Ember blenny in a 10g IM nuvo?

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you all think I could keep an ember blenny in a 10G IM Nuvo? I have an in sump/AIO chamber refugium and I plan on it being the only fish in the tank besides some inverts, I have heard they can get up to 5 inches and that seems like a big number, just wondering on your opinions, can’t seem to find any info on their tank size.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any unique recommendations of gobies or blennies? want something unique
Escenius lineatus, the most interesting Blenny I have ever kept (I have owned a total of 6 over 13 years and this is my favourite of them all). I have owned:
- Both of the common salarias blennies in captivity,
- Escenius Midas and Escenius Bicolor,
- Escenius lineatus,
- Blenniella chrysospilos.
In terms of colour Blenniella chrysospilos was very different, but slowly behind it was Salarias ramosus with a nice starry pattern and she changed depending on behaviour. In terms of personality it has been Escenius lineatus, it’s like the halfway point between Escenius midas and Escenius bicolor.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas and even bi color aren't good for a tank that size.

Consider skipping the blenny all together. If you're looking for a fish that perches or dosles things that "regular" (fish with swim bladders) consider gobies. A clown goby for instance if you want something that perches. A shrimp + goby pair if you want awesome and interesting behavior.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas and even bi color aren't good for a tank that size.

Consider skipping the blenny all together. If you're looking for a fish that perches or dosles things that "regular" (fish with swim bladders) consider gobies. A clown goby for instance if you want something that perches. A shrimp + goby pair if you want awesome and interesting behavior.
Actually, the shrimp + goby pair is the most boring thing I’ve seen - I find that Clown gobies have much more personality or just the goby alone has more. In all honesty, when you get a goby + shrimp pair they tend to just have the goby visible at all times and the shrimp is almost never visible and it’s just a snap.

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want an ember blenny get small one and move it if it gets unhappy. Live a little. Just dont feed it a bunch, it will nwver get to 5 inches if you dont feed it alot and have it in a 10g.

You wont find more personality than a tailspot blenny, it would be happy full grown in a 10g. If tailspot blennies were rare it would be one of the most sought after fish in the hobby.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want an ember blenny get small one and move it if it gets unhappy. Live a little. Just dont feed it a bunch, it will nwver get to 5 inches if you dont feed it alot and have it in a 10g.

You wont find more personality than a tailspot blenny, it would be happy full grown in a 10g. If tailspot blennies were rare it would be one of the most sought after fish in the hobby.
Also, be warned ember blennies aren’t always reef safe (As with every fish, even a clownfish can go rogue so why keep fish if you don’t want one eating your coral?) however, I haven’t kept one so I can’t really say anything on it, I have only kept similar species such as dot dash blennies, bicolors ect..

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you all think I could keep an ember blenny in a 10G IM Nuvo? I have an in sump/AIO chamber refugium and I plan on it being the only fish in the tank besides some inverts, I have heard they can get up to 5 inches and that seems like a big number, just wondering on your opinions, can’t seem to find any info on their tank size.

They get pretty large and the colors are actually pretty dull. The pics you see are of displaying males. They don’t actually often look that way.

Personally I like pictus blennies.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have goby shrimp combo and they are fun to watch when you see them. Which is not that often.
I really like my flame prawn goby but I also only see him once and a while. Great looking fish when you see them.

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, be warned ember blennies aren’t always reef safe (As with every fish, even a clownfish can go rogue so why keep fish if you don’t want one eating your coral?) however, I haven’t kept one so I can’t really say anything on it, I have only kept similar species such as dot dash blennies, bicolors ect..
Where are tou getting this info that ember blennies arent always reef safe? I cant find anything that says anything like that. But you also did say clownfish arent always reef safe so the whole comment is suspect

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are tou getting this info that ember blennies arent always reef safe? I cant find anything that says anything like that. But you also did say clownfish arent always reef safe so the whole comment is suspect
No fish can be reef safe, it’s just luck of the draw. However, I have witnessed several ember Blennies at my LFS nip coral. Bicolor blennies are also a not so reef safe Blenny compared to how often people mention them.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions, will probably go with a tail spot blenny or a linear blenny, and probably a clown goby and keep it a that. Thanks all! Blennies really are characters, my bi color survived an anemone and a Powerhead nuke, tough little guy.

Back