Emergency Top Off Water

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to use the emergency tag but this kinda is an emergency. I don’t have a RODI unit. I’m out of top off water and I don’t have my drivers license yet, and my mom can’t take me to the store so I have no way of getting it. A considerable amount of water evaporates from my tank daily. Is there any water I can use or prepare for my tank as emergency top off? I don’t have any tap water conditioner either and I’m wondering if bottled spring water processed by ozonation would be okay just to use a bottle or two of it? My specific gravity is just over 1.026.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IF. . . IF you must use tap - Use dechlorinator, Prime and even boil it then cool it before use

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you have to wait until you can get RO/DI?

Options I would consider:
Posting in local forum / group and see if someone can deliver some to you.
Cover your tank.
Just let it get to 1.027/1.028 if need be, as long as pumps are not running dry or rock and coral exposed to air you may be better off to let the salinity rise then add questionable water to the tank.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to use the emergency tag but this kinda is an emergency. I don’t have a RODI unit. I’m out of top off water and I don’t have my drivers license yet, and my mom can’t take me to the store so I have no way of getting it. A considerable amount of water evaporates from my tank daily. Is there any water I can use or prepare for my tank as emergency top off? I don’t have any tap water conditioner either and I’m wondering if bottled spring water processed by ozonation would be okay just to use a bottle or two of it? My specific gravity is just over 1.026.

Uber? Can call the LFS and explain...I dunno.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Thank you all so much for the concern. I really appreciate all the replies, after prayer and explaining why I need top off several times I was able to get distilled water. XD I really didn’t think I was gonna be able to get any top off and my water evaporates SUPER quick. Every day it goes down a considerable amount and so by the time I got home from school tomorrow it’d probably have been 1.028 so from now on I’ll make sure no matter what I have an extra gallon on hand which should last me a little over a week. I’m looking into getting an RODI unit and an automated top off system. Again, thank you all for the replies!!! I’ll keep all of them on the back burner if God forbid I need and can’t get sweet water again

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Thank you all so much for the concern. I really appreciate all the replies, after prayer and explaining why I need top off several times I was able to get distilled water. XD I really didn’t think I was gonna be able to get any top off and my water evaporates SUPER quick. Every day it goes down a considerable amount and so by the time I got home from school tomorrow it’d probably have been 1.028 so from now on I’ll make sure no matter what I have an extra gallon on hand which should last me a little over a week. I’m looking into getting an RODI unit and an automated top off system. Again, thank you all for the replies!!! I’ll keep all of them on the back burner if God forbid I need and can’t get sweet water again
Glad it all worked out!! Happy reefing!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back