+ Emerald crabs

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of the time when an animal goes rogue it's from starvation. Feed enough and everything stays in check. What would we do if faced starvation?
In the case with my emerald I agree completely. Even though I had that experience I would still be willing to get more if I needed one for any reason...aka bubble algea removal. I actually just started getting some bubble algea, but my purple tang will apparently eat them.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the case with my emerald I agree completely. Even though I had that experience I would still be willing to get more if I needed one for any reason...aka bubble algea removal. I actually just started getting some bubble algea, but my purple tang will apparently eat them.
Bubble algae is a pain!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae is a pain!
I had a few spots of it on my overflows which I was procrastinating on removing. I added a purple tang, not expecting him to eat it and the other day I went to go remove it and it was already gone. He is the only fish added recently so it almost had to be him. I've actually never seen bubble algea on my rocks, although I'm sure if I have them in my tank there are some in the rocks somewhere.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
R2R was founded on the simple premise to develop a warm, friendly, suitable place to gather and discuss this hobby for people of all ages, backgrounds, and experience levels. The “Be Nice” policy is something we take very seriously. Please work to separate the problem from the people and focus on addressing the problem.

We highly encourage healthy debate here and understand not everyone will agree on all issues. In fact, we value healthy and even lively discussion of hobby issues and questions...this actually leads to advancements in our hobby, so we ALL win through these debates. What we will not tolerate is the negativity, name calling, belittling attitude towards other members or the topics being discussed. We are not asking you to cease debating your positions. What we are asking is that you do so in a healthy, respectful manner.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Emerald crabs are the devil. 1st one I had was a model citizen. She did a great job around the tank and never bothered anyone. Decided to get 2 more and that was a big mistake. Ate my hammers and acans like it's candy.
Evil vile things

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen one of mine on acros. Just hanging on tho. It's like anything.,some do what they're supposed to do, some don't. I only have sps for the most part. No problem

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had around a half dozen emeralds (including 3 in my new tank), and they’re model citizens (cleaning algae, munching on seaweed and performing cleanup duty). Maybe they’ll become a nuisance once they get large enough, but right now they’re blending into the landscape.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had around a half dozen emeralds (including 3 in my new tank), and they’re model citizens (cleaning algae, munching on seaweed and performing cleanup duty). Maybe they’ll become a nuisance once they get large enough, but right now they’re blending into the landscape.
I don't think they get all that big???? 2" tops?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love emeralds. They have always taken care of my bubble algae. I have a packed reef so a few missing polyps never hurt haha But then, I’ve never seen that happen

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are between 3/4”-1”. I’m not entirely sure. My strawberry crab is about 2.5”, so they’ll have a ways to go to catch-up.
Yeah, mine are about 1". I like watching them sit there and feast. Constantly picking with those little claws and to the mouth.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mine are about 1". I like watching them sit there and feast. Constantly picking with those little claws and to the mouth.
I like how they ward off fish. They just hold their ground and stick their claws out: “Come at me bro!”

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how they ward off fish. They just hold their ground and stick their claws out: “Come at me bro!”
Haven't seen that yet. They certainly aren't scared of anything.

OP
OP
Scdell

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for the most part there's more pros than cons here for emeralds.

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trust them personally have observed many times they go onto my euphyllia. Was worried they would kill it, the next day that coral was happier than ever. Long story short now have 6 in my 240 and they go to work all day. I do feed heavy though
3F90A58B-8976-48C6-96A2-192D21FBFB96.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even after having one eat a few corals I still just added one back to my tank. My purple tang had been eating what little bubble algea I had, but she seems to have stopped. I remove the bubble algea that I can, but I'm sure there is some more in the rock I can't reach, so that's why I added one. I have heard that females are less likely to eat corals.

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even after having one eat a few corals I still just added one back to my tank. My purple tang had been eating what little bubble algea I had, but she seems to have stopped. I remove the bubble algea that I can, but I'm sure there is some more in the rock I can't reach, so that's why I added one. I have heard that females are less likely to eat corals.
Grab a trigger if needed. Lol my solution is ecosystem haha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back