Elegance coral question

Brad Shook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why my elegance is not putting it's arms out?
20170605_070724.jpg
This is what it used to look like.
20170505_192424.jpg

Marlon2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's a done. Do you notice the rotting skin on it? Mine lasted 2 months then this happened and it died

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance corals used to be a staple back in the day, and would live a long time. The problem with them nowadays is that most, and by most I would feel safe betting 90+% of them come in with a bacterial infection. Almost always meaning certain death.
IMO, and I exported corals for a living from the source, Elegance are better suited to staying in the ocean and not our tanks.
They aren't handled well usually at the source/ in transit and succumb to the aforementioned bacterial infections.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man, but your chances are slim. I'm not sure there's much you could--or, for that matter, should--do. Best of luck anyhow!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't hurt to try, but in reality, the damage is done.
You would need to QT the coral and use the antibacterial of your choice.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it's kind of luck of the draw with the Elegance. If it's Indonesian you are basically doomed. The Australian have a better chance at making it probably due to the handling at the source. Also try feeding it if you haven't already. Mine went through swings at first when I was feeding once a week. Now I feed multiple times a week and have no issues.

Mindi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Cairns one for about 4 years and it does sometimes withdraw the tentacles while otherwise open in that way, but mostly not. Mine does it with too much water flow.
IMG_20170607_111428.jpg

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your local store order you an aquacultured Elegance. I bought mine for $45 6 months ago and its been awesome ever since.

ciscomania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks to be a goner for sure. Whenever I see those spagetti worm lookalike tissue coming off on any my corals, none of them made it, dipping didn't do squat at that point.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1250.JPG
Could be feeding or expelling waste
I have 5 in my tank that all look like that from time to time
They are open and happy in a few days
These 4 sulked for quit a few days after fragging one large overgrown one we had for a couple of years

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in my tank one is indo with pink tips and it's been doing well for almost 2 years. and 2 Aussie purple tips one for 1.5 years and another came froma firends tank where he had it for around 3 years and it grew huge. Once past the intial intro and first few months their bullet proof.
I love them.

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting one, so I thought this would be a good place to ask, what is the recommended tank size for one of these guys to thrive?

CPL376

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really not sure how to answer your question. Many years ago I had an elegance in a 180 that would have never fit in the 75 that I currently have. However the one that I have now would easily fit into a 20 I would caution you a little about placement because they will sometimes puff themselves up kinda like over inflate

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in a biocube with an AI Prime Hd. The skeleton is about 2 inches. It inflates to about 5 inches. Luckily I'm about to upgrade to a 90.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them grow huge in 2-3 years if doing well, then again it's an easy coral to move in tank or to another tank...
they are known to do a buit better in nutrient rich water so a larger tank with more fish might be preferred.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brad, sorry to see you over here under such conditions. Is this the original place you started this elegance? Maybe an anti bac dip and placed in lower light may help. Light always seems to amplift problems when present. as stated above, the Australian variety tend to do better in our tanks. My opinion is that the corals pulled from Indonesia are living in deeper waters compared to Austaralian corals. I had a buddy order about 40 colonies from a trans shipper in Indo and he lost most of them to bleaching. I hope it bounces back for you man!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back