Enough flow for RSR 250?

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how much flow is adequate for my new mixed reef build (softies and LPS only). It's for a reefer 250. I already purchased a Sicce Syncra silent 3.0 rated at 714gph for my return pump based on Red Sea's recommended flow.

For flow in the display I ordered a AI Nero 3. I'm assuming this is not enough combined flow for this tank so would adding a second Nero 3 be enough or should I upsize to a Nero 5 for the second pump?

Thanks for the help, i'm a tad lost on making this decision.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in-mind that the Sicce Silent 3.0 only provides about 400gph installed, since you'll have approximately 4-5 feet of piping, elbows, etc. Best-case scenario you'll maybe get 460gph - but that's it. That may be completely sufficient anyway, and Red Sea always overstates their requirements.

In terms of wavemakers, a pair of Nero 3's would probably be your best bet. You might be able to get away with a single Nero 5, but I'd be more inclined to have a pair of Nero 3's for redundancy and to ensure you can get the right flow that you want everywhere in the tank.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in-mind that the Sicce Silent 3.0 only provides about 400gph installed, since you'll have approximately 4-5 feet of piping, elbows, etc. Best-case scenario you'll maybe get 460gph - but that's it. That may be completely sufficient anyway, and Red Sea always overstates their requirements.

In terms of wavemakers, a pair of Nero 3's would probably be your best bet. You might be able to get away with a single Nero 5, but I'd be more inclined to have a pair of Nero 3's for redundancy and to ensure you can get the right flow that you want everywhere in the tank.

Thank you, i'm leaning the same direction with 2 Nero 3's.
Would you say my return pump is undersized then? This was what came recommended for the 250.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, i'm leaning the same direction with 2 Nero 3's.
Would you say my return pump is undersized then? This was what came recommended for the 250.
Not necessarily. While Red Sea doesn't state it, the recommended flow is at the head, ie: before any twists and turns and length of pipe. So yes, a Sicce Silent 3.0 will probably be more than enough. I like the ADV models as they have built-in WiFi and allow you to better fine-tune flow, so you'd be very happy with something like the ADV 5.5.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. While Red Sea doesn't state it, the recommended flow is at the head, ie: before any twists and turns and length of pipe. So yes, a Sicce Silent 3.0 will probably be more than enough. I like the ADV models as they have built-in WiFi and allow you to better fine-tune flow, so you'd be very happy with something like the ADV 5.5.

I'll start with the Sicce for now in that case and take a look at the ADV 5.5 as an upgrade. I'm definitely about to order a 2nd Nero 3 though so thank you for the help!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start with the Sicce for now in that case and take a look at the ADV 5.5 as an upgrade. I'm definitely about to order a 2nd Nero 3 though so thank you for the help!
Yes, it’s always there as an option. I run my UV off a Silent 3.0 and recently upgraded it to an ADV so I could have the remote ability for my Apex to control it. The Neros are great units - you’ll love them!

djoetting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how the 2 AI nero 3's worked out for you as im looking for my rsr 250 build too.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how the 2 AI nero 3's worked out for you as im looking for my rsr 250 build too.
Hi, I use 3 Nero 5’s in my rsr250 set between 20-40%. It’s good having the extra power to stir things up when needed but I’m sure nero 3,s will work well.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They have been great, I run them at 50% and it’s been plenty of flow for my LPS and softies. Although if you plan on going for an SPS dominant tank I’d go with two Nero 5’s instead.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been great, I run them at 50% and it’s been plenty of flow for my LPS and softies. Although if you plan on going for an SPS dominant tank I’d go with two Nero 5’s instead.
Hi, Where did you mount your Nero,s?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back