Equipment to cool down a tank.

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So I have a strange request. Is there any equipment I could get that would help cool off my 32 gallon biocube? My issues is my current apartment is incredibly poor at keeping cool air in and our AC unit is very weak. I am planing on moving at the first of August just when things being to get really hot here in the south. I have one power head currently and no more as I want this tank safe for ponies. I still need to pony proof my current powerhead. My concern is I think the heat may be stressing my corals. My GSP has closed and hasn't opened in days.

image_from_ios.jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. So I have a strange request. Is there any equipment I could get that would help cool off my 32 gallon biocube? My issues is my current apartment is incredibly poor at keeping cool air in and our AC unit is very weak. I am planing on moving at the first of August just when things being to get really hot here in the south. I have one power head currently and no more as I want this tank safe for ponies. I still need to pony proof my current powerhead. My concern is I think the heat may be stressing my corals. My GSP has closed and hasn't opened in days.

image_from_ios.jpg
Have u looked into Chillers? There are a ton on the market, but few are cheap. Used may be the way to go if u decide to go with a cooler.

Some people simply attach or mount a fan of sorts to blow across the filtration.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few bottles of frozen water would do the trick
This would work in a pinch, but if they are looking for a long term way to solve temperature spikes, chillers are the way to go, imho.

charlie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
according to your picture, that's not really that bad at 79 degrees. A simple fan will do the trick. Its best if you have some type of controller to connect the fan for automated control like an ink bird. If you decide for a chiller, your in a good position to buy the smaller version like a jbj 1/15 or 1/10 at most, but you'll need to figure out a way to plumb that in with your bio cube since I believe is an all in one. Id opt.ed for a fan since you have central air even if not all that great, It will at least circulate the cool air. But keep in mind, you'll experience more evaporation so hoping you have a auto top off for fresh water.

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your tank highest temp recorded?

Either blow a fan over the top or freeze your rodi water and add then as you go. Good cooling ATO. Or a chiller.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I am super thankful to hear that a simple fan over the top will help. I was looking at the Chill Solutions chillers but they are $299 new. That would take a few months to get with savings. And I am still saving for my sea horses. So I like the route of the fan for now.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup any airflow you can add to that hood will help significantly just be aware that they might work too well and unless they are hooked up to a controller they may overpower your heater.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup any airflow you can add to that hood will help significantly just be aware that they might work too well and unless they are hooked up to a controller they may overpower your heater.
Oh I don't have a heater in at all. It just keeps rising up to the top of my safe levels at room temp.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also realize that when I put the hood up and put a fan on, I may need to watch the salt levels as the water evaporates and the salt remains.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can't just run a fan all day as you might dip too cold, also because you are increasing the rate of evaporation you'll have to do more frequent top offs and this is where an ATO really shines

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I control my temperature on my 29 biocube

My heating is done by a 100w titanium heater running through the digiten temperature controller, this also controls the 3 fans to keep the temperature stable. I'm currently evaporating about 1.5-2 gallons a week with an open top and Salinity is kept in check with the aqua duetto ato

20200409_183211.jpg
20200423_184832.jpg

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I do it on a bigger scale. Keep in mind, I have these fans set to come on if the tank reaches 82 degrees as a precaution. I’ve had tanks stay at 84 for several weeks on end when I wasn’t using fans with no issues. If you do run a fan, you’ll want to also run an ato system because your tank will evaporate water like crazy. My first tank was a 36 gallon and during summer months It was evaporating 3-4 gallons per day due to the fans and was adding rodi back in manually.

3A79F671-5F69-4DB7-8EF3-42BAB00F1FC3.jpeg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I do it on a bigger scale. Keep in mind, I have these fans set to come on if the tank reaches 82 degrees as a precaution. I’ve had tanks stay at 84 for several weeks on end when I wasn’t using fans with no issues. If you do run a fan, you’ll want to also run an ato system because your tank will evaporate water like crazy. My first tank was a 36 gallon and during summer months It was evaporating 3-4 gallons per day due to the fans and was adding rodi back in manually.

3A79F671-5F69-4DB7-8EF3-42BAB00F1FC3.jpeg
Barn door on the cabinet bru you wild that looks awesome

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I control my temperature on my 29 biocube

My heating is done by a 100w titanium heater running through the digiten temperature controller, this also controls the 3 fans to keep the temperature stable. I'm currently evaporating about 1.5-2 gallons a week with an open top and Salinity is kept in check with the aqua duetto ato

20200409_183211.jpg
20200423_184832.jpg
That is so cool! I wonder if I could get some small fans like that in a closed biocube. I only ask as I really don't have the setup to mix my own salt a lot at home. So to keep the salt in and the water from evaporating, I used it closed.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back