Eric's Red Sea Reefer 525XL Build

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you a replicating my manifold then yes your list looks correct. You have 5x 1/2" unions and I only used 3 so not sure what the extra 2 are for but you are not missing anything. Don't forget to order the o-ring kit I listed a few pages back, you will need it for the reactors.

Edit: Just noticed you have 1-1/4" straps. You need 1" straps for 1" pipe.
Not positive, but you may need the 1/4" larger straps, due to the fittings larger outer diameter.

bpapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from www.PVCFittingonline .com
"Thanks for contacting us. All of our valves are full port and do not get smaller inside of the valves. The fittings are pretty much the same. There are stops so the pipe can’t slide freely all the way through, but the openings will be the same for schedule 40 and schedule 80. The difference in thickness is accounted for on the outside of the fittings."

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need a special Connector to go to 1 inch PVC for the L1 ?
No you don't, just make sure you hold the pipe and fitting for 10-15 seconds so that it doesn't get pushed out.

Did you cure your Pukani Dry Rock ?
I hear it is loaded with phosphates when you first get it, until rinsed and soaked for 6 - 8 weeks.
Yes I did. I used a faster method though. Did two 30 minute acid baths then soaked in water/bleach for 24hrs then drained, rinse and soaked in RO/DI water with Prime for another 48hours then I let it dry for a few days and began to work on the aquascape.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nleijon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like mine a little (450) but I installed 5 valves. (You never know...[emoji23])

e44a43bee61aaa20a4e3a3719d96cfb2.jpg

nleijon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to install a fourth valve but ran out of room lol

Yeah, can see that. But the reactors placement in nice, I might change mine now. I got my tank second hand (but no plumbing) so I'll plan to change part as I go along

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets continue with the tank build :) There are no plans to set up a frag tank anytime soon so I need a place to hold my frags till they encrust a bit and I move them to the rock work. I wanted something slim and small with a decent surface area. Zen Reef had the perfect frag rack. It holds 48 plugs and its only 13" long by 3" wide and the magnet is super strong. It comes with the grip locks so no snails will be knocking down the plugs like it usually happens when they are resting on egg crate.

I know not much of an update but its something :)

Reefer 525XL -3-24-2017
by Reefer525XL, on Flickr

Reefer 525XL -3-24-2017-2

Reefer 525XL -3-24-2017-3

Reefer 525XL -3-24-2017-4

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be a little careful that it doesn't scratch the tank. Someone had posted that a mag frag rack scratched his tank

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be a little careful that it doesn't scratch the tank. Someone had posted that a mag frag rack scratched his tank

That is my only concern. I was surprise they don't include some sort of felt pad to protect the glass. The idea is to mount the rack on the overflow box since I don't want anything obstructing the view in the front but regardless a felt pad would be nice to have.

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such beautiful setup Congrats [emoji323], unfortunately my tank crashed last week after leaving for two weeks hopefully I will rebuild soon.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such beautiful setup Congrats [emoji323], unfortunately my tank crashed last week after leaving for two weeks hopefully I will rebuild soon.
Thanks and that sucks! I know the feeling first hand.

bpapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the split output from TSA , how did u attach it to the output did you glue it , what type of glue did u use?

Also I am working on the electrical side of the tank can u show a picture of it. I want to build a fake wall with the power supplies behind it.

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the split output from TSA , how did u attach it to the output did you glue it , what type of glue did u use?

Also I am working on the electrical side of the tank can u show a picture of it. I want to build a fake wall with the power supplies behind it.

No I did not glue it. I used teflon tape to go around the piece that gets inserted into the red sea return nozzle. Go around it 3-6 times and then push it it. It will fit snug and it won't come off unless you pull on it.

Still working on the electrical side so have not taken any pictures. Might take a while because Im considering switching back to the Apex controller so everything is on hold right now.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most Red Sea Reefer owners I was also using 1/2" loc line to split my return nozzle not only to aim the flow to different areas of the tank but to stop the sand from getting blown towards the back of the tank.

@TSA makes a custom 3D printed Loc-Line Adapter for the Red Sea Reefer tanks so I decided to try it in hopes that I gained a bit more flow out of my return pump since their adapter is for 3/4" Loc-Line. Im not running the pump at 100% so I can still increase the speed to get more flow back to the tank but I know the "U" in my manifold is creating a lot of head pressure so Im willing to try anything to reduce the head pressure cause by the "U" bend. By installing the 3/4" adapter from TSA with 3/4" lic-line I gained a little over 250 l/ph from my return pump still running it at the same speed.

Over all Im very pleased with the results and very happy that I switched the adapter and loc-line to 3/4".

I highly recommend that if you have a RS Reefer you give this a try, totally worth the extra money.

Link to product: http://topshelfaquatics.com/product/red-sea-reefer-lockline-adapter-nozzle/

Here are a few images of the adapter and loc-line installed on my Reefer525xl.

Reefer 525XL -3-14-2017-6

Reefer 525XL -3-14-2017-8

Reefer 525XL -3-14-2017

Reefer 525XL -3-14-2017-3

Reefer 525XL -3-14-2017-5
which plastic did you use to print this? Is it reef safe and doesn't leach into the water? I am intrigued as I have a 3D printer too. Sexy tank by the way, it's the one I'm looking at right now too. I have your fridge too lol

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which plastic did you use to print this? Is it reef safe and doesn't leach into the water? I am intrigued as I have a 3D printer too. Sexy tank by the way, it's the one I'm looking at right now too. I have your fridge too lol

Im not quite sure which plastic was use to print. @TSA is an aquarium store in Orlando so Im sure they used something that was Reef Safe. I will ask them and report back when I get an answer.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 27 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 97 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back