electrical idiot builds a controller - a reef pi build

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be pretty enough to put a clear lid on it.
0F885623-770B-4D80-98E7-D60EF6DBB4A5.jpeg

But it looks decent with the lid on.
8634E1B6-985E-45BC-BE16-EB01B7CFDD15.jpeg
D7DFF14C-12BA-43D7-9384-BB71D5A8F929.jpeg

I am off to Mexico for work. I turned goblins on to monitor the tank and room temperature, and make sure the goblins are happy and won’t have a strike. I’ll set them to work controlling things when I get home. AND I cleaned the homework table (work bench) so the wifey will let me come home!

Thank you @Michael Lane for an incredible pi hat!!

Thank you @Ranjib for creating the masterpiece behind it all!!!

Thank you @Bigtrout for all the support, help, words of encouragement, and crazy idea to plant my tank!!!
It looks very neatly laid out inside. I'd be proud to have that on display!

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B9348D22-1AAE-430E-BC37-EEFAF8876162.jpeg

Goblins went on strike today. The temperature in my salt tank is plummeting. Reef-pi did it’s job letting me know. I’m in Mexico though and don’t get home until Friday. I turned up my home heater (WiFi enabled as well) to limit the fall.

This tank doesn’t have corals or fish in it at this time. I just have hermit crabs, snails, and live rock. So all should be ok.

I think I’ll order a heater now in case it failed. But it may be possible that a cat unplugged something like the serial cable to the adj power strip. I’ll see on Friday and make sure to find a way to prevent this in the future. Cats!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B9348D22-1AAE-430E-BC37-EEFAF8876162.jpeg

Goblins went on strike today. The temperature in my salt tank is plummeting. Reef-pi did it’s job letting me know. I’m in Mexico though and don’t get home until Friday. I turned up my home heater (WiFi enabled as well) to limit the fall.

This tank doesn’t have corals or fish in it at this time. I just have hermit crabs, snails, and live rock. So all should be ok.

I think I’ll order a heater now in case it failed. But it may be possible that a cat unplugged something like the serial cable to the adj power strip. I’ll see on Friday and make sure to find a way to prevent this in the future. Cats!
Hope it was just the cats, and hope the cat didn't eat any goblins. Hope your tank is ok!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinds did you order...go for some easy to grow first. Swords, vals and crypts are fairly easy...once you get some established then try some others. Stem plants are fun but sometimes grow so dang fast if they like your tank that its a constant trim and replant battle...
Plants can be strange, sometimes a variety just wont do well, where a similar looking plant will take off and grow like weeds. So be willing to experiment to find the plants that like your conditions.
Once the plants get established algae wont be a problem. Between the plants and my bristlenose pleco family, you would be hard pressed to find algae in my tank.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • 465CA38F-F60E-4F3A-8523-ADF298F9C26E.jpeg
Definately an experiment. I have no idea what these things are. But at least it’s cheap and I don’t feel bad if I kill plants.
Looks like a good start...the hairgrass likes a ton of light so plant it so its not shaded at all...the rest look like good selections.
Dont think a plant is dead either...sometimes when you buy them they drop leaves because of a change in conditions...especially crypts...the plants that grow from a root corm will come back...

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bigtrout , do you have any idea what kind of plant I have in the tank now? I’ve had it for at least a year. It has some algae growing on the leaves.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to see what it was when u first posted your pic...id need a closeup to be able to tell...but it looks almost like Java fern...which is a slow but steady grower and will survive in low light. If thats what it is...you dont even have to plant it...just tie it to driftwood with fishing line or cotton string, it will root to it, in fact ot grows better that way and can make for some neat looking tankscape.

Last edited:

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, thats java fern...has it perked up with the new light...its not a fast grower...if you have driftwood tie a few pieces on.

It has brownish hairlike looking "roots" which are rhizomes. Thats what you tie onto your driftwood with some aquarium safe string(monofilament or cotton)

Your variety looks like one of the fancier ones with the forking leaf tips.

https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/java-fern/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks.

It perked up after I put the light on originally. Right now I think it’s mad that I broke it into smaller groups and moved it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back