Euphylia corals not doing good.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lost tracking this thread. 55 dollars is highway robbery for a salifert Mag test kit. You can get them on Amazon for 19 dollars.

Outhouse, you are speaking very unintelligently on Mag. It's one of the most important parameters on a reef tank. Up to you whether you test it not. Looks like you have a tank full of rock anemones otherwise known as Majano.....

At any rate, yea get your lighting adjusted for sure, but also keep a check on your mag. Best of luck and any way I can help, shoot me a PM.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210924_205630.jpg

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like reef crystals would have that covered.
It does have mag covered. I have never had to add any supplement to my water, less my Ca reactor and kalk.

The main thing that depletes mag in a tank is calcification, and you have so little of that in such a new tank, your mag levels have to be very close to the typical levels in reef crystals.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused about the whole magnesium discussion.

" It is critically low at 980, everything should be dying if his test kit is correct."

The value is 980 ppm on his kit?

"Since I don’t have a test kit yet."

He doesn't have a test kit?

Can both be true?

Adding a little magnesium is like tossing packing peanuts to a drowning man. If its low enough to be a problem, you need a lot.

That said, I think it is highly unlikely that the magnesium is the problem (could only be true if the batch of salt mix was seriously off). To drop even 100 ppm in magnesium, you'd had to have added something like a thousand ppm of calcium and loads of alkalinity.

All corals seem to do fine in the ocean at an average of 1280 ppm magnesium. perhaps that is not optimal for some corals, but it is sufficient for them to thrive.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused about the whole magnesium discussion.

" It is critically low at 980, everything should be dying if his test kit is correct."

The value is 980 ppm on his kit?

"Since I don’t have a test kit yet."

He doesn't have a test kit?

Can both be true?

Adding a little magnesium is like tossing packing peanuts to a drowning man. If its low enough to be a problem, you need a lot.

That said, I think it is highly unlikely that the magnesium is the problem (could only be true if the batch of salt mix was seriously off). To drop even 100 ppm in magnesium, you'd had to have added something like a thousand ppm of calcium and loads of alkalinity.

All corals seem to do fine in the ocean at an average of 1280 ppm magnesium. perhaps that is not optimal for some corals, but it is sufficient for them to thrive.
You read through it, awesome. Not sure where the 980 came from either. The whole Mag topic was brought on by the new guy trying to offer advise to the OP. With the tank only being 2 months old and no calcification and weekly water changes, with reef crystals I deduced that his Mag wasn't low enough to contribute to the corals decline, since owning lights similar to OP and knowing at 100% intensity he was likely burning the corals the same way I did at 80% intensity. Pretty simple solution with no need to even bring Mag into the conversation at this point. While Mag is important I can't see OPs dropping rapidly to think such is the problem at this time.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was looking at the post on a cell, but I would have swore I seen a mag level of 980.

I didn't read that correctly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back