encrusting coral on a figurine

ocnbrze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,
so i have a cloudberry chalice which i believe is an encrusting coral. i was thinking of gluing it to a glass figurine. i was thinking something like a skull or a dragon head.

what do you think? will this work for me? is this the wrong coral to do this?

do you have any encrusting coral on a figurine? post pics if you do.

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,
so i have a cloudberry chalice which i believe is an encrusting coral. i was thing of gluing it to a glass figurine. i was think something like a skull or a dragon head.

what do you think? will this work for me? is this the wrong coral to do this?

do you have any encrusting coral on a figurine? post pics if you do.
It's a neat idea imo. Chalice might both encrust and plate out same time. I'd try it.

I have a Green Monti that is growing ever so slow about an inch a year on some old Fiji branch rock , thought it would look cool EVENTUALLY, So also recently put favia on same branch and we see who wins the turtle race....

OP
OP
ocnbrze

ocnbrze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what i know about chalices is that it will depend on the species whether they will plate or not. i believe that the cloudberry is an encrusting coral. the reason why i say this is that it is on a coral frag plug and it has growing down the sides of the plug now. if it was a plating coral it would have started to plate already.

my lights just turned off so i will post a pic later of the coral.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this. Created a silicone mold and cast figures with reef safe cement and grew corals on them. Skulls with GSP for hair were really popular

OP
OP
ocnbrze

ocnbrze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this. Created a silicone mold and cast figures with reef safe cement and grew corals on them. Skulls with GSP for hair were really popular
awesome idea!!!!!

did you do this with a 3-D printer? and then made the silicone mold?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what i know about chalices is that it will depend on the species whether they will plate or not. i believe that the cloudberry is an encrusting coral. the reason why i say this is that it is on a coral frag plug and it has growing down the sides of the plug now. if it was a plating coral it would have started to plate already.

my lights just turned off so i will post a pic later of the coral.

It depends not only on the chalice but on light. I would expect if the figure has shaded areas it will start plating more than encrusting further into shade.

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quite bit of other are doing this with cyphastrea coral
1644561669616.png

1644561820877.png

looks really cool actually. good luck

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried doing this with a resin mermaid figure but it never took off. I love the idea.

OP
OP
ocnbrze

ocnbrze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just bought an Aquaman monti from TSA. i was thinking of gluing it to an Aquaman figurine.

can anyone 3-D print me one? i'll pay of course. otherwise i'm gonna search for something.

Back