Elegance Coral separating from base this morning

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this elegance for about 4-5 months and it has been one of my most reliably healthy and happy corals and I went out of town for one day and come home to find a big chunk of it separating from the skeleton. None of the critters / fish in my tank have ever touched it in my observations. Any idea why this is happening? It still looks like it's going for full extension today in spite of this very significant looking damage.

post2.jpg

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really strange. Maybe related to an inhabitant?

Clean IM tank BTW! Would love to see some updates from your build!

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll double check in a bit but these were my test results 2 days ago:

Temp: 79
pH: 8.1-8.35
kH: 8.0
NO3: 3.3
PO4: 0.04
Salinity: 35
Ca: 440
Mg: 1290

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral looks like nothing is wrong an hour later as the lights have come on and it's fully extended. I wonder why it would be separating yet still appear happy??

I retested a few params this morning:

kH: 8.4 (this tends to drift up and down based on the state of my windows in the summer and I test every 3-4 days and adjust dosing)

PO4: 0.08 (I also have to dose phosphates to keep them above zero and this drifts along with pH, KH, etc)

NO3: 7.0 (I do dose these ad hoc as this drifts down to zero more slowly and 3.3 was the lowest I've seen in awhile and my corals tend to start to look a bit sad when it drifts below 5)

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if it was the low NO³, ive seen where they have completly bailed before and continued to survive off the skeleton but a lot of care had to be taken with them. They were put into acclimation boxes where the flow wasn't able to get to them a whole lot. I guess all you can do is keep observing and hopefully it doesn't progress any further.

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow does hit it from that side, maybe I'l try adjusting that a bit and rotating it. It's not a ton of flow though, looks like a gentle breeze.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back