Emerald Crab killed Wrasse?!

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the wrasse? Did it go through a QT process and was it inspected for diseases? How healthy are the other fish in your tank?

It's pretty common for people to blame emerald crabs for killing fish because they see the crab eating the carcass. While it's not impossible for an emerald crab to catch and kill a fish, it's not the most likely explanation. Emerald crabs are relatively slow, about an inch wide at most and have flat claws designed for picking algae off rocks. They're not bobbit worms or mantis shrimp. While emeralds can catch and kill a fish, they're not predatory and they're not designed to do so from an evolutionary standpoint. It would be pretty difficult for an emerald crab to ambush and kill a healthy fish that's many times its size, even if the crab was hungry. Now if the fish was sick or suffering from some internal parasite that was not immediately apparent, then the emerald might have a better shot. But, I think these guys get a much worse reputation than they deserve.

If you did not see the emerald ambush and kill the wrasse, I would not blame the death on the crab.

Cue Law and Order theme music.

Case closed. Bahahah

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I JUST caught my emerald crab eating my ruby longfin wrasse! The wrasse literally was swimming around and eating food just minutes ago. I walk up to see what this disturbance is going on and I see him with the fish, running around the bottom, eating the heck out of my fish.

This is the first that I’ve ever seen or heard of. I managed to catch him with my hands because he refused to let go of the fish. He’s now sulking in my sump. I can’t believe this. Just days ago he was pulling polyps off my new pc rainbow frag, should have known. Homicidal maniac isn’t happy with bubble algae nor mysis shrimp, he wants $$$$ fish and corals polyps.

What a jerk! Hope he enjoys life’s in the dark sump. Probably will mutate into some Hills have eyes, propper nutter, down there.

I have had green emerald crabs eat fish also. They will grab them when they're sleeping or close to the floor. I caught him with the fish by the tail trying to get away. I chased it around the tank and it WOULD NOT let go of the poor fish.

If that were me, the sump is a resort compared to my punishment. I'd take him out back and step on him and let the birds have seafood. Strong shelled crabs are very unpredictable.

Last edited:

Haberdasher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, they're aggressive. This is why I'll never have one in any of my tanks. Sorry for your loss.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back