Eliminating Blue Clove Polyps with Fenbendazole

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll take coralline problems over those polyps any day!! Good luck!
These photos represent: before dosing, day 3 of dosing and today, day 7. So I took a wire brush to some of it and it completely flakes right off. But I then took a small diameter 1/4” syphon to the rock and it doesn’t suck up what’s in photo 3. Are we to believe that something that flakes off relatively easy is still alive? I’m not necessarily in a hurry to clean off all my rock and begin water changing, but should I dose again?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These photos represent: before dosing, day 3 of dosing and today, day 7. So I took a wire brush to some of it and it completely flakes right off. But I then took a small diameter 1/4” syphon to the rock and it doesn’t suck up what’s in photo 3. Are we to believe that something that flakes off relatively easy is still alive? I’m not necessarily in a hurry to clean off all my rock and begin water changing, but should I dose again?
66092C54-2081-45A1-BACD-BBEF26667165.jpeg

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t dose again, if it’s been seven days I would wait until 10 days. Whenever they’ve come back they always come back in the same place for me anyway, it’s almost like they’re inside the rock. If your Corals looks stressed then I would do a water change otherwise wait 10 days. Those pictures look good, it’s working for sure, definitely don’t need to put any more in there. You’re on the right track.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t dose again, if it’s been seven days I would wait until 10 days. Whenever they’ve come back they always come back in the same place for me anyway, it’s almost like they’re inside the rock. If your Corals looks stressed then I would do a water change otherwise wait 10 days. Those pictures look good, it’s working for sure, definitely don’t need to put any more in there. You’re on the right track.
So just to clarify, wait till day 10 or Wednesday to 1. See if polyps start coming back or 2. Dose again?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not dose again.
Will do! My total dosage was 2 grams on day one and 2 more grams on day two. Who knows maybe the perfect recipe? Have you heard of more than 4 grams being dosed in a 180 gallon tank to cure this?

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do! My total dosage was 2 grams on day one and 2 more grams on day two. Who knows maybe the perfect recipe? Have you heard of more than 4 grams being dosed in a 180 gallon tank to cure this?
I’m sure people have? I just started out really slow, using very little and worked my way up. Like I was saying the first time I didn’t use enough and they came back. I think every tank is different but my advice would be to start off very slow and let it take its time, if you don’t see them dying within eight hours add more Pancur or Bendazole. I’ve got 125 gallon with a 40 gallon sump and that’s about what I used. Almost 2 bags, 250 mg each. Post back in a few days and let me know how it’s going ! The struggle is real!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure people have? I just started out really slow, using very little and worked my way up. Like I was saying the first time I didn’t use enough and they came back. I think every tank is different but my advice would be to start off very slow and let it take its time, if you don’t see them dying within eight hours add more Pancur or Bendazole. I’ve got 125 gallon with a 40 gallon sump and that’s about what I used. Almost 2 bags, 250 mg each. Post back in a few days and let me know how it’s going ! The struggle is real!
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

fridmani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Has anyone had long term negative affects to leathers? I did a treatment and it took a couple months before I could some leathers safely. Most say that shrooms and zoos aren't affected, but ever since I did the treatment, I haven't been able to keep a live for an extended period time. And btw, those buggers keep coming back. I end up taking out the rock and let it sit in the sun to kill them off.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has just passed the 3 week mark after dosing 4 grams of Fenbendazole to my 180g. The BCPs appear to be gone. I’m doing water changes and introducing carbon, now twice in three days. Looking forward to introducing a snail or small leather coral. Keeping you updated.
48937282-B4C7-4A72-989C-761EA03B0393.jpeg

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s starting to come back in my tank. My God. It seems to be coming back on the same rocks though?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s starting to come back in my tank. My God. It seems to be coming back on the same rocks though?
That is so unbelievable! I can’t imagine them surviving what I saw them go through on my end. So sorry.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has just passed the 3 week mark after dosing 4 grams of Fenbendazole to my 180g. The BCPs appear to be gone. I’m doing water changes and introducing carbon, now twice in three days. Looking forward to introducing a snail or small leather coral. Keeping you updated.
48937282-B4C7-4A72-989C-761EA03B0393.jpeg
That is so unbelievable! I can’t imagine them surviving what I saw them go through on my end. So sorry.
Me either on my end? Hopefully it’s just a small batch that survived I don’t know? I’ll keep you posted

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a fenbendazole dip be effective against blue cloves growing on a frag plug?

I have a GMK zoa frag with some cloves on it and full tank treatment is not an option.

If so, how long should I dip it for?

Thanks reefers

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a fenbendazole dip be effective against blue cloves growing on a frag plug?

I have a GMK zoa frag with some cloves on it and full tank treatment is not an option.

If so, how long should I dip it for?

Thanks reefers
So I recently dosed my 180g DT with Fenbendazole. I did this on Super bowl Sunday, 2 months ago or so. It appears to have wiped them out completely. Yay!!! I have a colony of Eagle Eye zoas, approximately 30 or so. It wasn’t an option to remove that large rock they’re on. After the fenben, they looked terrible. I was hoping they’d recover. Just within the past 2-3 weeks are the getting their color back. My suggestion to you would be. Refrag your zoas onto a new plug. And get the BCP far from your system. Good luck.

fridmani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
These things are driving me crazy. I tried one dose of the fenbendazole last year. It melted them for a little while, but I couldn't put in any softies, shrooms, invertebrates, and zoos for almost 3-4 months. These guys still came. I have been hesitant to add more since I'm worried about the long term affects. I've been trying to manually tackle them by 1) completely removing rocks (without corals) with them on it and baking and drying them out in the sun, 2) removing corals from rocks that have them; 3) scrubbing the cloves off the corals outside the tank. Just when I think I got them, they show up somewhere else that didn't have them before. From what I can tell they spread with tendrels, but do also spread spores some how. If so, the Fenben may be only way to eradicate them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back