Elegance 'Stringy' Tentacles

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the tentacles on my Elegance have become stringy and thin in the last day.

There are only 2 things that happened yesterday that might be the root cause.

1) I fed Spectrum with a touch of Selcon, and the smallest dash of Focus and MetroPlex mixed in. A couple pellets were eaten by the coral.

2) I restored the light settings on my Photons to a mix that was 75% of the maximum output of the Reef Breeders 12K program which is much higher than I was using until now. Since this morning after seeing the reaction, I reduced the lighting pattern back to nearly where it was before.

Just wondering if either (or both) of these things might have caused this condition, and if there's anything else I can do.

20220802_194345.jpg

Last edited:

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
sudden changes in lighting and feeding could make corals shift in appearance or even coloration. you noted that you added metroplex, selcon, and focus to pellets and the elegance ate some of it. was this accidental? i believe metroplex, and maybe even focus is meant for fish so this could be your culprit.

OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sudden changes in lighting and feeding could make corals shift in appearance or even coloration. you noted that you added metroplex, selcon, and focus to pellets and the elegance ate some of it. was this accidental? i believe metroplex, and maybe even focus is meant for fish so this could be your culprit.
Yeah, it did catch a couple pellets and I didn't think anything of it at the time. Assuming that's the problem, is there anything to be done? Perhaps feeding with some mysis to 'dilute' it? Or just wait it out?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah, it did catch a couple pellets and I didn't think anything of it at the time. Assuming that's the problem, is there anything to be done? Perhaps feeding with some mysis to 'dilute' it? Or just wait it out?
wait it out. keep water parameters stable and you should be good to go.

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You be surprised that Elegance is very smart.

A true story of mine: I fed my Elegance active carbon pellet, not knowing that it is a carbon as it was too dark in the room, assuming it's an anemone pellet.

It ingested it then after an hour or so, it ejected it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back