about the female, though. I haven't seen her since early this morning and I definitely have not yet witnessed her eating.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about the happiest little reefer on the planet. ♡ The female anthias has started to come out and eat, and she and the male have discovered each other in the tank (and are hanging out, not fighting.) YAYYYY!

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new gramma in QT. ♡ Nice full belly on her, too - I tried her with a bit of food and she ate up everything she could find XD

Be careful with this little guy. They get pretty aggressive, your scooter blenny is especially at risk because it's so passive, and a bit slow.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice catch. Scooter's gonna feel awfully intimidated :(

I ended up having to release her from QT early because of issues with the tank (need to replace my whole QT setup,) and she seems to be completely ignoring the scooter. Here's hoping it stays that way. Thanks for the warning, though. I'll keep an eye on them.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The promised anthias photos :D They're settling in much faster than I expected.
1385773029417.jpg
1385773046065.jpg

Back