Eshopps Overflow Box Eclipse - L vs 20″ Synergy Reef Overflow??????

vinny110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fellow R2R members,

given the choice of either Eshopps Overflow Box Eclipse - L vs 20″ Synergy Reef Overflow, which one would you pick and why? Aside from the price difference...This is gonna to be used for a 64 gallon shallow reef tank.

Links are below;

https://www.marinedepot.com/Eshopps...twater_Aquariums-Eshopps-QH95862-FIOF-vi.html

http://synergyreef.com/product/20-synergy-reef-overflow/
All depends on how much of the box you want inside the tank. The synergy is going to take up 20" whereas the eclipse will only take up 12" but it will be a little bit bigger width wise. I currently use the Eclpise S on my tank and love it however I am unfamiliar with the synergy. And it all depends on how much flow you want, the synergy is going to be able to handle 2500 gallons per hour whereas the eclipse will only handle 1000. Even at 10x turnover you'd only need about 700 gallons per hour. The eclipse is also less expensive than the synergy.

OP
OP
vinny110

vinny110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on how much of the box you want inside the tank. The synergy is going to take up 20" whereas the eclipse will only take up 12" but it will be a little bit bigger width wise. I currently use the Eclpise S on my tank and love it however I am unfamiliar with the synergy. And it all depends on how much flow you want, the synergy is going to be able to handle 2500 gallons per hour whereas the eclipse will only handle 1000. Even at 10x turnover you'd only need about 700 gallons per hour. The eclipse is also less expensive than the synergy.
thanks crabs_mcjones, I guess the eclipse is more than enough for a 64 gallon tank. I should also note my sump will be 45 gallon, so total water volume of 109 gallons.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks crabs_mcjones, I guess the eclipse is more than enough for a 64 gallon tank. I should also note my sump will be 45 gallon, so total water volume of 109 gallons.
Do you have a general idea of how much turnover you want? the normal is 5 to 7, unless you're shooting for something like the triton method that recommends 10x. So even at 109 total water volume, with a standard turnover you are only looking at 500-650 gallons per hour which the eclipse can more than handle :)

OP
OP
vinny110

vinny110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not thought about how much overflow I want, but i'll be using an eheim compact + 3000 return pump. Just wanted to go custom after having a red sea reefer 250, and the nuisance of the stock overflow setup especially with the drain valve always needs adjusting after the tank matures. How much overflow do I need for this kind of setup?
Appreciate the help and advice :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not thought about how much overflow I want, but i'll be using an eheim compact + 3000 return pump. Just wanted to go custom after having a red sea reefer 250, and the nuisance of the stock overflow setup especially with the drain valve always needs adjusting after the tank matures. How much overflow do I need for this kind of setup?
Appreciate the help and advice :)
How much overflow you need greatly depends on your plans for the tank. If you're doing the triton method or an SPS dominant tank, i'd shoot for 8 to 10X turn over. If you're doing a mixed reef the 5 to 7 times turnover is more then enough :)

OP
OP
vinny110

vinny110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much overflow you need greatly depends on your plans for the tank. If you're doing the triton method or an SPS dominant tank, i'd shoot for 8 to 10X turn over. If you're doing a mixed reef the 5 to 7 times turnover is more then enough :)
I'm going for the triton method, would the eshopps overflow be sufficient?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going for the triton method, would the eshopps overflow be sufficient?
If your total water volume is 109, the eclipse is rated for 1000. you'd be just shy of 10x turnover. depended on your return pump size and head loss pressure it should be ok. But if you're going to go anything over 1000 gallons i'd then opt for the synergy. #reefsquad do you concur?

OP
OP
vinny110

vinny110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your total water volume is 109, the eclipse is rated for 1000. you'd be just shy of 10x turnover. depended on your return pump size and head loss pressure it should be ok. But if you're going to go anything over 1000 gallons i'd then opt for the synergy. #reefsquad do you concur?
thanks for the input, so to be on the safe side...i'd better go with synergy overflow system :)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16 inch synergy on my 75. I run around 600 gph. It could easily handle a lot more. I'm not familiar with the eshop's but I really like the synergy's .

Cresta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the large eclipse overflow for 3 months on a 150g tank. It can handle the flow without any problem. However, i’ve notice the acrylic overflow box body “bending”. There is a noticeable 1/8” gap between box and top black cover when closed. For a 3 month old unit to have this type of change is pretty bad. I havn’t contacted eshopp regarding this yet. Is it a defective unit?? I don’t know yet, but figure make a quick post to share my experience before you make yours.

I will try to post a pic of the gap later tonight.

OP
OP
vinny110

vinny110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the large eclipse overflow for 3 months on a 150g tank. It can handle the flow without any problem. However, i’ve notice the acrylic overflow box body “bending”. There is a noticeable 1/8” gap between box and top black cover when closed. For a 3 month old unit to have this type of change is pretty bad. I havn’t contacted eshopp regarding this yet. Is it a defective unit?? I don’t know yet, but figure make a quick post to share my experience before you make yours.

I will try to post a pic of the gap later tonight.
thanks for the input, I've heard stories about the eclipse not being sturdy. Please share pic when you are free to do so. Appreciate it :)

Cresta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2018-01-05 01.35.45.jpg

The yellow arrow above shows the bend...its not optical illusion from the camera's lens. I will take a top down pic tomorrow night with the overflow cover on and post it later. You'll definitely be able to see the gap I'm referring to.

Cresta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2018-02-15 03.25.22.jpg
2018-02-15 03.25.39.jpg

Sorry for the late pics....

First pic showing from top down, with black cover on, yellow arrows pointing to the wide "bow".

Second pic is from the front looking at the same bow.

The overflow box is not half full...there shouldn't be any outward pressure pushing on the wall...I don't know why the bow developed. The material used in making the box seems to be sturdy, pretty thick material. Even though not all plastics are made the same.... extruded vs. cast. But the bowing issue here is beyond that....neither types of acrylic should have this kind of "99 cents store bought box" type of failure, and developing so quickly.

I will email eshopps tomorrow and see what they say.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic is notorious for warping in the presence of water. The better made boxes will have acrylic struts that span the box to help to prevent the warping (my MM model does). Lids are usually made from polycarbonate which is less likely to warp. Doubt that it's a structural issue, more cosmetic.

OP
OP
vinny110

vinny110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2018-02-15 03.25.22.jpg
2018-02-15 03.25.39.jpg

Sorry for the late pics....

First pic showing from top down, with black cover on, yellow arrows pointing to the wide "bow".

Second pic is from the front looking at the same bow.

The overflow box is not half full...there shouldn't be any outward pressure pushing on the wall...I don't know why the bow developed. The material used in making the box seems to be sturdy, pretty thick material. Even though not all plastics are made the same.... extruded vs. cast. But the bowing issue here is beyond that....neither types of acrylic should have this kind of "99 cents store bought box" type of failure, and developing so quickly.

I will email eshopps tomorrow and see what they say.
thanks for the update, should definitely call support on that matter...for a replacement.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the different benefits of the Synergy. Tinted exterior box to prevent algae growth. Exterior box lid to quiet water noise, adds rigidity and again blocks light. Removeable weir for cleaning, and included additional weir. Drain stubs on exterior box eliminate need of extra bulkheads, less likely to leak. Wider internal box weir for better surface skimming.

Then only potential disadvantage of the Synergy that I'm aware of is the internal box has a top lid to it. This can be perceived as negative because it doesn't have a failsafe for flooding if the entire weir gets blocked. It can also be a positive in keeping jumping fish out of the overflow.

Hope this helps.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back