Elos tank showed up today... but its not all good news.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well... I received some good news today. Elos is sending me a new Tank and they are going to replace any damaged panels on the stand. So thanks to Scott and Aquarium Specialty and Nicola (Elos) for taking care of this.

I hope FedEx is a bit easier on the replacement shipment.

:);););):):):)
Woot! That's awesome news!

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I received some good news today. Elos is sending me a new Tank and they are going to replace any damaged panels on the stand. So thanks to Scott and Aquarium Specialty and Nicola (Elos) for taking care of this.

I hope FedEx is a bit easier on the replacement shipment.

:);););):):):)

Ohh that's awesome can't wait to see the build

Viper99ACR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news. What happens to the old tank? Does FedEx have to ship it back to Elos?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome news... Glad to hear they are taking care of it, I would be very worried about setting up that tank too.

Just curious as I have a 160 too, what filtration setup did you get from LifeReef? What are you planning to do with the Elos Sump?

OP
OP
sayitfast

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news. What happens to the old tank? Does FedEx have to ship it back to Elos?

I'm not sure what will happen with the existing tank... I would guess it will get picked up but where they will send it I have no idea yet.

OP
OP
sayitfast

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome news... Glad to hear they are taking care of it, I would be very worried about setting up that tank too.

Just curious as I have a 160 too, what filtration setup did you get from LifeReef? What are you planning to do with the Elos Sump?

I'm going to sell the Elos sump... I had a custom sump made by LifeReef, basically it's their CLF2 Compact custom sized to fit the Elos stand. I added three media reactors also. I will be using a Pax Bellum from Unigue Corals as a Reefugium.

The new Elos DC pump seems super nice... I will put that to use in the sump.

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear. Did they send instructions for putting the cabinet together? Mine had none , had to figure it out myself. Following if you are doing a thread.

OP
OP
sayitfast

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear. Did they send instructions for putting the cabinet together? Mine had none , had to figure it out myself. Following if you are doing a thread.

They did and they included a link to a youtube video.... I have to say however, neither is very clear. I asked another person who has one and he explained it so it made sense for me.

Steelersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear that things are working out for you. I have to say that Nicola (Nick) from Elos Italy is a fantastic person to deal with. It was a pleasure dealing with him on my Elos 160XL. Their Diamond Line tanks are very nice. You will be very happy with your new tank, once you get it up and running. Best of luck!!!

OP
OP
sayitfast

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually this has gone from bad to worse.... Elos Europe (Nicola Gandini) stopped responding to all emails and phone calls. Here is the story so far.

Tanks was originally damaged by FedEx, I have paperwork from FedEx stating this fact. This was through no fault of my own.

The tank was NOT properly crated. It was not set level, it was placed on two pieces of cardboard and directly on the crate. The cardboard overlapped and the middle of the tank sat higher than the ends. Glass as we know is not real bendy. The crate fell apart and onto the tank. The stand was scratched badly. The tank has hairline cracks in the bottom glass panels. There are two layers of glass along the bottom... I did do a water test and it leaks. Overflow was damaged and the overflow section itself leaks.

1.) Nicola stated new tank was being shipped via cargo ship (8 weeks) and I would receive a new tank once it arrived.
2.) New tank supposedly arrived but was broken by customs. I have no way to confirm this.
3. ) Many emails back and forth... many promises made all of them broken. I have every email exchanged to date.
4.) Was told he was trying to work it out with something out with FedEx but it nothing ever happened.
5. ) Elos Europe will not reply to myself or Scott regarding this matter at all ... all emails go unanswered.
6.) Elos USA has stated they will be sending me a new tank. Elos USA does respond to emails and is supposed to have a new tank to me by end of this month.
7.) I never receive any updates... I have to proactively find out what is going on.
8.) One year later from order date, I have a broken tank that leaks.... and a company that will not stand behind its product.

I don't have the time or energy to go into all the details but I think most people would be shocked by them.

Lots of frustration. So much frustration I bought this domain. http://elos-aquariums.com/ .

I'm a software engineer who specializes in social media among other things. I have every email with all parties. I'm going to release a detailed account if the tank is not at my house in the next couple of weeks as promised by Elos USA. I will follow through with finishing the site with all emails, pics etc. I will hit every social media site I'm aware of... and it will continue until this is resolved.

Through all of this Scott from Aquarium Specialty has been great. I have no issues with Aquarium Specialty. Elos I have lots of issue with. I have never seen a company behave this way. How does a company deliver a super expensive broken product and then not even respond. What's more worrisome are the responses I originally received, many promises that appear to possibly be blatant lies!

Forgive me if I rambled around in this message... but I'm ANGRY!

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Normally insurance is purchased on the bill of lading. Usually if there's damage and its been documented you are protected against any damage. Guess I won't be buying a tank from ELOS. There's a reason why Reef Savvy is head and shoulders above the rest!!!! So annoying when they avoid you like the plague. My next 309 gallon rimless will be from Felix for sure.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about the issue you're having. At this point it's almost been a year? I would have contacted my credit card company ages ago.

OP
OP
sayitfast

sayitfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the issue you're having. At this point it's almost been a year? I would have contacted my credit card company ages ago.

Stupid me used PayPal to buy it.... they were offering some special deal. I did file a complaint which I won... but I had 7 days to ship back which was impossible. Aquarium Specialty offered to take it back and refund money. I would still have to ship it to them which is super pricey as I would need to hire someone to come to my house and create and ship. I would then need to get rembursed from Elos. Cheap to take it and have it fixed locally, which I may have to end up doing. The stand would be a loss as there is no way to fix that.

Wow! Normally insurance is purchased on the bill of lading. Usually if there's damage and its been documented you are protected against any damage. Guess I won't be buying a tank from ELOS. There's a reason why Reef Savvy is head and shoulders above the rest!!!! So annoying when they avoid you like the plague. My next 309 gallon rimless will be from Felix for sure.

Elos only purchased $750 of insurance... makes no sense to me. I originally contacted Reef Savvy but I did not want to wait 6 to 8 months. Ha ... joke on me I guess.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'd think with this headache Aquarium Specialty would be working with you to make the situation right. If everything you've said is true, especially in relation to how Elos isn't responding to you or the retailer, why does Aquarium Specialty continue to sell their products? I mean this really seems like supporting a company who has made it clear they aren't going to make the situation right despite whatever promises/assurances they gave you.

Telling you they'll refund minus shipping costs is laughable.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back