Elos Diamond 120 (90g) Build

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be all acro's right? Not messing around with those glorified zoo things?

I feel like it could use some more height in the middle or right side, but it might look different in the tank.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been playing with some rocks lately.

Think this is the scape I'll go with:
IMG_8080.jpg

Trying my best to not be too crowded. Will probably shift things a little bit closer to the front but want to have a nice amount of space between the rock and the glass.

Couple of different angles for reference.

IMG_8085.jpg

IMG_8082.jpg
IMG_8083.jpg
IMG_8084.jpg

Got a little messy with the reef cement but figured I'd rather have too much than not enough.

Here's to hoping that's the case!
Nicely done!

OP
OP
Spanky05

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be all acro's right? Not messing around with those glorified zoo things?

I feel like it could use some more height in the middle or right side, but it might look different in the tank.

All acros? You're just talking crazy now. I'm not good enough at this stuff to handle the fancy stuff.

I know what you mean about the middle and right. I wanted it to be asymmetrical and have more height on one side.

Adding height to the middle quite possibly will happen though.

I'm going to move all of this rock into the tank and add some from my tank that is up and running to seed it.

The original thought was I'd end up with only this rock remaining in the tank but I may change my mind and end up leaving a few pieces of live rock in the tank.

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’d your scape end up mate?
FWIW I like to imagine what I want the scape to look like with corals grown in and place the rocks to suit. I’ll also say a pile of rocks looks great once corals have covered it so u can’t go wrong with whatever you do!

OP
OP
Spanky05

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’d your scape end up mate?
FWIW I like to imagine what I want the scape to look like with corals grown in and place the rocks to suit. I’ll also say a pile of rocks looks great once corals have covered it so u can’t go wrong with whatever you do!

Haven't changed up the scape (yet). When I start my tank, it will have the rockwork as pictured above + I will be adding my tampa bay LR from my biocube to seed everything. I will gradually remove most of the tampa LR as I don't want the tank to be too crowded but I'll leave a few pieces where I feel like they could be beneficial.

This build is going so slow for me because I'm such a rookie/overthinker with plumbing. I've changed my mind about 15 times throughout this build.
The amount of various threaded, barbed and push fittings I have in my house is utterly ridiculous. The good news is later this week I should be able to get the plumbing done and maybe get the tank wet. My wife works nights but her schedule is random. I try not to work on the tank too much when she is off because I don't want her days off to be filled with her handling the kids 24/7. Therefore I tend to only work on the tank on nights where she is working.

I did put up some under-cabinet lighting and thought I took a picture to post.....but I didn't! Will have to get that taken later so I can post.. It looks pretty cool!

Lighting company should be getting my fixture/canopy done in the next week or so. I'm definitely ready to see it. Hoping it looks nice and clean!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't changed up the scape (yet). When I start my tank, it will have the rockwork as pictured above + I will be adding my tampa bay LR from my biocube to seed everything. I will gradually remove most of the tampa LR as I don't want the tank to be too crowded but I'll leave a few pieces where I feel like they could be beneficial.

This build is going so slow for me because I'm such a rookie/overthinker with plumbing. I've changed my mind about 15 times throughout this build.
The amount of various threaded, barbed and push fittings I have in my house is utterly ridiculous. The good news is later this week I should be able to get the plumbing done and maybe get the tank wet. My wife works nights but her schedule is random. I try not to work on the tank too much when she is off because I don't want her days off to be filled with her handling the kids 24/7. Therefore I tend to only work on the tank on nights where she is working.

I did put up some under-cabinet lighting and thought I took a picture to post.....but I didn't! Will have to get that taken later so I can post.. It looks pretty cool!

Lighting company should be getting my fixture/canopy done in the next week or so. I'm definitely ready to see it. Hoping it looks nice and clean!

Wow they’re actually building that for you? That’s amazing. Is the cost going to be less than a conventional hybrid would run you?

OP
OP
Spanky05

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow they’re actually building that for you? That’s amazing. Is the cost going to be less than a conventional hybrid would run you?
The “cost discussion “ went like this...

“Please be kind on price, remember that you love me. “

“Haha of course we will be kind, we love you!”

Guess we will get to see some quantifiable love parameters.

I think this is the part where I cross my fingers and call them to,see what’s the plan and cost moving forward. Not wanting anything too flashy but they did have fun ideas.

If they have options wrote up to present to me, maybe we can have a poll to figure out what is best.
1. 4 39w LEDs
2. Parabolic reflectors
.3. ability to decreases wires and mount my 2 hydra 26’s. Interesting to see how they can provide power to the hydras 24/7 and hand the t5’s on a timer.

Oh and also hoping it looks quite kNice to boot. I have a high confidence in who I’m working with. Have seen their finished products and they’re quite high end.

