Eurobrace opinions

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting back into the hobby and am planning on ordering a new tank with Coast to Coast and was wondering what the board thinks about Eurobracing. Yea or Nay?

The tank is 48x30x16 tall so it's not necessary for strength (I think).

Of course I have been absorbing YouTube videos for weeks now and seen rimless and braced. Some folks have said the eurobrace is a convenient shelf when you're working in the tank. That, to me, seems like yer asking for trouble. One mismoved elbow and into the tank goes something you didn't want.

I've also seen folks say it aids with salt creep; I've seen other say that it's just another surface that has to be cleaned of salt.

Other cons: I've seen people with braces complaining about attaching lights (not an issue for me) and the braces getting in the way of powerhead wiring etc.

So, does anyone care to share their experiences or opinions regarding Eurobraces?

Thanks

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 48x30x16 long so it's not necessary for strength (I think).
It depends on thickness of glass and how safe you want it to be. I wouldn't want a tank that big without some bracing, but people are different

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think eurobraced looks nicer than rimless. I've had both, would do euro every time.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank doesn't have a eurobrace but I would like one... splash guard and I use lids... and a lid inside a brace is way cleaner then sitting on the rimless edge. Unless you run an open top... rimless isn't as clean.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4.5" eurobrace on my acrylic 30x30. I wish I had opted for 3/4" thickness and reduced it's width to maybe 3". I also would have had my builder drill holes for pump wires to pass through. I wouldn't go back though. I love having a place to set things. I spilled over the edge often with my rimless. Then I cracked the top corner with a pyrex measuring cup...whoops. Eurobrace would have taken that blow and been more easily replaced.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both rimless and eurobrace, I like the eurobrace, every time i splash water over the rimless i think this, or all the times it probably saved fish from jumping! I've lost more fish out of the rimless, knock on wood not one out of the eurobrace. I have snails that crawl out of the rimless and dry up on the floor, this has never happened on the eurobrace. I can place the pellets on my eurobrace when feeding.

If the tank is up past your eye level and you can't see the brace then no problem, but the rimless absolutely looks the cleanest, especially when the salt creep and dust piles up on the eurobrace. If you let the salt build up on the under side of the eurobrace it can fall in coral and burn it, I try to keep the salt creep under it to a minimum by splashing it with the magnet cleaner once and a while.

The only thing I worry about is the par blocking but I really dont think it kills the par especially if you keep it clean and the lights low.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" glass, no brace. 1/2", I'd brace. I had a lot of bowing on a 1/2" glass 48" rimless (24"H), and silicone failure. I don't buy the splashing problem. Don't be sloppy. Eurobraced I've had, were always dirty looking. Keeping the underside of the braces clean was a pain. Current tank is 3/4" rimless with D&D Jumpguard. Great combo in my opinion.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" glass, no brace. 1/2", I'd brace. I had a lot of bowing on a 1/2" glass 48" rimless (24"H), and silicone failure. I don't buy the splashing problem. Don't be sloppy. Eurobraced I've had, were always dirty looking. Keeping the underside of the braces clean was a pain. Current tank is 3/4" rimless with D&D Jumpguard. Great combo in my opinion.
You better buy it, the splashing problem is real!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a rimless. I rarely splash any water over the edge when cleaning. Just have to pay attention near the top :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got rimless tanks now and have had no issues , given that your only 16 inches high and 30 inches deep 3/4 “ thick it probably wouldn’t be necessary . That being said peace of mind and depending where your putting it I might consider euro bracing for 30” deep going 48 long especially if your using the clear low iron glass .

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have both; braced acrylic and rimless glass. I'll take rimless any day; I LOVE the open water...like an infinity pool.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both; braced acrylic and rimless glass. I'll take rimless any day; I LOVE the open water...like an infinity pool.
Accessibility is just fantastic on rimless. That is my only gripe with my eurobrace. I would go with a 1 1/2" eurobrace in the future. I don't care if it's an inch thick. Keeps the splashes out, but still can easily reach in the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back