OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like your fish options though I’m guessing this is a dream list not the one for your current system?

I don’t want to choose for you which ones would work so why don’t you pick a few of the fish you are serious about from your list compared to the ones on your current list and we can talk which ones will work for the set list.

Purple Tang you could house for a few months or a year but it would be the only Zebrazoma tang in this tank and maybe even the only Tang in the tank.

Blue Tang gets too boisterous big and active but can be kept in your display for a few months until it starts reaching that 3 or 4 inch mark. Also the only tang in the tank

Achillies is a no go unfortunately for this tank at any interval but could work well in your Dream Tank.

None of the 3 Tangs should be kept in your sized system for 2+ years just as a disclaimer.
So as long as I upgrade in two years I can make the blue tang, white tail, and yellow tang work? Would the yellow and purple not work if they are introduced at the exact same time? I really love tangs! I would attempt to get them all at the smallest size available.

Otherwise I really love the copperband, puffer, dottyback, and wrasses.

My original list is what I’m sticking with other than this last fish. I do plan on upgrading in about two years though.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably get away with a small zebrasoma and bristletooth tang for two years.
Copperband may work but I’d wait as it’s past your ability level right now.
You’d have to get one of the little puffers like we discussed if you are set on one.
Dottybacks are awful. Get a basslet instead.

Wrasses are of course the best fish!

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably get away with a small zebrasoma and bristletooth tang for two years.
Copperband may work but I’d wait as it’s past your ability level right now.
You’d have to get one of the little puffers like we discussed if you are set on one.
Dottybacks are awful. Get a basslet instead.

Wrasses are of course the best fish!
I don’t recall discussing the puffers…

So definitely wouldn’t be able to get away with the blue tang? Argh hard decisions…

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as long as I upgrade in two years I can make the blue tang, white tail, and yellow tang work?
Not what I meant. I mean that these fish should only (and this is pushing it) be in that sized tank for a a few months to a year and impossible for them to be in a higher time frame than that. Hope that makes sense.
Would the yellow and purple not work if they are introduced at the exact same time? I really love tangs! I would attempt to get them all at the smallest size available.

Otherwise I really love the copperband, puffer, dottyback, and wrasses.

My original list is what I’m sticking with other than this last fish. I do plan on upgrading in about two years though.
Still wouldn’t work in your sized tank this method is really great but in a larger tank. Only 2 tangs would really be the maximum.

CBB I’ve already mentioned about my thoughts on it before

Puffer...well…it really depends on how much you want coral. If you really want coral and piece of mind no puffer. If you wan to risk it it would have to be a small puffer like a Toby or Blue Spot. Any other puffer is too big active and produces lots and lots of waste really difficult for stability in nitrates and phosphates for coral.

Dottybacks are really pretty but are super super aggressive, had a buddy who kept one in a predator tank with big triggers, angels, eels, and would be the boss, and it was only a few inches long, thats how aggressive and potent they are. So it can be problematic but it can be done. Personally I would go with what @Slocke mentioned and go for a basslet.

Wrasse are super super super nice my whole tank is dedicated towards but I would tread lightly as you have an eel. Thats the only issue not saying get rid of the eel but if you want to go crazy with wrasse than the eel is a big risk.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what I meant. I mean that these fish should only (and this is pushing it) be in that sized tank for a a few months to a year and impossible for them to be in a higher time frame than that. Hope that makes sense.

Still wouldn’t work in your sized tank this method is really great but in a larger tank. Only 2 tangs would really be the maximum.

CBB I’ve already mentioned about my thoughts on it before

Puffer...well…it really depends on how much you want coral. If you really want coral and piece of mind no puffer. If you wan to risk it it would have to be a small puffer like a Toby or Blue Spot. Any other puffer is too big active and produces lots and lots of waste really difficult for stability in nitrates and phosphates for coral.

Dottybacks are really pretty but are super super aggressive, had a buddy who kept one in a predator tank with big triggers, angels, eels, and would be the boss, and it was only a few inches long, thats how aggressive and potent they are. So it can be problematic but it can be done. Personally I would go with what @Slocke mentioned and go for a basslet.

Wrasse are super super super nice my whole tank is dedicated towards but I would tread lightly as you have an eel. Thats the only issue not saying get rid of the eel but if you want to go crazy with wrasse than the eel is a big risk.
Thanks!!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention the Betta. Really nice fish but very secretive. Adds nice character to the tank especially at feeding time but when it’s seen. Nice addition but very peaceful and docile fish, can have trouble competing for food with the other fish occasionally.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention the Betta. Really nice fish but very secretive. Adds nice character to the tank especially at feeding time but when it’s seen. Nice addition but very peaceful and docile fish, can have trouble competing for food with the other fish occasionally.
Appreciate it :)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I added some hiding spots / caves and slightly modified the aquascape. Feels a bit full now though, or is it just my OCD driving me insane… Thoughts?
I think it look better then previous. Lots of ins and outs for fish but doesn't look like a rock mountain.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some have mentioned, you might be able to keep a small bristletooth in that size tank but other tangs you mentioned are going to struggle from the onset. They need a 6 foot tank to thrive over time. Some people manage short time periods with small tangs as they upgrade their tank but I see no reason to do this to the fish. Just wait till you get your forever tank. That's what I'm doing now.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some have mentioned, you might be able to keep a small bristletooth in that size tank but other tangs you mentioned are going to struggle from the onset. They need a 6 foot tank to thrive over time. Some people manage short time periods with small tangs as they upgrade their tank but I see no reason to do this to the fish. Just wait till you get your forever tank. That's what I'm doing now.
This^

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding in @vetteguy53081 as I was given different instructions by him tonight when asking for advice and I think he’s probably the most experienced with tangs. This whole tang this has me going crazy

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding in @vetteguy53081 as I was given different instructions by him tonight when asking for advice and I think he’s probably the most experienced with tangs. This whole tang this has me going crazy
Yes he is very experienced and I value his opinions. I can only relate my own personal tang experience with basically the same tank that you have. It did not end well.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ended up happening?
The fish never acclimated. It was swimming around at high speed for several weeks obviously stressed but I thought it was just nervous due to the new environment. The fish vendor said my tank was fine for a white tail bristletooth. But after 2 weeks it just never calmed down and then passed away. Then I discovered they swim 150 feet of reef as their territory in the ocean and I had him in a 3 foot tank.....a sad learning experience for me.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish never acclimated. It was swimming around at high speed for several weeks obviously stressed but I thought it was just nervous due to the new environment. The fish vendor said my tank was fine for a white tail bristletooth. But after 2 weeks it just never calmed down and then passed away. Then I discovered they swim 150 feet of reef as their territory in the ocean and I had him in a 3 foot tank.....a sad learning experience for me.
That’s so interesting as that’s a tang that’s listed for 75 gallons and under.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back