Should,be fun one way or,the other.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “cost discussion “ went like this...

“Please be kind on price, remember that you love me. “

“Haha of course we will be kind, we love you!”

Guess we will get to see some quantifiable love parameters.

I think this is the part where I cross my fingers and call them to,see what’s the plan and cost moving forward. Not wanting anything too flashy but they did have fun ideas.

If they have options wrote up to present to me, maybe we can have a poll to figure out what is best.
1. 4 39w LEDs
2. Parabolic reflectors
.3. ability to decreases wires and mount my 2 hydra 26’s. Interesting to see how they can provide power to the hydras 24/7 and hand the t5’s on a timer.

Oh and also hoping it looks quite kNice to boot. I have a high confidence in who I’m working with. Have seen their finished products and they’re quite high end.

Should,be fun one way or,the other.

In assume you meant 4 39 watt tubes? Will they include any fan cooling option?

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like a good plan. Haha im the same with my plumbing, to the point I still haven't finished mine! And im an actual plumber... maybe that's my problem :D
Very keen to see what the Lighting company comes up with for ya, great idea to get them to design a fixture incorporating what you want.

OP
OP
Spanky05

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In assume you meant 4 39 watt tubes? Will they include any fan cooling option?

Yeah 39 watt t5's....whoops!

Asked about cooling fan options. If it isn't something they offer, I may ask if I could buy a fan and have them leave a spot for it to be installed.

OP
OP
Spanky05

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. Haha im the same with my plumbing, to the point I still haven't finished mine! And im an actual plumber... maybe that's my problem :D
Very keen to see what the Lighting company comes up with for ya, great idea to get them to design a fixture incorporating what you want.

Ah man you are quite fortunate to be a plumber in this hobby. I'm not a handy guy so I usually have to do something 4 times to finally get it right.

I'm excited too! Hoping I don't forget something important...

OP
OP
Spanky05

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress!

Finally bit the bullet and made a decision on plumbing just to finally get moving. Used some unions for easy removal of the gate valve and to help for future modifications.

IMG_8284.jpg

Pretty stinking simple but that's all I need right now.

So now I just need to finish making water and tidying up the wiring and I'll fill er up!

Sad how I've been messing with this for a while and still don't have all the water made :oops:

After I get some water running through the plumbing and *hopefully* don't have any leaks, I'll
1. Get my sand rinsed and in the tank
2. Get my rock scape in there
3. Toss in a few pieces of rock and siporax from my biocube that don't have any corals on them to help start the process of getting this tank fish/coral ready.

Hopefully things will start to move along at a steady pace!

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress!

Finally bit the bullet and made a decision on plumbing just to finally get moving. Used some unions for easy removal of the gate valve and to help for future modifications.

IMG_8284.jpg

Pretty stinking simple but that's all I need right now.

So now I just need to finish making water and tidying up the wiring and I'll fill er up!

Sad how I've been messing with this for a while and still don't have all the water made :oops:

After I get some water running through the plumbing and *hopefully* don't have any leaks, I'll
1. Get my sand rinsed and in the tank
2. Get my rock scape in there
3. Toss in a few pieces of rock and siporax from my biocube that don't have any corals on them to help start the process of getting this tank fish/coral ready.

Hopefully things will start to move along at a steady pace!
Looks nice mate, I think simple is the best way in this hobby!
Plan sounds good, hopefully that siporax and rock from the biocube give the tank a good head start.

OP
OP
Spanky05

Spanky05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress!

So, the tank finally got wet!
IMG_8285.jpg

While that process got started, I blasted off the bags of sand I had.
Kinda crazy how murky these things start at:
IMG_8311.jpg

Spent about 20 minutes on each bag. Water hose spraying into the bucket, stirring with one hand and dumping out excess water with the other.
After rinsing with the garden hose, I placed the sand in a container with RO/DI, stirred it up and then rinsed again with RO/DI...

and ended up with this!
IMG_8315 - Copy.jpg

That is directly after placing the sand in the tank. No return pump running and just the MP40's set low on the glass to keep things stirred up.

Was geared up to get the return pump started andddddd I ran out of water :oops:
IMG_8316.jpg

It was also 12:00 midnight so I decided against making more water at that time.

So the next day when I got off work, I had some freshly made salt water and was able to fill her up and and add some rock.

IMG_8325.jpg

What a great feeling to see rock, water and sand in the tank.

Here's a quick video to give a better idea of the scape

So I'll enjoy the nice aquascape for a day and then today or tomorrow I'll be adding some LR from my biocube to start the seeding process.
It'll clutter up the display for a few months but I feel like the benefits will outweigh the negatives.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back