Emergency

Soup Sandwich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an Orange Spotted Blenny from Live Aquaria. The fish looked very healthy in the bag. I dumped it into the small bucket to begin acclimating, when I checked the shipping water's salinity. The water the blenny was shipped in was 40PPT, and the salinity of my quarantine tank is 30PPT, which has other new fish in it. I do not have the option to set up a new quarantine system. The salinity in my display tank is 34PPT. Does this fish stand any chance going from 40PPT to 30PPT? Do I go into the higher salinity DT and risk introducing disease?

Looking for any and all input.

Thank you.

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new... but isn't that part of the acclimation? acclimating to a new SG/salinity. Interested to see what others say. Nice slow drip acclimation is what you want here.

OP
OP
S

Soup Sandwich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new... but isn't that part of the acclimation? acclimating to a new SG/salinity. Interested to see what others say. Nice slow drip acclimation is what you want here.
Thank you. My concern is, from my quick research, that a change of salinity this great even over 24 hours would be too much.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put an air stone and heater if possible (or float in sump). Then slowly drip over. Most fish can handle it. Inverts are much more sensitive. If you use your 30ppt water, it will take 2-4x the current water volume to dilute down. Just start with a slow drip, keep it warm if possible, and then add to it's planned tank.

OP
OP
S

Soup Sandwich

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put an air stone and heater if possible (or float in sump). Then slowly drip over. Most fish can handle it. Inverts are much more sensitive. If you use your 30ppt water, it will take 2-4x the current water volume to dilute down. Just start with a slow drip, keep it warm if possible, and then add to it's planned tank.
Thank you for your input, I'll give that a shot. Fortunately the temperature in the room is the same as the tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back