OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this seems like a cleaner way to wire it. Thanks!
Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.00.06 PM.png

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this seems like a cleaner way to wire it. Thanks!
Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.00.06 PM.png
Thats how I did mine, and the boards are supposed to be good to 1000hz, I have found that the lower the frequency the more range you get and the dimmer you can make the light at the low end, but if the frequency is too low you can sense the blinking, I found a good compromise at 150 to 200hz.

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG it’s working!!!!!

I’m controlling light intensity!!!!!

If you try to do what I’m doing don’t forget to reboot reef-pi after enabling pcm or changing its frequency. I nearly pulled my hair out for 20 minutes until deep in my memory I remember reading that Ranjib said to reboot. Then it stated working!!!!!!!!!

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smarter than his mom for sure. Lol
Start a build thread, everyone on this board will help if he gets stuck on his build or needs some guidance. Thats part of why reef-pi is such a great controller, the whole community is a great resource.
A great place to start is to decide what all he wants to control in his tank and go from there. You can do a build just like the adafruit tutorial, or you cam take a shortcut and start with a reef pi hat from @theatrus, @Michael Lane or @wykat. They are all great hats,depending on what you want to control

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Start a build thread, everyone on this board will help if he gets stuck on his build or needs some guidance. Thats part of why reef-pi is such a great controller, the whole community is a great resource.
A great place to start is to decide what all he wants to control in his tank and go from there. You can do a build just like the adafruit tutorial, or you cam take a shortcut and start with a reef pi hat from @theatrus, @Michael Lane or @wykat. They are all great hats,depending on what you want to control
Thank you!

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Katrina71 has a build thread. 736 pages long. 5 pages just in 24 hours. It's like r2r royalty just visited my little shack.

Katrina, if you are serious about having your son build a controller I would suggest the baseboard from @theatrus . It is very close to plug and play and even has a custom made housing you can get. In the first 5 pages here I built a reef-pi based on his board. The last 3 have been building a reef-pi based on @Michael Lane board. It is very capable, but you do have more decisions to make for connectors and housing. Of course it does depend on what you want to control. Michael Lane's board has more support for lighting and dc pumps for instance.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll have to narrow everything down after we get the new build done. I am reading and learning. Just promise not to laugh too hard when I ask stupid questions.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180902_150948324.jpg
@Mikeneedsahobby and @Ranjib would you guys mind helping me with building a controller? Actually my 11 year old. He's a tech guy. I am confident he can do it.
Absolutely, he is the perfect target audience for reef-pi, tag us along whenever you need help. It will be nice to know what all he wants to build etc.

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be pretty enough to put a clear lid on it.
0F885623-770B-4D80-98E7-D60EF6DBB4A5.jpeg

But it looks decent with the lid on.
8634E1B6-985E-45BC-BE16-EB01B7CFDD15.jpeg
D7DFF14C-12BA-43D7-9384-BB71D5A8F929.jpeg

I am off to Mexico for work. I turned goblins on to monitor the tank and room temperature, and make sure the goblins are happy and won’t have a strike. I’ll set them to work controlling things when I get home. AND I cleaned the homework table (work bench) so the wifey will let me come home!

Thank you @Michael Lane for an incredible pi hat!!

Thank you @Ranjib for creating the masterpiece behind it all!!!

Thank you @Bigtrout for all the support, help, words of encouragement, and crazy idea to plant my tank!!!

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back