OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I control my temperature on my 29 biocube

My heating is done by a 100w titanium heater running through the digiten temperature controller, this also controls the 3 fans to keep the temperature stable. I'm currently evaporating about 1.5-2 gallons a week with an open top and Salinity is kept in check with the aqua duetto ato

20200409_183211.jpg
20200423_184832.jpg
Do you have a link to those fans?

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into this a lot more money though.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish I could afford a chiller but $250-300 is $250-300. And I don't have that kinda dosh in this climate *pu-dum-tish*

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would confirm this in the seahorse forum but I remember reading from experienced keepers that a seahorse tank should not be allowed to go above 74, or maybe 72? At that point the odds of severe (deadly) bacterial infections go up a lot and they are already more prone to these than many fish.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would confirm this in the seahorse forum but I remember reading from experienced keepers that a seahorse tank should not be allowed to go above 74, or maybe 72? At that point the odds of severe (deadly) bacterial infections go up a lot and they are already more prone to these than many fish.
then I need to work on getting a decent chiller first. I can't hope to always have fans on it.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so cool! I wonder if I could get some small fans like that in a closed biocube. I only ask as I really don't have the setup to mix my own salt a lot at home. So to keep the salt in and the water from evaporating, I used it closed.
The 2 little ones are Easycargo 40mm and the one hanging from the light is an 80mm Viper but any fans will do as long as they are high cfm. I believe total all 3 came out to $15. There's a 4th 120mm infinity fan cooling my refugium light because even that will raise tank temperature but that's more of a preventative measure.

I've seen some people cut two holes on their hoods for fans and it has worked out pretty good for them.

Just remember they can't run all day they need to be controlled somehow.

My set up heater, fans and controller is probably around $120

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 little ones are Easycargo 40mm and the one hanging from the light is an 80mm Viper but any fans will do as long as they are high cfm. I believe total all 3 came out to $15. There's a 4th 120mm infinity fan cooling my refugium light because even that will raise tank temperature but that's more of a preventative measure.

I've seen some people cut two holes on their hoods for fans and it has worked out pretty good for them.

That is a super good price!

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

judging by the measurements I googled, I believe I can even put these into my tank by the back of the hood near the hinge. Do they do okay next to the salt water? Of course I wouldn't put them anywhere near the surface of the water.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the UK and my D-D Dual Heating & Cooling Controller alarm was going off a few nights ago because the temp rose to 28 degrees (82.4F). I have a 200 gallon glass hooded aquarium so the frozen water bottle and fan over the top won’t help that much nor give me piece of mind. I have a closed aquarium because I’ve had a few jumpers already and didn’t want to go through so much RODI with auto top ups, lastly I wanted a pelmet

I‘ve decided to buy a chiller that connects to the D-D controller so I can have piece of mind as the summer hasn’t even begun yet. It hit almost 39 degrees (102.2F) where I live last year.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the UK and my D-D Dual Heating & Cooling Controller alarm was going off a few nights ago because the temp rose to 28 degrees (82.4F). I have a 200 gallon glass hooded aquarium so the frozen water bottle and fan over the top won’t help that much nor give me piece of mind. I have a closed aquarium because I’ve had a few jumpers already and didn’t want to go through so much RODI with auto top ups, lastly I wanted a pelmet

I‘ve decided to buy a chiller that connects to the D-D controller so I can have piece of mind as the summer hasn’t even begun yet. It hit almost 39 degrees (102.2F) where I live last year.
If by next year I can afford a 180-200 gallon tank for my (now) baby horseshoe crab, I will indeed need to factor in the cost of a chiller.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by next year I can afford a 180-200 gallon tank for my (now) baby horseshoe crab, I will indeed need to factor in the cost of a chiller.

The chiller is costing me £499 with all the bits so it’s not cheap but there’s no point getting one that can’t handle the water volume.

Having a 200 gallon reef tank isn’t cheap, either to maintain or fill with corals and fish. I dont care because it was a dream of mine

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious, would the noise of a fan, the protein skimmer, and the powerhead could do in this small 32 gallon tank. Are seahorses, shrimp, and my brittle star going to be stressed out by all this noise? Does the noise...hurt my corals? This is something I have thought about.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious, would the noise of a fan, the protein skimmer, and the powerhead could do in this small 32 gallon tank. Are seahorses, shrimp, and my brittle star going to be stressed out by all this noise? Does the noise...hurt my corals? This is something I have thought about.
I have a 500w surround sound inches from my tank, they don't even flinch

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news. So in the time before I can purchase some fans or a chiller, I’ve decided to open the lid at night, turn off the lights, and add two LED lights that I had been using for some indoor succulent plants and an avocado sapling. However now that it is 85 degrees Fahrenheit most days in Tennessee, I no longer need them inside and thus have repurposed the light. I’ll open the lid and turn on the blue LEDs at night and watch my salinity for water changes. This should work for now right?

3677E2B7-617A-460D-8D22-CC003444C8FA.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back