EliMelly’s 350 G2 Build

sczlars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That live rock should be awesome! When I started my 15g back in 2011, I got cycled live rock from the LFS, and it was really fun as it came with all sorts of small creatures. Also, there was really no cycle to speak of.

The tang discussion; I'll be in the minority but I say it is possible, but go really slow. My own progression was a Yellow, then added a 3" pacific blue (aka hippo) that a friend gave me as his tank was crashing. The fish were small, and this was a 20g tank at the time. Shortly thereafter, I moved it all into a 40 breeder (mixed lps/sps/zoa/nems). The local LFS had a very thin, ich'ed out sailfin that I took home and put in my small cycled spare tank with rocks full of bryopsis. It ate all the bryopsis, kicked the ich, and went into the 40 with the other fish. 10 years later, the three are still together in my 93g. This was all done over time, and my tanks have always had algae for the fish to graze on, which I think is a key point to keeping them happy, at least for the zebrasoma and any grazing fish. The blue doesn't graze, but is still the fattest of them all, lol. I've had ups and downs with the water quality, high nitrates and phosphates (I like fish but couldn't do water changes enough). This is currently solved with a sulfur denitrator and GFO, after first knocking the phosphates down with Lanthanum. Water quality is now the best it has ever been in this current tank. I realize this isn't recommended tang-practice, but wanted to add my personal experience. Interestingly, though I've lost other fish, I haven't yet had a tang die on my (touch water..). 2 weeks ago, with some trepidation, I added a 4th fish, which is so far doing very well.

To reiterate, don't be in a hurry to have a lot of fish; spread it out over months and years. Also, for a lot of these fish, sterile new tanks are no good. Pop a new fish into an aquarium with live rock with biofilm, detreitus, algae and it may just settle in within a few days.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That live rock should be awesome! When I started my 15g back in 2011, I got cycled live rock from the LFS, and it was really fun as it came with all sorts of small creatures. Also, there was really no cycle to speak of.

The tang discussion; I'll be in the minority but I say it is possible, but go really slow. My own progression was a Yellow, then added a 3" pacific blue (aka hippo) that a friend gave me as his tank was crashing. The fish were small, and this was a 20g tank at the time. Shortly thereafter, I moved it all into a 40 breeder (mixed lps/sps/zoa/nems). The local LFS had a very thin, ich'ed out sailfin that I took home and put in my small cycled spare tank with rocks full of bryopsis. It ate all the bryopsis, kicked the ich, and went into the 40 with the other fish. 10 years later, the three are still together in my 93g. This was all done over time, and my tanks have always had algae for the fish to graze on, which I think is a key point to keeping them happy, at least for the zebrasoma and any grazing fish. The blue doesn't graze, but is still the fattest of them all, lol. I've had ups and downs with the water quality, high nitrates and phosphates (I like fish but couldn't do water changes enough). This is currently solved with a sulfur denitrator and GFO, after first knocking the phosphates down with Lanthanum. Water quality is now the best it has ever been in this current tank. I realize this isn't recommended tang-practice, but wanted to add my personal experience. Interestingly, though I've lost other fish, I haven't yet had a tang die on my (touch water..). 2 weeks ago, with some trepidation, I added a 4th fish, which is so far doing very well.

To reiterate, don't be in a hurry to have a lot of fish; spread it out over months and years. Also, for a lot of these fish, sterile new tanks are no good. Pop a new fish into an aquarium with live rock with biofilm, detreitus, algae and it may just settle in within a few days.
Awesome thanks for the feedback! Nice to hear the experience from another person who was successful with it. The game plan is to add the tangs last and I will be adding in two fish every two weeks until the tangs so it’ll probably take about two and a half months until the gem is added.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone had any input in regard to which controller I should use that can control all of my equipment as well as a good cable management game plan. I have two MP40s, AI lights, Red Sea pump, Red Sea skimmer, Red Sea Reefmat. Will be ordering a UV and doser in the future. All advice is highly appreciated!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone had any input in regard to which controller I should use that can control all of my equipment as well as a good cable management game plan. I have two MP40s, AI lights, Red Sea pump, Red Sea skimmer, Red Sea Reefmat. Will be ordering a UV and doser in the future. All advice is highly appreciated!
Neptune Apex all the way! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

P.S. And you thought Bimacs were expensive………..

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although not sure the Neptune is compatible with all of your things.
I have Red Sea auto top off, Red Sea dc skimmer, new Red Sea pump, Red Sea Reefmat, vortech mp 40s, and ai primes and an ai Hydra. How would it all connect to the same system and organization for cables? Can Neptune control it all? Would I also need a control board? And perhaps more than one for each company?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Red Sea auto top off, Red Sea dc skimmer, new Red Sea pump, Red Sea Reefmat, vortech mp 40s, and ai primes and an ai Hydra. How would it all connect to the same system and organization for cables? Can Neptune control it all? Would I also need a control board? And perhaps more than one for each company?
Neptune has it all I’m just not sure if it’s compatible with all your things I know it’ll work with your MP’s and pumps idk about the skimmer and ReefMat.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t updated the thread in a bit, but here’s where I’m currently at. Added water to the tank currently at 1.025 salinity, as well as Fiji pink live sand. Have the pvc pipes under the sand for the banded snake eel and have been ghost feeding for about 2 weeks now. Added the fritz turbo start about a week ago and have two clowns coming on Tuesday!

Currently still waiting on Red Sea to ship the pump, skimmer, and auto top off so I’ll just have to leave the heater in the display tank until I can set up my sump.

I also just got my 15 gallon IM nano tank that I plan on utilizing as a hospital tank.

Any ideas on whether or not I can keep a purple and red fire fish? Or will it have to be one or the other?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also really starting to get an itch to set up the jellyfish tank again as it’s such a long cycle. Most people agree that frozen shrimp is the way to go to avoid chemicals. Anyone have any idea if turbo start would suffice?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t updated the thread in a bit, but here’s where I’m currently at. Added water to the tank currently at 1.025 salinity, as well as Fiji pink live sand. Have the pvc pipes under the sand for the banded snake eel and have been ghost feeding for about 2 weeks now. Added the fritz turbo start about a week ago and have two clowns coming on Tuesday!

Currently still waiting on Red Sea to ship the pump, skimmer, and auto top off so I’ll just have to leave the heater in the display tank until I can set up my sump.

I also just got my 15 gallon IM nano tank that I plan on utilizing as a hospital tank.

Any ideas on whether or not I can keep a purple and red fire fish? Or will it have to be one or the other?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
That’s a pretty deep sand bed! Fire fish is a hit and miss IME if you mix them. May not work or it may work.

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pretty deep sand bed! Fire fish is a hit and miss IME if you mix them. May not work or it may work.
Thanks! It was supposed to be 2” in the front and 3” in the back but the power head had other ideas. I’ll have to move some of the sand from the front to the middle I think. I guess only red Firefish for me.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back