Encrusting vs growth at the tips - why?

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to find all of my branching type SPS begin to grow at the tips very soon after I put them in my tank and usually take a lot longer to start encrusting on to rock or a frag plug.

I've recently seen a few local reefer's tanks and their SPS tend to do a lot of encrusting at the base before they show much, or any upwards growth.

Is there a reason for this? It's not a problem but I am curious about whether there are any factors that might influence this behaviour.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to find all of my branching type SPS begin to grow at the tips very soon after I put them in my tank and usually take a lot longer to start encrusting on to rock or a frag plug.

I've recently seen a few local reefer's tanks and their SPS tend to do a lot of encrusting at the base before they show much, or any upwards growth.

Is there a reason for this? It's not a problem but I am curious about whether there are any factors that might influence this behaviour.

Both happen in my tank. Digitata's encrust, acros grow branches.

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both happen in my tank. Digitata's encrust, acros grow branches.

Which reminds me of another questions I wanted to ask. I'm finding my montipora cap looks healthy and has beautiful colour but isn't growing (been in the tank a month). Can I assume that it won't until is has encrusted thoroughly on to the rock underneath?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which reminds me of another questions I wanted to ask. I'm finding my montipora cap looks healthy and has beautiful colour but isn't growing (been in the tank a month). Can I assume that it won't until is has encrusted thoroughly on to the rock underneath?

I believe that some need to encrust and get a good hold before branching out, such as the montipora capricornis.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think it’s flow.

I’ve used the same coral in different parts of the tank and gotten different results.

I think higher flow is more encrusting.

I could be wrong, so IME.
Same with mine, all my corals that are getting blasted with flow tend to encrust for a long time before branching out

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cali tort gets blasted and even growing away from the flow, but still hasnt encrusted. Has branched quite a bit though.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be interested in some observations from maybe @FarmerTy , @Dana Riddle , @jda

Any others?

I’ve always wondered about it.
I've personally observed the same... Higher flow causes them to encrust a bit first before branching as a generality. But I've also observed particular corals such as the Foxflame, Red Planet, and Vivid Confetti off the top of my head that will lay a huge base in my system and others before branching much at all, irregardless of flow.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals will never encrust much... knock-off red dragon is one whereas the real-deal CITR red dragon will encrust just a tiny bit. Some will want to encrust a lot before they start to grow... Garf Bonsai.

My main theory (with no real basis to back this up) is that corals that encrust a ton before they start to grow vertically are looking to grow an area where they can capture as much light as possible - they are energy lovers. I am not saying that there is too little light, only that they seem to want a lot. Smaller frags (nubs) will encrust more than a 2" frag, IME. Even back when the trend was not to light corals with "barely enough" light, there were still corals that laid a large base before they grew, but not as many as it seems now.

I never found flow to have too much to do with it for most corals for encrusting. Branch thickness and growth pattern is different.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me blow your all's mind with this one? What is the reason for pretty new phenonomen of having a whole bunch of new growth shoot from the bottom instead of the branch starting to grow? I never used to see this before 4-5 years ago, or at least it did not seem like it.

MarinaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9FDBD687-A8BF-44E6-AAC6-40B4D3ED3FFB.jpeg
I also think it is flow related. I have a ton of flow, and most of my sps base out. I should have placed them closer together lol

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9FDBD687-A8BF-44E6-AAC6-40B4D3ED3FFB.jpeg
I also think it is flow related. I have a ton of flow, and most of my sps base out. I should have placed them closer together lol
I would concur. It would make sense from a biological perspective to encrust more in heavier flow to build a solid foundation to prevent against breakage. Also to grow thicker branches and flatter growth pattern to minimize flow impact as well.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its dependent on the species of acropora you are trying to grow. Some types will need to grow a large base first like abrotranoides and some won't even encrust like some staghorn. Flow may be a small factor in how much it encrusts but like jda said, it contributes more to health, branch size and thickness.

Hexabonal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems likely that it would be similar to plants: genetics, wind/flow and light would all factor in to the growth.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That picture from reef builders is one of the most colorful stag patches of a reef I have ever seen a picture of. The big gold stag makes me drool. The video was pretty nice to see, it didn't really go into the encrusting of the corals though, but did say how flow affects branch size, pattern, and thickness. Thanks for posting that.

bobbyM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That picture from reef builders is one of the most colorful stag patches of a reef I have ever seen a picture of. The big gold stag makes me drool. The video was pretty nice to see, it didn't really go into the encrusting of the corals though, but did say how flow affects branch size, pattern, and thickness. Thanks for posting that.

I don’t think you’ll find a direct and complete answer. If you do I want to know too. I usually see acros encrust until they run out of room, then branch.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s flow.

I’ve used the same coral in different parts of the tank and gotten different results.

I think higher flow is more encrusting.

I could be wrong, so IME.

All my sps tend to encrust down a lot before shooting up. I thought it was due to lighting but now you mentioned it I think flow does have something to do with it. I have four MP60s and four MP40s in a 300 gallon tank and the water is always very turbulent in the tank.
On the other hand I do have eight Radions G4 Pros so maybe it is partially due to the lighting too...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back