OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and an awfully thin one at that :( Is it eating?

Yeah, he came a little thin, but he's taking mysis shrimp and nutramar ova pretty happily so hopefully he'll bulk up. The last couple of days I was trying not to feed him too much so he would start eating the aiptasia, but you have rather confirmed my suspicions that he's underweight. I'll wait until he's fattened up. This stuff is driving me nuts, though. The aiptasia's starting to ruin the few corals I do have and are totally preventing me from getting more. The nitrates are nixing new corals too, but...

Oh, and I think I figured out the problem with my fish, and it's not a disease. I've been keeping the water too cold. D'oh!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else had a situation in which they needed MORE microalgae? My two poor turbo snails are starving. :( I tried nori but they aren't recognizing it as food.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a solution :) The FO tank (with invert-eaters) is having something of an algae problem, and though I suspect I may have ticked off the puffer by taking his favorite cave, the snails are now feasting on a borrowed decoration. I'll probably dry to out before returning it to the other tank so that I don't introduce the aiptasia.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Eienna sorry for late response to your pm, looks to be a Matted Filefish alright and as stated a bit thin. They definitely like the meaty foods so should plump up quickly if on a Mysis diet. Mine took around two weeks to hone in on the pest anemones then like a Crack Addict when full on to a Aiptasia and Mojano Hunting Machine................. then once eliminated found a taste for my zoa/paly collection one colony at a time. They are a very interesting fish to observe, similar to Wrasses in the way they search the rock work with both eyes always on the lookout for edibles.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Eienna sorry for late response to your pm, looks to be a Matted Filefish alright and as stated a bit thin. They definitely like the meaty foods so should plump up quickly if on a Mysis diet. Mine took around two weeks to hone in on the pest anemones then like a Crack Addict when full on to a Aiptasia and Mojano Hunting Machine................. then once eliminated found a taste for my zoa/paly collection one colony at a time. They are a very interesting fish to observe, similar to Wrasses in the way they search the rock work with both eyes always on the lookout for edibles.

Cheers, Todd

Okey dokey, thanks!
At least he's an easy catch. XD If he gets out of hand once the aiptasia are gone, I'll rehome him to someone who likewise has an issue with the blasted things.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Once he starts focusing on the Aiptasia watch him closely as very entertaining. They obviously get stung or whatever from them but keep at it all the same, like watching someone eat SUPER HOT Chicken Wings..... why they continue to put themselves through the torture I just don't know

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Once he starts focusing on the Aiptasia watch him closely as very entertaining. They obviously get stung or whatever from them but keep at it all the same, like watching someone eat SUPER HOT Chicken Wings..... why they continue to put themselves through the torture I just don't know

Cheers, Todd

...Kind of like someone who gets heartburn but adores pizza nonetheless...lol. Silly fish tried to eat a bristleworm the other day.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel well at all...on the upside, I managed to get the nitrate down to 20 (from ~40, for those who don't care to backread) in the DT, and the under-the-weather fish are showing definite improvement. The clowns are now acting totally normal so they'll be the first to go back in.

I do need a better heater, though. I was just looking at mine and it's only 100w. o_O I thought it was higher. No wonder it's on all the time. Probably going to get a via aqua titanium...they seem to be the safest. :)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't worrying about not being able to find my glasses...but now it's getting difficult to see my tank from across the room. Not cool. *squint*

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS had a nice little green bubbletip for super cheap ($18) so I decided to give it a shot. Shouldn't hurt...I know they like somewhat "dirty" water (that said, however, I'll still be doing twice-weekly water changes until my nitrates are low and stable.) So far, it seems happy. I've noticed something interesting, though. When it's in lower light, it deflates, but once it's under fairly high light again it bubbles back up. Just thought that might be interesting to the scientific minds trying to figure out exactly why these things bubble.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is not mature and stable enough nor do you have the light necessary to keep an anemone.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broke up with the love of my life...now my heart hurts as bad as my back (which is in the worst pain I've felt since I broke my hand.)

As far as the nem, it doesn't appear to be stressed at all. It's all bubbly and open and taking food. I'm watching it closely for any color shift (browning or bleaching) or odd behavior, but it seems to have found its happy place and is staying in one spot after checking out a few.

I AM in a bit of a pickle, though. I can't do my water changes in this kind of pain. I can't even bend over without screaming. >.< Hopefully my housemates will pitch in and help me.

And I REALLY must get a skimmer soon. Praying I can save up enough in the next couple of months. Anyone care to donate a few cents to my skimmer fund? >.<

I guess one bright side to all this is that I don't have to move the tank again...just about killed myself last time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is not mature and stable enough nor do you have the light necessary to keep an anemone.
Perhaps you're right...but I can't return it... :/
The light's certainly bright enough to hurt my eyes. It doesn't reach all the way across the tank so it's in the center, but in said center (where the nem is), it's pretty bright. In that area, at least, I think it's strong enough - and I'll be feeding often, so hopefully that helps. You're probably right about the maturity. I'm not dosing, so I really don't have weird swings (and I added a second heater), but I AM having nitrate/phosphate issues. I'm keeping it in check with frequent water changes until I can buy a skimmer, but perhaps I misjudged exactly how touchy nems might be. I know I misjudged how many pods my first dragonet would go through in a month...I can laugh at it now because, thankfully, I was able to buy bottles of pods...but it sure ain't cheap!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, my nem is not happy, so I'm taking it back to the store tomorrow.

I'm being made aware that I do not listen as well as I should. I'm trying to change that.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, my nem is not happy, so I'm taking it back to the store tomorrow.

I'm being made aware that I do not listen as well as I should. I'm trying to change that.

Eienna, that's the smartest thing you've said in awhile. I really am trying to help you. I think I remember telling you to keep easier animals until your tank matures months and months ago. I think it was something like this, "You're setting yourself up for failure getting advanced animals at this time." Remember? There's something I've read over and over, "Study the animals needs before you get it." Or you can just come on here and ask before you get it. Impulse buying is not good behavior in the saltwater hobby.

Sorry, you've been having such a rough time lately. Hopefully, 2014 will be a better year for you.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eienna, that's the smartest thing you've said in awhile. I really am trying to help you. I think I remember telling you to keep easier animals until your tank matures months and months ago. I think it was something like this, "You're setting yourself up for failure getting advanced animals at this time." Remember? There's something I've read over and over, "Study the animals needs before you get it." Or you can just come on here and ask before you get it. Impulse buying is not good behavior in the saltwater hobby.

Sorry, you've been having such a rough time lately. Hopefully, 2014 will be a better year for you.

Well said :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back