Euphyllia, regular issue

ziga88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My name is Jacek and is it my first post here.

My first reef tank 40liters has 5month. On the beginnig, it was plan to has simple tank with soft corals, but finally i love euphyllia soo much, that it will be euphyllia garden:)

Unfortunatly, I have issue with some corals and i am not able to manage it. Everyday, arround 4 pm , part of euphillia (normally few of them, for rest i dont observe) suck in skelletton in relly short time. Often, in exactly the same moment. It is happends from beginning of tank. All of them (Not including one euphyllia) , whole day is in excellent condition. After suck in, it takes 1-2 hours to Come back.

I am already started dosing All for reef, more or less 3ml per day. It is added in RO water, then leveling system is adding more or less, 3times 1ml in day.
From media, i use only carbon in panel.

Second light was added, configuration changed few times.

My ph is arround 7.8 - 8, but i dont measure everyday.
Yesterday, i added co2 scrubber to be sure that dont drop too low and too fast.

I noticed, that KH drop during day from 8.2 to 7.8, other day 8.6 to 7.8(Hannah) . Tomorrow, i will buy dosing pump (h2ocean p1) to adding smaller and regular dose of AFR.

No3 is normally from 0.5 - 3 during week(salifert).
Po4 normally 0 to 0.04(hannah)

All of the euphyllia, i was dip in SEACHEM and CORAL PROTECT few times

2weeks ago i changed salt from AF reef salt to RS blue. I changed 3 Times, 20%water every two days.

Before, i was changing regulary 20% per week, and from now i will do do the same

A lot of changes, good, and not good. But euphyllia do more or less the same.

Like i wrote, some action are planed and we will see effects.

But maybe someone are able to propose something else, or had simillar situation.

Maybe other dip?

IMG_20230129_155418.jpg IMG_20230122_165024.jpg Screenshot_20230129_162627_com.inledco.fluvalsmart.jpg ps. Sorry for my English, is not my home language. IMG_20230129_155144.jpg IMG_20230129_165507.jpg IMG_20230129_122943.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ziga88

ziga88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past yes, and i was thought that light is directly connected with issue. I changed light configuration 1 week ago, dimming start at 6 pm. Euphillia still do the same much before it. Second, i thing that light should't make soo big stress on euphyllia...

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia need nitrates at 10 to 15. Yours are to low but since you say this happens everyday in the afternoon it is probably the coral just responding to the light going into sunset mode. Some corals close up quick others go slow until the tank is dark.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ziga88

ziga88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks for me like stress. Sometimes release brown slimes like on last pictures. After 1 hour wake up again. Maybe, light is ON too long and they want to go to sleep, but is not possible...

Light on pictures, light is ON from 7:30 am to 9:30PM, 14hours.... quite long. But i have 3h sunrise and 3h sunset...

Upvote 0

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks for me like stress. Sometimes release brown slimes like on last pictures. After 1 hour wake up again. Maybe, light is ON too long and they want to go to sleep, but is not possible...
i think it’s releasing excess zooxanthellae because of either too much light or too much food. i wouldn’t change anything though just let it adapt.

i am no expert though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ziga88

ziga88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think it’s releasing excess zooxanthellae because of either too much light or too much food. i wouldn’t change anything though just let it adapt.

i am no expert though.
Hmmm blue euphyllia on the bottom of tank was good, when i decided to put it on rock closer to light, she was look un happy for 1 week, now have temporary issues. Maybe, I was make changes on light too often....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ziga88

ziga88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euphyllia need nitrates at 10 to 15. Yours are to low but since you say this happens everyday in the afternoon it is probably the coral just responding to the light going into sunset mode. Some corals close up quick others go slow until the tank is dark.
How to keep nitrate 10-15? I had no hair algea. I started dosing AF No3 for few days to increase to stable 3. Algae appeared quickly and stayed until today .... I had to hire more snails and crabs to control it....

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to keep nitrate 10-15? I had no hair algea. I started dosing AF No3 for few days to increase to stable 3. Algae appeared quickly and stayed until today .... I had to hire more snails and crabs to control it....
Your tank is only 5 months old. You are going to have various ugly phases throughout the first year. Corals need nutrients. Euphyllia like nitrates at 10 but you can always try a low nutrients approach and see how it works out for you. Ultra low nutrients systems were a fad awhile back but if you bottom out GHA will be the least of your worries. Tanks typically go through GHA phase around 5 to 8 month mark. It's part of the evolution process for the tank especially with dead rock start ups.

Upvote 0
Back