Elegance getting too big?

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E831519B-4117-46E5-B5D6-72874C282EFE.jpeg

When I bought my elegance it only had one mouth - it’s now got three. It looks great and happy but I don’t want it to potentially sting my Duncan’s or Fox. Should I consider moving it on or if it was going to sting would it be doing such already?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank!!! I'd wait until the neighboring corals tell you there's a problem and you need to move it. Not all corals impact neighbors in the same way. You may never need to move it or you may only have to move the duncan.

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until you have 1 that opens to 18" or more when its in a good mood lol

This big aussie elegance is normally a bit more than a foot open. It stretches to over 18" when the lights start to go down
20201122_171724.jpg

Then I have these 2 Indo elegances that are still little guys lol
20200910_124539.jpg

20201110_134718.jpg

But each are a bit different from each other and once I upgrade tanks I plan to find others that don't look like we already have also.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Never too big. Mine is the size of a soccer ball. Theres always a nice spot for it in the tank

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s certainly nice and, in truth, I’m loathe to move the main corals as they clearly like it where they are
If they're not stinging anything let them go. Even when mine sting something, I move whatever they're stinging not them. But a heads up, rhodactis mushrooms will sting them and recently had to move one of the Indos because I have a rock of green rhodactis that was stinging it and making it recede. Moved it and it's coming back fine.

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're not stinging anything let them go. Even when mine sting something, I move whatever they're stinging not them. But a heads up, rhodactis mushrooms will sting them and recently had to move one of the Indos because I have a rock of green rhodactis that was stinging it and making it recede. Moved it and it's coming back fine.
I’ll look out for that too - my rhodactis do add a look of vibrancy - will just need to ensure they don’t take the place over

OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look out for that too - my rhodactis do add a look of vibrancy - will just need to ensure they don’t take the place over
Back to your point about the Rhodactis - as you can see I’ve had a Flower Anemone turn up in the middle and seems very happy. Do they not sting everything?

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everything. Just like rhodactis sting some discosoma mushrooms and not others. They also get along with yumas when they want to just as yumas get along with eclectus and discosomas as they feel. Each is different. I actually had a discosoma sting a really unique rhodactis I've been growing to the point it made it split in half and move away from it. It's not a guarantee but some things will sting everything. Some will get along with everything. Just like fish or inverts that are labeled reef safe but some go rogue. I was moreover stating my experience than anything.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I bought my elegance it only had one mouth - it’s now got three. It looks great and happy but I don’t want it to potentially sting my Duncan’s or Fox. Should I consider moving it on or if it was going to sting would it be doing such already?
When i got mine it was only a couple of inches in size. Now she is huge but has plenty of space on the sand bed.
20210104_222049.jpg

zaq11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

very nice colors , move it to another area where it will not sting other coral

Back