Emaciated Naso Tang

Spork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Naso tang along with several other tangs, for over a year now. They all eat like pigs and are nice and fat until the month or so where I have noticed the naso tang losing weight. He is very skinny now and I am concerned. I have been feeding slightly less, but still about 6 grams of rods herbivore blend a day and nori sheets every couple days. There is also plenty of algae in the tank...lol...but he never picks at that from what I can see. The Naso tang still eats well and acts normal...

Anything I can do for this big guy? I do not want to see him waste away. Is this a parasite that only he has possibly?

PXL_20220714_210438410.jpg
PXL_20220714_210416669.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Naso tang along with several other tangs, for over a year now. They all eat like pigs and are nice and fat until the month or so where I have noticed the naso tang losing weight. He is very skinny now and I am concerned. I have been feeding slightly less, but still about 6 grams of rods herbivore blend a day and nori sheets every couple days. There is also plenty of algae in the tank...lol...but he never picks at that from what I can see. The Naso tang still eats well and acts normal...

Anything I can do for this big guy? I do not want to see him waste away. Is this a parasite that only he has possibly?

PXL_20220714_210438410.jpg
PXL_20220714_210416669.jpg
It could be an internal parasite, an easy-ish way to see this is through the poo, if it’s white and stringy it’s an internal parasite (This is harder to see if fed mysis).

OP
OP
Spork

Spork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be an internal parasite, an easy-ish way to see this is through the poo, if it’s white and stringy it’s an internal parasite (This is harder to see if fed mysis).
Okay, thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye on him and his poo and see if it is white and stringy.

OP
OP
Spork

Spork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye on him and his poo and see if it is white and stringy.
He is now worse, not coming out for feedings and hiding in the rockwork. I was not able to observe him pooping. Not sure what to do :(

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is now worse, not coming out for feedings and hiding in the rockwork. I was not able to observe him pooping. Not sure what to do :(
Do you know if he’s alive or not in the rocks?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it has stopped feeding, there isn't a whole lot you can do for it, sorry.

It possibly could be internal parasites, but really, after this length of time in your tank, that is unlikely. Roasted Nori isn't very nutritious, and a lot of Naso are plankton pickers anyway. I prefer to feed them pellets, mysids, gel diet etc. I also don't feed a set amount of food, I let the fish tell me when they are done eating. Think if it this way - lets say you are feeding the fish 99% of its caloric needs each day. It will look good for some time, but it is losing ground and will eventually waste away.

Jay

OP
OP
Spork

Spork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if he’s alive or not in the rocks?
He is alive, I was able to poke him enough that he wiggled out, but seems week and would not eat. He then went back into the crevice he was in.

OP
OP
Spork

Spork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it has stopped feeding, there isn't a whole lot you can do for it, sorry.

It possibly could be internal parasites, but really, after this length of time in your tank, that is unlikely. Roasted Nori isn't very nutritious, and a lot of Naso are plankton pickers anyway. I prefer to feed them pellets, mysids, gel diet etc. I also don't feed a set amount of food, I let the fish tell me when they are done eating. Think if it this way - lets say you are feeding the fish 99% of its caloric needs each day. It will look good for some time, but it is losing ground and will eventually waste away.

Jay
Yes, I feared that it might be over now :( poor guy.

He was an inch bigger than the foxface and blue tang I have, but I am just surprised that he is not nice and fat like them. Are you saying that he probably just needed a little more food and maybe different food?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I feared that it might be over now :( poor guy.

He was an inch bigger than the foxface and blue tang I have, but I am just surprised that he is not nice and fat like them. Are you saying that he probably just needed a little more food and maybe different food?

Possibly, even if it had internal parasites (worms). Remember - the parasite doesn't want to kill their host because then they die as well. Fish in the wild can coexist with internal parasites by just eating more food to compensate.

Jay

OP
OP
Spork

Spork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, even if it had internal parasites (worms). Remember - the parasite doesn't want to kill their host because then they die as well. Fish in the wild can coexist with internal parasites by just eating more food to compensate.

Jay
Okay, yes that makes sense. Just trying to figure out how to prevent this from happening again or to any of my other fish. There is a decent amount of GHA in my tank too, but I guess he would rather starve than eat that?

oceancowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see one behaving like this, I highly recommend putting in a QT system and hit it with Prazi. That deals with most of the potential parasites.

punchy7080

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always watch the bellies on my tangs... they should be a nice U shape. If you see any pinching at all, they aren't getting enough food. That looks like a good size Naso and based on what you stated, sounds like he wasn't getting enough food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back