Help. Tank is dying

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasnt the stray voltage thing been debunked?
The fish are not grounded.
Exactly. Stray voltage doesn't exist. That's not how electricity works.
A lot of misleading and distracting info about it in this thread.

I used to work for marine biologist (grad students) we’d section of 10’ portion of a river and electro shock that section…all the fish would come up floating….but that was a 3 second shock, I’m sure if the fish we’re getting a continuous or even multiple bits of current…they’d die.
And we did over 25 miles of river at 10’ sections…brutal
Not comparable with reef tanks though. In your case you very likely used two electrodes and higher voltages with a tool specifically made to shock aquatic animals.

My first idea looking at op description was sudden oxygen depletion or poisoning.

Last edited:

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? What happened overnight?

amarck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not comparable with reef tanks though. In your case you very likely used two electrodes and higher voltages with a tool specifically made to shock aquatic animals.

My first idea looking at op description was sudden oxygen depletion or poisoning.
I had a popular water quality checker short out in my tank when i overfilled the aio it was in. Killed all of the fish 1 shrimp but the rest of the inverts lived. Had no clue what happened.

But, I had a cut on my hand and when i put it in the tank i felt a slight burn/tingle. Removing the tester removed the tingling.

My hunch is that this was electrical.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Stop spreading false statements. It was stray voltage. You know nothing about electricity... neutrals are grounded. The fish doesn't need to be standing on a floor without ESD protected boots to be electrocuted.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a popular water quality checker short out in my tank when i overfilled the aio it was in. Killed all of the fish 1 shrimp but the rest of the inverts lived. Had no clue what happened.

But, I had a cut on my hand and when i put it in the tank i felt a slight burn/tingle. Removing the tester removed the tingling.

I'm glad you figured it out. Go buy a meter anyways...

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Either way they were shocked , I believe if a fish gets whacked a couple times in a small enclosed environment…..they’re gonna die. Stray voltage does exist, I get paid on a daily basis to eradicate it.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal I usually keep to myself with stuff like this and I bow to your time and experience on R2R. I typically very much appreciate your help, but twice now you've "laughed" and my comments in this thread, and on another thread you mentioned that my advice was incorrect, while ignoring my full post. I would like to know what's wrong with the following postings please:
The Calvary has arrived.

The OP posted numbers in their first post, all look in-line, and the OP stated they had their LFS test the water and confirm.

Tap water, which we are all questioning.

OP posted no videos, but did post a couple pics; fish look stressed, and on their sides.

I think many of us think this is some kind of external poison like a cleaning product or something. What do you think?

EDIT: And either way, what should the OP do? Massive water change?
I'm not the OP, but are you thinking the skimmer may be running out of control if there's a toxin present, especially an organic toxin like a coral toxin? Or, are you thinking the skimmer may be importing toxins from the room that tank is in, like cleaning products?
Keep your UV off during your cycle. The UV damages bacteria, preventing them from reproducing. While the majority of nitrifying bacteria grow on surfaces like your rocks and sand, and are not just free floating in the water column, it's still a good idea to keep your UV off during the cycle when you're trying to grow beneficial bacteria.
This is not true. The bulk of your nitrifying bacteria is not in the water column.
I did actually mention that. But I had always read that it's still a good idea to keep the UV off during the cycle. Your thoughts?
Did I do something to upset you?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal I usually keep to myself with stuff like this and I bow to your time and experience on R2R. I typically very much appreciate your help, but twice now you've "laughed" and my comments in this thread, and on another thread you mentioned that my advice was incorrect, while ignoring my full post. I would like to know what's wrong with the following postings please:

Did I do something to upset you?
I apologize to the OP, I should not have posted this in the OP's thread, I'm not trying to create drama. But was there any update? How are your feesh??

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would unplug everything immediately and go out and buy a meter if I was you. Once you aquire Meter, plug everything in and test. If you have voltage, unplug everything ans plug in one at a time. If you need help with this, text me 317-5two6-628l. I'll be up for a few hours. Walmart has them.
Stray voltage is a nonsense myth.

Any electrical leakage in the tank has nowhere to go and nothing would happen.

You may feel a tingle if you're earthed and there is a leaky device, but for the inhabitants - nada.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray voltage is a nonsense myth.

Any electrical leakage in the tank has nowhere to go and nothing would happen.

You may feel a tingle if you're earthed and there is a leaky device, but for the inhabitants - nada.
Yeah, when I started reading this thread I thought of the typical stray voltage excuse for why animals are dying. But after thinking about it, the fish are not grounded, so the current (which is much more important than voltage) cannot pass through them, and therefore they should be fine. Same reason airplanes can get zapped by lightning in flight, and the same reason birds can perch on electrical wires safely.

I'm definitely not encouraging anyone to be unsafe with their tanks, themselves or their family - please be smart, but the idea that random, stray electricity in the tank can kill fish and inverts is, I think, greatly overstated.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Electrical potential is the same in the whole tank as in the wires. There is no current flowing without ground. That's literally the reason why birds can sit on non isolated power lines. If there was significant current flowing through the tank, you would have felt more than a tingle.

Either way they were shocked , I believe if a fish gets whacked a couple times in a small enclosed environment…..they’re gonna die. Stray voltage does exist, I get paid on a daily basis to eradicate it.
Sounds like you're getting paid scamming customers then

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical potential is the same in the whole tank as in the wires. There is no current flowing without ground. That's literally the reason why birds can sit on non isolated power lines. If there was significant current flowing through the tank, you would have felt more than a tingle.

Sounds like you're getting paid scamming customers then

I work up to 120,000. Volts………I don’t scam anyone. Ask people who live next to a high line about stray voltage….

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work up to 120,000. Volts………I don’t scam anyone. Ask people who live next to a high line about stray voltage….
The way you wrote your comment earlier seemed like your customers were reefers and you were working with mains voltage. This is a reef forum. I may be wrong but last time I checked, reef tanks didn't have to handle up to 120.000 Volts. At this voltages, parasitic/stray capacitance plays a significant role which doesn't exist in every day life.
OP asked why his reef animals died. Please use a bit of common sense.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOLing at all the web developers thinking that they know anything about current flowing through a circuit because they saw Joe Blows YouTube.

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way you wrote your comment earlier seemed like your customers were reefers and you were working with mains voltage. This is a reef forum. I may be wrong but last time I checked, reef tanks didn't have to handle up to 120.000 Volts. At this voltages, parasitic/stray capacitance plays a significant role which doesn't exist in every day life.
OP asked why his reef animals died. Please use a bit of common sense.
That comments not necessary….I was basically trying to say stray voltage exists….no need to get nasty. When we electro shocked fish in rivers they were fish 10 times the size of these little fish, they were stunned but not killed, I was just curious as to little fish getting shocked in an enclosed environment and being under stress……but thanks for your common sense remark….

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back