Euphyllia flow (hammers vs frog/octospawn)

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’ve had a pink hammer and a purple/green frogspawn for quite awhile now. The hammer doesn’t seem to mind heavier flow and will get blasted at least once every 10 mins or so with the right flow and expose its mouth while polyps go crazy. The frogspawn did okay in the same flow but didn’t open as much so I moved it to the other side of the hammer and it’s opened much more now although one head still gets decent flow and isn’t as open.

This past weekend I happened to pick up a nice orange/pink octospawn and splatter hammer from RAP Orlando. I placed the octospawn where the p/g frogspawn use to be but it didn’t open for 2 days. So I’m now trying nestled between the my other euphyllia and it’s already opened up more than before. While the splatter hammer is in a high flow spot and is twice if not three times as fluffy as it was at the show and seems to be doing excellent.

So has anyone else noticed that different euphyllia can take different flow? Is this as simple as each euphyllia likes different flow?

Just did a water change but I will try and get some pics/video in a little once water clears.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’ve had a pink hammer and a purple/green frogspawn for quite awhile now. The hammer doesn’t seem to mind heavier flow and will get blasted at least once every 10 mins or so with the right flow and expose its mouth while polyps go crazy. The frogspawn did okay in the same flow but didn’t open as much so I moved it to the other side of the hammer and it’s opened much more now although one head still gets decent flow and isn’t as open.

This past weekend I happened to pick up a nice orange/pink octospawn and splatter hammer from RAP Orlando. I placed the octospawn where the p/g frogspawn use to be but it didn’t open for 2 days. So I’m now trying nestled between the my other euphyllia and it’s already opened up more than before. While the splatter hammer is in a high flow spot and is twice if not three times as fluffy as it was at the show and seems to be doing excellent.

So has anyone else noticed that different euphyllia can take different flow? Is this as simple as each euphyllia likes different flow?

Just did a water change but I will try and get some pics/video in a little once water clears.
I’ve found that shorter tentacled euphylias (pretty sure hammers and frogspawn have been reclassified and aren’t Euphyllia anymore, they’re in the genus Fimbriaphyllia now, torches are still Euphyllia though) like lower to moderate flow and the longer tentacled like moderate flow.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MaxTremors interesting didn’t know hammers and frogspawn have been reclassified. And you might be onto something the hammer does have much longer polyps then the frogspawn ever has have too.
Yeah, it was something I just read about recently. I imagine it will be like when Acanthsestrea Lordhowensis was reclassified to Micromussa Lordhowensis, people still just call them acan lords, people will still refer to hammers and frogspawns as Euphyllia. But it’s interesting, we’ve always known that just like M lordhowensis not getting along with A echinata, frogspawns and hammers can coexist and touch each other but torches will sting both of them (same with ‘orange lobophylia’ not getting along with other lobophylia, because they were really Acanthastrea pachysepta all along). Anyway, probably more tedious information than most people care to know, but if you want some further reading about the reclassification of hammers and frogspawns, here’s a study:

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it was something I just read about recently. I imagine it will be like when Acanthsestrea Lordhowensis was reclassified to Micromussa Lordhowensis, people still just call them acan lords, people will still refer to hammers and frogspawns as Euphyllia. But it’s interesting, we’ve always known that just like M lordhowensis not getting along with A echinata, frogspawns and hammers can coexist and touch each other but torches will sting both of them (same with ‘orange lobophylia’ not getting along with other lobophylia, because they were really Acanthastrea pachysepta all along). Anyway, probably more tedious information than most people care to know, but if you want some further reading about the reclassification of hammers and frogspawns, here’s a study:

Thanks I’ll give it a read sometime!

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are the two spots I have tried with this octospawn so far.

The first pic is where it is currently and the most open it’s been since I got it home. in the second pic I tried where the red dot is.
689D83D9-C8F9-46DB-ABF4-9913D7E6883F.jpeg
8877E039-DE4F-4824-BEF5-0D76DEDA8F9B.jpeg

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just have a gold hammer and a green hammer. I run 2MP40s in a 24” cube. But I put the in the corner behind a large piece of LR. Run the power heads at 52% on reef crest since I have a mixed tank

Attachments

• 67E42093-8FE2-4AF3-A01F-B477E0708036.jpeg
    67E42093-8FE2-4AF3-A01F-B477E0708036.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 55

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back