Euro bracing

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top of my overflow is flush with the rim (top) of my glass. (see photo) The only way to install my euro bracing is on the top of the glass. I have looked at many tanks, especially one tank from "Tidal Gardens" that has there euro bracing 1" thick at least, on top of the tank instead of on the inside!!! And other tanks with the bracing on the inside. The inside measurement's of my tank is 23"H x 23"W x 59"L. All 1/2" glass. The overflow is 20" which leaves me only 1 1/2" on each side, and the two long braces would not fit either. I guess I'm forced to install the euro on the top. Maybe someone from the #reef squad could give some good advice!! THANKS David

20210411_114750.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this will help, but I have a Glass Cages tank that has two layers of euro bracing. Here's a picture:

1618312040198.png

The wider piece of glass is on the inside while the thinner pieces are on the top/outside. The whole thing is covered with a very thin plastic frame.

For the overflow, it was left open.....here's a picture when the tank was just delivered inside my front door. You can see the opening where I eventually installed the overflow.

1618312228911.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this will help, but I have a Glass Cages tank that has two layers of euro bracing. Here's a picture:

1618312040198.png

The wider piece of glass is on the inside while the thinner pieces are on the top/outside. The whole thing is covered with a very thin plastic frame.

For the overflow, it was left open.....here's a picture when the tank was just delivered inside my front door. You can see the opening where I eventually installed the overflow.

1618312228911.png
Looks like you have a plastic or aluminum frame around the tank, so I guess you had to install the euro bracing on the inside of your tank???

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the company that made the tank did it this way. Again, wider cross braces installed on the inside, thinner top frame, all the way around, installed on the outside, and finally wrapped with that plastic trim.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the plastic rim used? Is it just for protecting the glass edge? I ask because with the cut out part of it for the overflow, it seems like it wouldn't be giving much structural support.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not there for structure. Believe it's just there to make the edge look pretty. It's thin plastic "L" shape trim.

OP
OP
D

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the company that made the tank did it this way. Again, wider cross braces installed on the inside, thinner top frame, all the way around, installed on the outside, and finally wrapped with that plastic trim.
You had your tank made by a company, this is my first go at building an aquarium. I bought the overflow before I had the glass cut to size the overflow came with a template for drilling the holes, sent this with all the measurements to the company who cut the glass. NOT thinking about euro bracing as I wanted a rimless tank, but came to find out later that 1/2" glass would "probably" not take the water pressure. So that's when I started thinking about the euro bracing. So the way I look at it the only choice I have is to have the glass re cut, and drilled (a two month waiting time here in Panama) or installing the euro bracing on the top. Having never done this in my 75 yrs. sure is a learning experience.

OP
OP
D

David Abbott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had your tank made by a company, this is my first go at building an aquarium. I bought the overflow before I had the glass cut to size the overflow came with a template for drilling the holes, sent this with all the measurements to the company who cut the glass. NOT thinking about euro bracing as I wanted a rimless tank, but came to find out later that 1/2" glass would "probably" not take the water pressure. So that's when I started thinking about the euro bracing. So the way I look at it the only choice I have is to have the glass re cut, and drilled (a two month waiting time here in Panama) or installing the euro bracing on the top. Having never done this in my 75 yrs. sure is a learning experience.
I plan to install a double 4" center brace in the center under the top mounted euro brace.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back