OP
OP
N

newreef_sb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do. But we haven't added new coral for a while so they are back to normal settings. Would the lights being 20% higher cause a mass prolonged die-out of one type of coral all in different parts of the tank? I'm just not seeing the reliance? Sorry.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not uncommon to lose euphyllia in a 5 month old tank. Still somewhat unstable and biome is still in early development.

OP
OP
N

newreef_sb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do. But we haven't added new coral for a while so they are back to normal settings. Would the lights being 20% higher cause a mass prolonged die-out of one type of coral all in different parts of the tank? I'm just not seeing the reliance? Sorry.
Not a great photo but you can see that the base is the same when it was thriving. The algea was there the day we got it.

Attachments

• IMG_3962_Original.jpeg
    IMG_3962_Original.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
N

newreef_sb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not uncommon to lose euphyllia in a 5 month old tank. Still somewhat unstable and biome is still in early development.
This or bacterial infection was what I was worried about. Our LFS tested our parameters over a month and nothing changed so they advised it would be okay to add them, but I was worried it may just be too early in tank development. I just wasnt sure since we have 20+ other corals and they're all THRIVING. We're obviously waiting on any acros and Gonis, perhaps we need to wait for Euphyllia too.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This or bacterial infection was what I was worried about. Our LFS tested our parameters over a month and nothing changed so they advised it would be okay to add them, but I was worried it may just be too early in tank development. I just wasnt sure since we have 20+ other corals and they're all THRIVING. We're obviously waiting on any acros and Gonis, perhaps we need to wait for Euphyllia too.
Yeah i tried some torches and othery euphyllia early on with poor results but after about 10 months tank started to get more stable and euphyllia started to thrive. One thing I found is torches like light but low moderate flow. Mine are in 250 par with a gentle sway.

OP
OP
N

newreef_sb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i tried some torches and othery euphyllia early on with poor results but after about 10 months tank started to get more stable and euphyllia started to thrive. One thing I found is torches like light but low moderate flow. Mine are in 250 par with a gentle sway.
It's just weird because our parameters have been completely consistent! We check twice a week and they have never really changed at all. I don't know, we got an ICP test to see if it's maybe a micronutrient causing an issue.

carloriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your salinity. It happened to me about 3 month ago and it was that the salinity was high.I used a refractrometer but my calibration solition was bad and i calibrated high.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having some weird euphelia stuff going on. Wondering id they have some kind of bacterial infection. Thinking of running a round of chemiclean just to see.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just weird because our parameters have been completely consistent! We check twice a week and they have never really changed at all. I don't know, we got an ICP test to see if it's maybe a micronutrient causing an issue.
Possible so ICP test is good but just give your biome time to mature more. Verify par in different areas of your tank and don't run flow to high for LPS. I have a mixed reef with 38 SPS frags and colonies. 4 big torches, big gonis, etc... my MP40s run at 26% during the day and 20% overnight.

OP
OP
N

newreef_sb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having some weird euphelia stuff going on. Wondering id they have some kind of bacterial infection. Thinking of running a round of chemiclean just to see.
I was thinking bacterial too. I only have one Euphyllia left so have been dipping him in hopes to keep him alive

King Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem, couldnt find a test reading off . Changed salt nothing , changed dosing pump, changed heater and took uv out , did an icp and nothing . I was doing 10-20 percent water changes weekly.still one a week or two would die until it hit every single coral soft, lps , sps nothing stopped until i broke down my tank, sucked out 100 percent of the water rinsed the sand. Put it all back together over 20 hrs. finally things stopped dying . Even a toadstool was shedding and trying to have the green polyps come back and they would shed again. I will never know what it was.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things I noted. The Nitrate at 0 . That needs to be boosted. My Nitrates were crazy low for a while, largely due to bryopsis . My corals were ok but really happy. Got rid of the excessive growth with flux and my Nitrates are about 12-15 now. Corals much happier. Also torches can be in pretty high flow. I have several reefing friends that have theirs in pretty strong flow and par as high as 300. Mine are in modestly strong flow and par of about 270. You might want to try a round of Cipro as well, esp. if you see any signs of Brown Jelly .The related Fimbriaphyllia (Frogspawn, Hammers) will prefer less par and gentler wavy flow.

OP
OP
N

newreef_sb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things I noted. The Nitrate at 0 . That needs to be boosted. My Nitrates were crazy low for a while, largely due to bryopsis . My corals were ok but really happy. Got rid of the excessive growth with flux and my Nitrates are about 12-15 now. Corals much happier. Also torches can be in pretty high flow. I have several reefing friends that have theirs in pretty strong flow and par as high as 300. Mine are in modestly strong flow and par of about 270. You might want to try a round of Cipro as well, esp. if you see any signs of Brown Jelly .The related Fimbriaphyllia (Frogspawn, Hammers) will prefer less par and gentler wavy flow.
I think you misread, nitrite is at 0. Nitrate is at 10, which we were told was ideal. Could maybe bump up a bit, but it's not far off from the 12 you suggest.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back