Nitrite-0ppm

Nitrate-10ppm

pH-8.0

Dkh-8.0

Calcium-450ppm

Phosphate-(0-.25ppm)

Specific gravity-1.026

Temp-80F

I understand that my coral are hurting but I’m unsure why. I seem to have my parameters in check. I’m not chasing numbers just a weekly 10-20% water change. This tank is 2 months old so it’s not as mature but I already went through diatoms I’m sure some cyano here and there is coming. I just don’t know what to do. It eats when I spot feed but it’s never out. I’m just at a loss at this point.

4702114F-FDC4-4A59-9919-0E949A88BE7B.jpeg 436AF4CF-DDBF-47C6-9BFB-D9A35CF07C18.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jgv34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters look good. How's your lighting and flow? Have you ever taken a PAR reading?
No I haven’t I have everything based off of brs tv video on the blackbox lights. I have had my viparspectra at 24 inches above surface of tank with 100% blues and 1% whites because they’re so strong. According to the height my Par should be at or under 100 par through and through. The only area would be the center where it would be closer to 160 or something like that. I was told the light could be too bright on Reddit but wouldn’t it bleach if that was the case? I haven’t had brown jelly either just closed and looking like crap.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You left the most important parameter out, Magnesium. I will bet it's low. They like about 1500.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You left the most important parameter out, Magnesium. I will bet it's low. They like about 1500.
No, he is cooking his coral. Those lights are very strong. I had those lights sister version at similar settings but much lower and cooked my branching hammer and frogspawn. Now with lights at 1o and 1 % my coral is growing like weeds in a 210g 30 inch deep tsnk

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got bad info. They don't bleach, you just get a slow decline. Ask me how I know? I did the same thing for years before I figured it out using 60% B. Then raised them to 80 thinking they were weak lights. Turn your blue down to 10 and leave w at 1

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No, he is cooking his coral. Those lights are very strong. I had those lights sister version at similar settings but much lower and cooked my branching hammer and frogspawn. Now with lights at 1o and 1 % my coral is growing like weeds in a 210g 30 inch deep tsnk
He does have them too bright for sure, but Euphyllia are very sensitive to Mag. It is critically low at 980, everything should be dying if his test kit is correct.

He needs to start jumping Magnesium rather quickly. He also said he is having issues with Alk and Calcium. He's having issues with those because his Magnesium is dangerously low.

Speaking of cooking coral, I remember someone else who did that with some T247s wasn't it? Wonder who that was?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does have them too bright for sure, but Euphyllia are very sensitive to Mag. It is critically low at 980, everything should be dying if his test kit is correct.

He needs to start jumping Magnesium rather quickly. He also said he is having issues with Alk and Calcium. He's having issues with those because his Magnesium is dangerously low.

Speaking of cooking coral, I remember someone else who did that with some T247s wasn't it? Wonder who that was?
T247 me all day long. I already said that above. Low mag won't really mess with them. Never had to add it in 10 years of growing and selling these professionally. He is doing enough water changes. It should not be dangerously low by any means

OP
OP
J

jgv34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a magnesium supplement by brightwell but I was told not to raise by more than 100ppm Since I don’t have a test kit yet. My lfs sells the magnesium salifert test for $55 which isn’t exactly cheap. I was also told by people on Reddit not to dose anything without being able to test for it. I’m thinking raising by 100ppm would only benefit as people raise it higher than average for killing certain algae.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a magnesium supplement by brightwell but I was told not to raise by more than 100ppm Since I don’t have a test kit yet. My lfs sells the magnesium salifert test for $55 which isn’t exactly cheap. I was also told by people on Reddit not to dose anything without being able to test for it. I’m thinking raising by 100ppm would only benefit as people raise it higher than average for killing certain algae.
That's rite. Don't add anything unless you know what the desired results will be. Same for lighting. When I made my mistakes there was not a ton of knowledge out there. Now there is more. The only way your Mag would be low is if you had not done any water changes at all.

OP
OP
J

jgv34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high above the surface did you have your light? I have mine 24 inches above the surface? I turned it down to lower light.

OP
OP
J

jgv34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will dosing 5ml of brightwell magnesio every other day give me benefits regardless of anything? I want to do it as a precaution. Although I feel like reef crystals would have that covered.

OP
OP
J

jgv34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got bad info. They don't bleach, you just get a slow decline. Ask me how I know? I did the same thing for years before I figured it out using 60% B. Then raised them to 80 thinking they were weak lights. Turn your blue down to 10 and leave w at 1
Also I just realized that what I thought my par was at was way the **** off lol. I went back to the brs video and the par at the levels I had them were 150 par at the edges lol. I’m stupid. Do you think 20 blues would be alright? The tank is in my living room and light spillage makes the light look dull at 20. Surely it’ll be an improvement don’t you think? I’ll upgrade my light eventually for better color and stuff but I’m stuck with this for now.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 blues would be fine if your still 24 inches off the water. Remember mine are thriving at 10. And 8 inches off the water

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want that dim look, if it looks like you have a nuclear reactor in your living room, it's to bright lol. My growth did not take off until I dimmed it way down

OP
OP
J

jgv34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want that dim look, if it looks like you have a nuclear reactor in your living room, it's to bright lol. My growth did not take off until I dimmed it way down
yeah no I get it. thank you! I also moved the coral to the substrate. Hopefully things start turning around over the course of the next couple of weeks!

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be able to tell in a few days as the coral starts reaching for the light instead of hiding from I. Good luck

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back