EMERGENCY - Pink Sea Cucumber

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I have a pink sea cucumber that I got on Friday last week. When I brought it home, I acclimated it for about 30 mins and dropped it in the tank. It crawled up the glass to a corner across from my wavemaker and has been there ever since with his feeder arms out but since yesterday, it’s been completely closed and hasn’t been filter feeding. It looks like it’s gone a bit pale too, does anyone know what could be wrong with him? If it’s a possibility that its dying, I want to take it out right away so it doesn’t nuke my tank and kills off my other fish!
38BFC172-D6BB-4637-895B-46F1D4B6D880.jpeg

Thank you so much for all the help, I appreciate it!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I have a pink sea cucumber that I got on Friday last week. When I brought it home, I acclimated it for about 30 mins and dropped it in the tank. It crawled up the glass to a corner across from my wavemaker and has been there ever since with his feeder arms out but since yesterday, it’s been completely closed and hasn’t been filter feeding. It looks like it’s gone a bit pale too, does anyone know what could be wrong with him? If it’s a possibility that its dying, I want to take it out right away so it doesn’t nuke my tank and kills off my other fish!
38BFC172-D6BB-4637-895B-46F1D4B6D880.jpeg

Thank you so much for all the help, I appreciate it!
Pay attention to its size as compared to when you put it in, if getting smaller not good. Also look for a white spot, and watch if it grows. Be sure to keep it clear of any powerheads at this point as well.
It may still be acclimating , and could take a bit. Pinks ( with the yellow / green) are harder to maintain as filter feeders compared to those that are sand bed dwelling in my experience.
As far as the tank nuke theory, Pinks and Tiger Tails are on the less risky scale, but still a small potential to foul things up. Best of luck.

OP
OP
R

RhiD08

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pay attention to its size as compared to when you put it in, if getting smaller not good. Also look for a white spot, and watch if it grows. Be sure to keep it clear of any powerheads at this point as well.
It may still be acclimating , and could take a bit. Pinks ( with the yellow / green) are harder to maintain as filter feeders compared to those that are sand bed dwelling in my experience.
As far as the tank nuke theory, Pinks and Tiger Tails are on the less risky scale, but still a small potential to foul things up. Best of luck.
Thank you so much, I’ve been keeping a close eye on it! It opened up last night and has been open since but is looking smaller, I’m going to get some phytoplankton or reefroids and try spot feeding it! If it doesn’t look better in a few days, I will return it to the store where they’ll be able to care for it better than I can!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, I’ve been keeping a close eye on it! It opened up last night and has been open since but is looking smaller, I’m going to get some phytoplankton or reefroids and try spot feeding it! If it doesn’t look better in a few days, I will return it to the store where they’ll be able to care for it better than I can!
They will sometimes park in the weirdest places. Whenever you see an image of them they're perched nicely on a rock with their filters all extended. In reality, they usually cling to the side of the glass near a powerhead or flow to bring the food to them. They are probably one of the laziest inverts you can have in your tank (even my snails and feather dusters move more!)

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have heard this theory about the "Cuc Nuke." I have a sand sifting cucumber. If he crapped the bed and I didn't catch it, any chance he would do any damage or not that big of a deal?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard this theory about the "Cuc Nuke." I have a sand sifting cucumber. If he crapped the bed and I didn't catch it, any chance he would do any damage or not that big of a deal?
There are a few stories of them destroying tanks , but from my research the Caribbean Tiger Tails which I have ( sand sifter), are far less risk than Indo species. I've had mine for 15 years now, so can't comment on a death. It is a calculated risk I am very willing to take. It is too valuable to my system with little to no mech filtration, skimmer or sump. It is a workhorse for me....

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%

Back