Emperor angel help

predawin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Got this adult emperor on Saturday. Awesome fish with so much attitude. Tank no longer looks empty as all predator fish are nocturnal. He will only eat fresh muscles at the moment. My question is, is there any issue feeding a fresh muscle daily? Is that going to be a good amount for him to eat to get going

Attachments

• 20210725_141557.mp4
    20.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

For new fish, getting them enough calories is the key, you can work on diversifying its diet later on. Don't leave the mussels in the tank so long that they decompose - perhaps a couple of hours each. You can also try pressing other food items into empty mussel shells to try and trick it.

Looks like it has a bit of Lymphocystis on its right side and right pectoral fin - tough to see though. That could get worse, but it is self-limiting and will go away on its own without treatment.

My big worry for this fish is that emperors that haven't been quarantined very often end up with ich (Cryptocaryon) or Neobenedenia flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
P

predawin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

For new fish, getting them enough calories is the key, you can work on diversifying its diet later on. Don't leave the mussels in the tank so long that they decompose - perhaps a couple of hours each. You can also try pressing other food items into empty mussel shells to try and trick it.

Looks like it has a bit of Lymphocystis on its right side and right pectoral fin - tough to see though. That could get worse, but it is self-limiting and will go away on its own without treatment.

My big worry for this fish is that emperors that haven't been quarantined very often end up with ich (Cryptocaryon) or Neobenedenia flukes.

Jay
Thanks for the advise. That would has healed up since I took that video the first day I got him. Will try the trick with putting other foods in the shell. He's been curious about prawns but is yet to keep it down

Bodyguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Got this adult emperor on Saturday. Awesome fish with so much attitude. Tank no longer looks empty as all predator fish are nocturnal. He will only eat fresh muscles at the moment. My question is, is there any issue feeding a fresh muscle daily? Is that going to be a good amount for him to eat to get going
Beautiful angel but I hate to say it...your tank looks to be too small for that size of Emperor. Minimum tank size of at least 180 for that guy. Off topic from your thread question, but you will most likely have issues keeping him in that tank. They need the room.

OP
OP
P

predawin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful angel but I hate to say it...your tank looks to be too small for that size of Emperor. Minimum tank size of at least 180 for that guy. Off topic from your thread question, but you will most likely have issues keeping him in that tank. They need the room.
Tank is 6 x 2 x 2.5

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Theyre very succeptable to lympho. Try feeding LRS herbivore diet, sponge and clam on a shell

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, you mentioned feeding fresh mussels and I do plan to incorporate fresh seafood into my feeding regimen. Is there any way to ensure that it’s safe for the fish to consume and that it doesn’t carry any pathogens?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, you mentioned feeding fresh mussels and I do plan to incorporate fresh seafood into my feeding regimen. Is there any way to ensure that it’s safe for the fish to consume and that it doesn’t carry any pathogens?
There isn't any way to be 100% certain the live food isn't carrying pathogens. Luckily, live shellfish are unlikely to carry any of the main tropical fish pathogens, I would most be worried about Vibrio or Pseudomonas bacteria. Never feed out shellfish that are "gaping".

One thing is called "depuration" - they do this for oysters here in the US - basically hold the shellfish for 3 days in clean seawater to flush out as many pathogens as possible.

For my area, live shellfish come mainly from coldwater areas, so I'm not too worried - you may have other issues with tropical shellfish that I am not aware of.

Jay

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OMG, he's amazing! I miss my emperor. Due to the size of my aquarium she was rehomed.
SHE loved nori. Went through 1 ounce in a week. And 4 ounces of frozen table shrimp, mixed bag of muscles and scallops. Wonderful fish full of personality.
I wish I would have seen this post earlier. But yes, shellfish and nori was her diet. I am glad you got yours to eat well.
;Joyful

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back