OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mention lots of the results in the abstract look at the wording.

"Results indicated"

"Although, M. sculptus first chose"

This is referencing the results I will find a copy of the study that is open sourced so you can read the results. Fyi I know what an abstract is what exactly would they be proposing by that statement? Its a snippet of the result v abstract.
Stop reading what you want to hear and read what is written

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was eating coral at night picking at it never touched my bubble algae things started going downhill when I added him I thought at first it was my parameters
Again, what kind of coral?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article starts with abstract.
Here's the definition:

Abstract is from a Latin word meaning "pulled away, detached," and the basic idea is of something detached from physical, or concrete, reality. It is frequently used of ideas, meaning that they don't have a clear applicability to real life, and of art, meaning that it doesn't pictorially represent reality. It is also used as a noun, especially in the phrase "in the abstract" (a joke has a person laying down a new sidewalk saying "I like little boys in the abstract, but not in the concrete"), and as a verb (accented on the second syllable), meaning "to remove."
These results seem to indicate that M. sculptus might not be such an efficient bio-controller of the pest V. ventricosa as previously thought, particularly when pellets are used as food; however, its bio-control efficiency might be improved if, mysids are used as food

Re word results

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These results seem to indicate that M. sculptus might not be such an efficient bio-controller of the pest V. ventricosa as previously thought, particularly when pellets are used as food; however, its bio-control efficiency might be improved if, mysids are used as food

Re word results
It starts off with Abstract. Nuff said

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lps then. I have Acros. I'm not worried.
Never saw him near my montis my torch for some reason again as I think he had a thing for the tentacles most I’ve read leave things alone majority of the times your good I guess? Just get one there easy as hell to get out anyway if you gotta

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never saw him near my montis my torch for some reason again as I think he had a thing for the tentacles most I’ve read leave things alone majority of the times your good I guess? Just get one there easy as hell to get out anyway if you gotta
I can see them being a problem with certain tanks. And that's where one should be reserved.
Do the research for your tank and make the decision.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your opinion means nothing to me. Back it up with facts. People that have Emeralds like them. I like them.
The abstract and results of a peer reviewed study I did not write is not my opinion. And the thread is literally asking for people thoughts ie opinions so I gave my opinion on them eating coral. I don't quite understand the hostility but I apologize for whatever I did to anger you and Ill stop posting in your thread.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The abstract and results of a peer reviewed study I did not write is not my opinion. And the thread is literally asking for people thoughts ie opinions so I gave my opinion on them eating coral. I don't quite understand the hostility but I apologize for whatever I did to anger you and Ill stop posting in your thread.
Go argue someplace else. I'm not entertaining this.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Efficiency fusing emerald crabs Mithraculus sculptus to control bubble alga Ventricaria ventricosa (syn. Valonia ventricosa) in aquaria habitats​

CONCLUSIONS Mithraculus sculptus actively feed on Ventricaria ventricosa. In case of infestation with bubble alga, if we use mysids as aquaria food, M. sculptus may render efficient bubble alga bio-controllers; the use of pellets is not advised. Mithraculus sculptus of both sexes might be considered equally efficient as controllers. Since larger crabs can consume greater quantities of bubble algae and are able to exploit a wider size-range of V. ventricosa (Lee & Seed, 1992), they may be considered more efficient bio-controllers. While less efficient, smaller crabs may be effective in controlling algae in areas difficult to access, such as crevices. When emerald crabs rupture the Ventricaria ventricosa bubble, the cell-liquid that contains juvenile cytoplasmatic spheres (Olsen & West, 1988) is released into the water and may contribute to algal dispersal. However, by taking into account that: (1) bubble algae juveniles may be removed and eliminated by tank filtration; (2) fish are fed few times a day while crabs are continuous foragers; and (3) the greatest amount of food is consumed by fish while still in the water column (in this way inaccessible to crabs), we suggest the bio-control efficiency of M. sculptus could be improved by increasing density of crabs, along Fig. 3. Relationship between crabs’ maximum claw gape (mm) and carapace width (CW) (mm) (N ¼ 30). Table 2. Water content and energy content (average + standard error, N ¼ 4) of bubble algae, mysids and pellets (dw, dry weight; fw, fresh weight). Food item Water content (%) Energy content (cal. g dw21 ) Energy content (cal. g fw21 ) Bubble algae (A) 92.3 1233.4 + 78.5 95.0 + 6.0 Mysids (FM) 85.0 4606.3 + 51.6 691.0 + 7.7 Pellets (P) 5.5 4685.5 + 66.7 4427.8 + 63.1 mithraculus sculptus efficiency controlling ventricaria ventricosa 99 with not providing food in excess and using an effective filtration (mechanical filtration, skimmers and ultraviolet sterilizer to trap bubble algal juvenile cytoplasmatic spheres). Future research on these topics should be addressed in order to test M. sculptus bio-control efficiency. The cell division type of bubble algae species from the genus Valonia is different from the one displayed by Ventricaria ventricosa. Valonia species cells undergo a lenticular cell division (Olsen & West, 1988), and in this way their dispersal might not be enhanced when the alga cell is burst; M. sculptus bio-control efficiency of Valonia species may prove to be more efficient than with Ventricaria ventricaria.

CKinLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lps then. I have Acros. I'm not worried.
Never had a problem previously but I watched one pick at a millepora last night for 10 minutes. He was on the coral and not at the base. He was picking at the corallites and or polyps and going to his mouth with it. He may have been searching for something else, but it was too long for me to risk it and he was in an easy spot to get out so I took advantage of the opportunity.

Saw one pick at zoas a week back and took a chuck out of the mat, but quickly lost interest. I think in this case it was looking for something else to eat.

I’ve always had them without major issue, but just keep an eye on them.

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they def ain’t reef safe, got a couple one time and never again will I have another. Caught it munching up all my zoanthids. Took it out immediately and never put it back again

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the fence about emerald crabs. I did research, found both good and bad about them.
I have a lot of bubble algae and I wasn't getting ahead with it.
So....I ordered 4 from Reeftopia along with some snails.
I put the crabs in, didn't see any for about three, four days. Maybe they didn't make it?
Lo and behold I'm looking today and there was one feasting on bubble algae.
He was just having a feast on the algae. I watched him for about an hour.
They work on bubble algae!!!
I have one emerald in my 40 gallon, he cleared all my bubble algae, eats my green algae and will also take brine shrimp from my long pipet. I don’t often see him, but when I do I feed him brine shrimp. He comes out when he sees the pipet.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my tank that went rogue and started eating my clove polyps. It's not even I think he was eating them I was standing there watching him pluck them off one by one. He ate several before I was able to get him out. I attribute it to the fact that I had little to no algea in the tank at that time and I never specifically fed him, so I think it was just because he was starving. Even after my experience if I had a bad bubble algea outbreak I would try getting some emerald crabs again. At least he ate cheap corals.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in my tank that went rogue and started eating my clove polyps. It's not even I think he was eating them I was standing there watching him pluck them off one by one. He ate several before I was able to get him out. I attribute it to the fact that I had little to no algea in the tank at that time and I never specifically fed him, so I think it was just because he was starving. Even after my experience if I had a bad bubble algea outbreak I would try getting some emerald crabs again. At least he ate cheap corals.
I think most of the time when an animal goes rogue it's from starvation. Feed enough and everything stays in check. What would we do if faced starvation?

Back