Equipment Sanitation

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone asked a question regarding sanitizing a salinity tester between different tanks and it got me thinking - what's the best way to sanitize equipment to prevent possible transmission between tanks?

I know cryptocaryon cannot survive extreme hypo salinity or desiccation, rinsing and drying with DI water should be adequate.

Likewise, some Amyloodinium has been reported to survive down to 3 ppt, but not lower, and not desiccation, so rinsing and drying should be adequate here, too.

Would this be adequate for other disease? And if you wanted to use a piece of equipment before it had completely dried, what other protocols would be adequate?

Bleach should work but is not compatible with many materials and is pretty toxic if you don't get it rinsed off completely.

Peroxide and vinegar also come to mind as good, safe sanitation agents.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bleach, rinse, rinse, rinse, dry to remove biofilm from tanks and equipment.
Then, I use vinegar, rinse, rinse, rinse, dry to precipitate copper into a harmless form on tanks and equipment.
Lastly, If there has been a nasty disease/parasite, I use hydrogen peroxide, rinse, rinse, rinse, dry.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a dedicated dropper for each tank. Don't let the water from one tank enter another. "Yes, you need to wash your hands under hot water with soap between each measurement." Florence Nightengale.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my bout with Uronema I have the QT and equipment running in 15% bleach water then will wipe down and hit it with vinegar.

DC9F1A20-08C9-42F4-B00C-0BDD3610DCE8.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back