Emergency: anemone hitchhiker

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished drip acclimating a huge RBTA. I dosed 2mL of Seachem Reef Dip in a bit over 750mL of water he was housed in. Once I did that, the little critter below jumped off of him and started going nuts - jumping in all directions like a flea. I included a photo of a Chinet plate with it in it for scale. It's tiny. Maybe 1 mm. I added a bit more ReefDip (1mL) after 15 minutes with the 2mL. Now that I've added that additional 1mL (total 3mL), I will give him another 15 minutes of treatment for a total of 30 minutes. I thoroughly cleaned him off with a turkey baster spraying the mixed water on all parts except the bottom of the foot which is anchored onto the side. Is it safe to add the anemone after I rinse him off with tank water? What the heck is that little thing? Is it a threat to fish??? I had to use a magnifying glass and zoom on my camera to get these photos...

20200527_130210.jpg

20200527_130334.jpg

OP
OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to put him into the tank after giving him a total of 30 minutes in the dip. He was definitely not a happy camper and I didn't want to stress him to death. I thoroughly rinsed him off with a ton of tank water before getting him in the tank. I hope I didn't make a major mistake. I am not equipped to quarantine anemones as I have my QT filled with meds toxic to inverts.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually dipping a nem is not advised. Iodine might have stressed it. 30 min is about 25 too long for any coral and nems will be unhappy.

With your drip acclimation process, sounds like you are including alot of the original water. You might want to consider just putting the nem in several decontaminated saltwater containers (with 100% of your tank water) before it goes into the main tank.

From the pics I cant see anything well but is most likely an amphipod if it was 'going crazy.' Does it look like an insect or a worm?

OP
OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone is looking really rough after the dip. With something having jumped off him, though, even if I lose the anemone, I think it was the cautious thing to do.

1590601413238.png

OP
OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not a worm. Looks more like an almost microscopic snail. Can't say it isn't something insect-like, though. Sure could be a pod. I am adding some photos below. It looks like it has an semi-opaque tube/foot or two at the base and a black dot at the top of the shell/skeleton.

I froze the critter and will see if I can take him somewhere with a microscope. I used the Seachem Reef Dip as it specifically states it's safe for anemones on the bottle, itself. Without having a quarantine tank for nems, I didn't want to take more risk than need be.

I couldn't wait to get the nem in the tank based on its reaction to the iodine Reef Mix as I was afraid it would die if I didn't get it in clean water ASAP... I hope I didn't screw up...

usually dipping a nem is not advised. Iodine might have stressed it.

With your drip acclimation process, sounds like you are including alot of the original water. You might want to consider just putting the nem in several decontaminated saltwater containers (with 100% of your tank water) before it goes into the main tank.

From the pics I cant see anything well but is most likely an amphipod if it was 'going crazy.' Does it look like an insect or a worm?

20200527_130222.jpg

20200527_130321.jpg

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the nem makes it. It's tricky bringing a nem into a new environment. You really need a QT. I think seachems reef dip says 5 min maximum.

I cant figure out what that is but looks irregular. Nems are hard to come by now adays, that was too long to dip imo. I recently got some nems and decided not to dip, but am quarantining for 79 days to eradicate possible ich.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will see if the nem is dying if it exposes it's stomach. When it looks less stressed you can try to feed it some mysis and hopefully will respond.

the closest thing that looks like to me is aptasia. in that case u did the right thing but i hope nem is ok.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: So the anemone is still alive but looks really rough. Looks like he still hasn't anchored and may have fallen (or moved) from where he was placed. I moved him to another rock and he closed up - which is good as I dind't think he would be able to close up...

1590621819539.png

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not good but nothing you can really do. Might help to run fresh carbon in your water. I wouldn't touch the nem and hope that there's a recovery overnight.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
if and i say with regret ,it starts falling apart,remove with very fine mesh net,best wishes ;)

OP
OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some more Rox carbon last night into the sump. The anemone definitely died. When I nudged it slightly this AM, it started to disintegrate into pieces. The first photo below is from prior to nudging it. I took a brine shrimp net and got the majority (I am amazed I got as much as I did) of the floating bits, although one little bit made it to one of my Gyres and passed through the mesh cover.

I still don't regret the dip as I cannot introduce unknown and potentially unwanted hitchhikers into the aquarium. I had cyrolanid isopods a long while ago and ended up having to nuke the tank to get rid of them. Never again. Never.

I double checked the label on the Reef Dip. 15-30 minutes was the recommended duration. No difference listed for anemones.

This sucks. My clowns and I were really looking forward to an anemone.

Anemone Dead - 5-28-2020 in tank.jpg

Anemone - Dead - 5-28-2020.jpg

if and i say with regret ,it starts falling apart,remove with very fine mesh net,best wishes ;)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back